BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/14/2010 8:09:02 AM EDT
Justice Stephen Breyer: Is Burning Koran 'Shouting Fire In A Crowded Theater?'

September 14, 2010 6:52 AM

Last week we saw a Florida Pastor  – with 30 members in his church – threaten to burn Korans which lead to riots and killings in Afghanistan. We also saw Democrats and Republicans alike assume that Pastor Jones had a Constitutional right to burn those Korans.  But Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer told me on "GMA" that he's not prepared to conclude that –– in the internet age –– the First Amendment condones Koran burning.

“Holmes said it doesn’t mean you can shout 'fire' in a crowded theater,” Breyer told me. “Well, what is it?  Why?  Because people will be trampled to death.  And what is the crowded theater today?  What is the being trampled to death?”

Click here to read what advice Breyer has for incoming Justice Kagan.

Last week President Obama told me that Pastor Jones could be cited for public burning – but that was “the extent of the laws that we have available to us.”  Rep. John Boehner said on "GMA" that “just because you have a right to do something in America does not mean it is the right thing to do.”

For Breyer, that right is not a foregone conclusion.

“It will be answered over time in a series of cases which force people to think carefully.  That’s the virtue of cases,” Breyer told me. “And not just cases. Cases produce briefs, briefs produce thought. Arguments are made. The judges sit back and think. And most importantly, when they decide, they have to write an opinion, and that opinion has to be based on reason.  It isn’t a fake.”

Breyer, the author of “Making Our Democracy Work,” told me it’s a “rickety system” –– but it’s worked “fairly well” for a long time.

––George Stephanopoulos

http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2010/09/justice-stephen-breyer-is-burning-koran-shouting-fire-in-a-crowded-theater.html#tp
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Last week we saw a Florida Pastor  – with 30 members in his church – threaten to burn Korans which lead to riots and killings in Afghanistan. We also saw Democrats and Republicans alike assume that Pastor Jones had a Constitutional right to burn those Korans.  But Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer told me on "GMA" that he's not prepared to conclude that –– in the internet age –– the First Amendment condones Koran burning.

“Holmes said it doesn’t mean you can shout 'fire' in a crowded theater,” Breyer told me. “Well, what is it?  Why?  Because people will be trampled to death.  And what is the crowded theater today?  What is the being trampled to death?”

Last week President Obama told me that Pastor Jones could be cited for public burning – but that was “the extent of the laws that we have available to us.”  Rep. John Boehner said on "GMA" that “just because you have a right to do something in America does not mean it is the right thing to do.”

“It will be answered over time in a series of cases which force people to think carefully.  That’s the virtue of cases,” Breyer told me. “And not just cases. Cases produce briefs, briefs produce thought. Arguments are made. The judges sit back and think. And most importantly, when they decide, they have to write an opinion, and that opinion has to be based on reason.  It isn’t a fake.”

Breyer, the author of “Making Our Democracy Work,” told me it’s a “rickety system” –– but it’s worked “fairly well” for a long time.

––George Stephanopoulos

http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2010/09/justice-stephen-breyer-is-burning-koran-shouting-fire-in-a-crowded-theater.html#tp

But I imagine that same idiot would say it is ok for the Westboro loons to picket military funerals.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  Just wow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll bet he thinks that burning the flag or a Bible is protected by the 1A.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

––George Stephanopoulos

But I imagine that same idiot would say it is ok for the Westboro loons to picket military funerals.

i guess the public fail has been in not killing and roiting over the god hates fags people.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:But I imagine that same idiot would say it is ok for the Westboro loons to picket military funerals.

Or to burn Bibles. Or our flag.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:But I imagine that same idiot would say it is ok for the Westboro loons to picket military funerals.

Is there ANYTHING dumber than a libtard?  I MEAN IT!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Then he should resign of be tried for treason/impeached
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And again. Do any of you guys out there know just exactly how fucked we all are?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1

and a huge -1 for Breyer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't know about the Bible but, IIRC, flag burning is protected.

Maybe if some flag burning heads were sawed off this would change.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Probably only the American flag.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Y'all do realize Bryer is a current Justice on the Supreme Court?

