Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 9:04:59 AM EDT
I have fairly coarse facial hair that is not uniform in growing pattern and have struggled with finding a good electric razor. Can anybody suggest one that they use that is good on battery life and also easy to keep clean?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Norelco 7810 I picked up at Wal-Mart most days. You can rinse it with water without damaging it, and the battery lasts a long time.

There are cheaper Norelco shavers out there, but they don't have the battery life this one does. The 7810 uses a Li-Ion battery so it lasts me over two weeks no problem between charges. The cheaper models use older technology batteries (maybe Ni-Cad?)

When I have the time I use a Mach 3 razor for a real close shave, but the Norelco is a decent utilitarian electric shaver. I've heard good things about the Braun foil shavers too, but I am used to the triple head Norelco style so that's what I got. I guess if you're not used to this style it can irritate you, but I have a bit of a baby face and it holds up fine to the Norelco. You just have to take a little care so you don't jab yourself too hard with it at a weird angle.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Braun Series 6 that I love.  I think they're up to 7 now though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Braun makes a good shaver, get the Activator, not sure what series they are up to now, but it works better than any other and I've tried a bunch.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#4]
No such thing
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Learn to shave like a grown-up and buy a real razor. You'll get closer shaves and less skin irritation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Learn to shave like a grown-up and buy a real razor. You'll get closer shaves and less skin irritation.

I have one, a really nice old fashioned safety razor that is great but not for use overseas. It was a gift from my wife last Christmas and with the brush, teak bowel, and silver shave bowel is VERY expensive.

This wil be for use while in Iraq.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Definitely go Braun.  The first electric I bought was a Remington and foils would only last me about 3 months before turning into a cheese grater and I could only get a few days on a battery.  My Braun I can get over 2 weeks on a charge and the last set of foils lasted me almost 2 years.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#8]
DE Safety Razor.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I gave up on electrics and went back to  Fusion blades. Better shave, only a tad slower.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Occam
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Anything Braun.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#13]
The Braun self cleaning ones are great. I was suspicious of them, but they work very well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Panasonic, can't kill the damn thing. Washable, it will work on battery or on the cord. Way better than the POS Braun that I had before.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have fairly coarse facial hair that is not uniform in growing pattern and have struggled with finding a good electric razor. Can anybody suggest one that they use that is good on battery life and also easy to keep clean?

Honestly, if you have course facial hair just give up and stick with soap and blade.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#16]
the braun stuff if great- i have a 360 complete that i use for daily shaves, and a DE safety razor that i use for special occasions.

here's the thing- when you get the braun give it about 2 weeks before you declare that it's garbage.  it took my beard a while to adjust to it, probably my technique as well, but i wasn't impressed with the first few shaves.  after the break-in period it does just fine.  the self-cleaning cartridges might be tricky to get over there is the only drawback i can think of.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Braun Series 7.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]

OK, you convinced. me.  I compared this model to the other Panasonic offerings, and this one hits the nail on the head.  Doesn't have the self-cleaning option, which I don't want or need.  Has everything else I need to replace my 10 year-old Panasonic model.  Don't need to replace it, as it's still going strong, but what the heck.

I can think of no reason to consider anything but the Panasonics - mine has been great, and the Linear Motor is the best choice (by far) for an electric razor.

Looks like I'll be buying the ES8243A very soon.  (I changed my post above to point to this one...

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Occam

*golf clap*

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

OK, you convinced. me.  I compared this model to the other Panasonic offerings, and this one hits the nail on the head.  Doesn't have the self-cleaning option, which I don't want or need.  Has everything else I need to replace my 10 year-old Panasonic model.  Don't need to replace it, as it's still going strong, but what the heck.

I can think of no reason to consider anything but the Panasonics - mine has been great, and the Linear Motor is the best choice (by far) for an electric razor.

Looks like I'll be buying the ES8243A very soon.  (I changed my post above to point to this one...

You won't regret the purchase, love mine!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#24]

In, before the zit beard.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the braun stuff if great- i have a 360 complete that i use for daily shaves, and a DE safety razor that i use for special occasions.

here's the thing- when you get the braun give it about 2 weeks before you declare that it's garbage.  it took my beard a while to adjust to it, probably my technique as well, but i wasn't impressed with the first few shaves.  after the break-in period it does just fine.  the self-cleaning cartridges might be tricky to get over there is the only drawback i can think of.

What's a DE safety razor?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double Edged...nice stuff!

I like mine, but it is not suitable for field use.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double Edged...nice stuff!

I like mine, but it is not suitable for field use.

Like this?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-De89lbl-Double-Safety/dp/B002RBF1PO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1284514121&sr=8-5
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I used a Norelco triple head since about 1975 and was pleased. It does take a while to get accustomed to one.

Recently I started back with a gillette fusion(five blade head) razor and honestly it's so quick and smooth I prefer it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I have used the SAME Braun for about a decade to shave my head and occasionaly my face.It still works great as long as I change the razor-foil at the recomended yearly basis.Some of the rubber grip recenlty begain to loosen so I super glued it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No such thing

+1

I've tried a few brands and styles and never get a good shave

I usually go a few days between shaving and they are good for thinning it out a bit before hitting it with a blade

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Occam

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#33]
go Double edge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top