Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 10:37:23 AM EDT
My old computer wigged out. I was using XP Pro but not the MS antivirus program. I used AVAST and Zone Alarm for years with no problems.

My replacement OS will be Windows 7 Professional wXP Mode, 64-bit.

How effective is their current anti-virus program? Should I just go with it or reload the pair I was using?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It's all I use on Windows systems anymore.  MS Security Essentials is GTG.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I like it. i installed in months ago and other than having it catch a few things, i haven't given it a second thought.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
its shockingly pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This, on all counts.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all. I'll go with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This, on all counts.

Yep. Why anyone would think of paying for consumer AV solutions is beyond comprehension!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#7]
It's all I use at home and it's been pretty darned good.  I haven't seen anything get through it yet.

I've been using the new beta version 2 that is out.  I haven't noticed a difference from the first one, but version 2 is supposed to have better firewall integration and network security.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's all I use at home and it's been pretty darned good.  I haven't seen anything get through it yet.

I've been using the new beta version 2 that is out.  I haven't noticed a difference from the first one, but version 2 is supposed to have better firewall integration and network security.

It's good to go.

Beta 2 version eh?  I'll have to check that out.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#10]
what is this AV you speak about?

do I need it for my hackintosh?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My old computer wigged out. I was using XP Pro but not the MS antivirus program. I used AVAST and Zone Alarm for years with no problems.

My replacement OS will be Windows 7 Professional wXP Mode, 64-bit.

How effective is their current anti-virus program? Should I just go with it or reload the pair I was using?

Yes, it's effective without over-taxing system resources. In fact, I'll say it's the best AV program out there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I use MSE, Threatfire, Malwarebytes & Sandboxie.

Adding Threatfire (free) to MSE gives you a different method of protection. MSE is a definitions based AV, Threatfire is a behavioral based system. In tandem they work great.
Using a sandbox for your browser will block most web based attacks. It works best in a 32 bit system but is still good on a 62 bit system. Sandboxie is a free sandbox program.

Malwarebytes: I use the free version to scan and remove anything that gets by the AV. So far it has not found anything that got by my AV & sandbox.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Git yer gay stuff outa this man thread!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
MS Security Essentials is GTG.

+ 1
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Git yer gay stuff outa this man thread!!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#17]
It is working well for me...I think.  No problems anyway.  Was recommended by the guys who had to reformat my hard drive after the last virus problem.

dvo
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Been using it for a while on two pc's and two laptops, it's been effective up until a couple of weeks ago, I started having issues with my wifes laptop and lo and behold somehow a TDSS rootkit got into the system and fucked up the MBR, fought with that for a week with a buddy of mine that worked for Micro$oft consumer security and finally got it out, after the damage was done, now I have to reload the operating system, going with Win 7 over the shit they call Vista.

In short I'm considering going back to Avast with Spybot S & D. As always YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I should add that I also install Malwarebytes in case something slips by MSSE.  Also, an anti-malware hosts file is a good idea, too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been using it on my home systems for a while now.  It's good.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#22]
yes use that and download malwarebytes and you should have all you need.

The MSE program was rated very high and it does not slow your computer down like Norton

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top