He isn't taking a definitive stance on an issue that may come before the Court.  He's expressing the fact that there are two ways to view this issue - that while the common thought may be that burning the Koran is a constitutionally protected act, it may be viewed otherwise.  That does not mean he's saying it ISN'T a constitutionally protected act, just that one could make an argument it isn't.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Well, I'm 'not prepared to conclude' that Justice Breyer believes in the Constitution in the first place.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Thats it folks, from what i read here from a few and now SCOTUS and others, the terrorists have won
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Already been decided I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Just goes to show... in the modern world, the violent wheels gets the grease.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Rep. John Boehner said on "GMA" that "just because you have a right to
do something in America does not mean it is the right thing to do.”

THAT IS THE FUCKING POINT ABOUT THE MOSQUE, DICKHEADS.

But that can't be a two-way standard, nooooo, 'cause that'd be discriminatory.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there ANYTHING dumber than a libtard?  I MEAN IT!!

it doesn't look like it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Rep. John Boehner said on "GMA" that "just because you have a right todo something in America does not mean it is the right thing to do.”

THAT IS THE FUCKING POINT ABOUT THE MOSQUE, DICKHEADS.

But that can't be a two-way standard, nooooo, 'cause that'd be discriminatory.

Actually, Boehner said that the burning and the mosque were the same thing, using those exact words.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/08/news/la-pn-boehner-koran-20100909

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#20]
The fact that he can see where an argument could be made is proof that he is open to that argument. There shouldn't be any question at all. Creating panic in a theatre and someone on the otherside of the planet getting angry aren't remotely related.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The fact that he can see where an argument could be made is proof that he is open to that argument. There shouldn't be any question at all. Creating panic in a theatre and someone on the otherside of the planet getting angry aren't remotely related.

As a judge, he has to be open to both sides of an issue before arguments are made.  And as a general rule, SCOTUS justices don't publicly take a stand on issues that may come before the court.

If you were a litigant, would you want to have a judge thats already expressed he doesn't agree with your side of the argument before he heard your case, or would you want him to recuse himself and get another judge that hasn't already shown he is against your side?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Like I said in a previous thread on this subject:

The violent reaction by Islamic extremists is now considered so inevitable, that anyone who angers them is considered the de-facto perpetrator of the violence.

Bizarre.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Then he should resign or be tried for treason/impeached

Yep! The 1st amendment doesn't condone anything, it prevents the government from stopping you.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Like I said in a previous thread on this subject:

The violent reaction by Islamic extremists is now considered so inevitable, that anyone who angers them is considered the de-facto perpetrator of the violence.

Bizarre.

Interesting way of putting it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Yet THIS is taxpayer-funded "free speech":

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Breyer is so morally and intellectually corrupt that it's not even funny. That asshole has stopped even PRETENDING like he's trying to follow the law.  He's just makin shit up based on his personal beliefs.  I guess flag burning, bible burning, and hate speech against white males, Christians and anyone affiliated with the Republican party is ok,  but if it's against liberals, muslims or gays, it's not protected.

right, gotcha.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Oh for fuck's sake. You guys LOVE trotting out Piss Christ.

Well I tell you what, start killing artists that offend you, and they'll lose their 1A protection, too.

Have fun!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#28]
OMG.  That guy is losing it.  

Light'em up.  Burn'em up.  Flame on.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Justice Breyer is a buffoon who long ago gave up any pretense to giving two shits about the law.

Clinton really fucked us with that one - I fear Sotomayor and Kagan will be worse.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

wait.. so if we all riot in the streets, then magically they dont have the right to build the mosque?  maybe obama suddenly doesnt have the right to burn thousands of bibles.

UTTER BULLCRAP.  1A specifically protects offensive and provocative speech, there is absolutely no need to protect innofensive speech!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just goes to show... in the modern world, the violent wheels gets the grease.

This +87
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

He's noting, however obliquely, that it could happen *here*.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

"Holmes said it doesn’t mean you can shout 'fire' in a crowded theater,” Breyer told me. "Well, what is it?  Why?  Because people will be trampled to death.  And what is the crowded theater today?  What is the being trampled to death?”

Last week President Obama told me that Pastor Jones could be cited for public burning – but that was "the extent of the laws that we have available to us.”  Rep. John Boehner said on "GMA" that "just because you have a right to do something in America does not mean it is the right thing to do.”

"It will be answered over time in a series of cases which force people to think carefully.  That’s the virtue of cases,” Breyer told me. "And not just cases. Cases produce briefs, briefs produce thought. Arguments are made. The judges sit back and think. And most importantly, when they decide, they have to write an opinion, and that opinion has to be based on reason.  It isn’t a fake.”

Breyer, the author of "Making Our Democracy Work,” told me it’s a "rickety system” –– but it’s worked "fairly well” for a long time.

––George Stephanopoulos

Or that we live in a Democracy. Him confused.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's noting, however obliquely, that it could happen *here*.

Yep, and the more "tolerant" & "pc" we become (because of dick-breaths like him), the faster it "will" happen here.

Thanks alot assholes..................
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#35]

This man should not be making up shit as he goes along.  Freedom of speech is a FUNDAMENTAL right in the United States.  You don't fuck with it.  Ever.  No matter how many people get pissed off.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#36]
If you can burn the flag, you can burn books too. Can't have it both ways.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
It doesn't condone it.

But it does protect it.

Just like it protects any other form of self-expression that does not inflict harm on others.

Now if a person is using a burn of a flag, or Holy Book to entice a riot it then becomes illegal.

These shit-stains we have for politicians need to get on the same page instead of trying to word-dance around shit, to protect their jobs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Wonder how long it has been since Breyer has had a physical?

Every opinion that has come out of the dude in the past year smells of senility... At 73, it wouldn't be unheard of and the opinion expressed in that article runs totally counter to other opinions he has issued from the bench.

I'm going with age related cognitive deterioration and giant ego for $500 Bob.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

––George Stephanopoulos

This is why you can't make exceptions and reinterpret the constitution. One exception, and any nut can change the law to be anything they want!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

and a huge -1 for Breyer.

I swear, it is almost like these tards think Muslim domination of the world is inevitable and they are coddling them in hopes of retaining a seat at the table of power for themselves or descendants.

Of course the hippies, peaceniks and liberals would be the first one getting heads lopped off, but they don't seem to understand that.

ETA: attitudes like that could create yet another whole class of "hate crime". See England for the way that turns out.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Come to a head, this will.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Holmes said it doesn’t mean you can shout 'fire' in a crowded theater,” Breyer told me. "Well, what is it?  Why?  Because people will be trampled to death.  And what is the crowded theater today?  What is the being trampled to death?”

Last week President Obama told me that Pastor Jones could be cited for public burning – but that was "the extent of the laws that we have available to us.”  Rep. John Boehner said on "GMA" that "just because you have a right to do something in America does not mean it is the right thing to do.”

"It will be answered over time in a series of cases which force people to think carefully.  That’s the virtue of cases,” Breyer told me. "And not just cases. Cases produce briefs, briefs produce thought. Arguments are made. The judges sit back and think. And most importantly, when they decide, they have to write an opinion, and that opinion has to be based on reason.  It isn’t a fake.”

Breyer, the author of "Making Our Democracy Work,” told me it’s a "rickety system” –– but it’s worked "fairly well” for a long time.

––George Stephanopoulos

Or that we live in a Democracy. Him confused.

Nice catch.

People that sit on SCOTUS (or in Government in general) and push the "we are a Democracy" need to be called on it EVERY FUCKING TIME.

It's another sign of libs co-opting and warping the language to push their agenda.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Just for sake of arguement, the fire in a crowded theatre arguement can be used for flag/Quran/Bible burning.

If you know it will start trouble.....

(yeah, I am trying to throw a wrench into the works.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This man should not be making up shit as he goes along.  Freedom of speech is a FUNDAMENTAL right in the United States.  You don't fuck with it.  Ever.  No matter how many people get pissed off.

Except it's already been fucked with.  Chaplinsky v New Hampshire.

If the government deems something to be offensive enough, they can prohibit you from saying/doing it and be within their constitutional bounds, according to the USSC.

Nice, huh?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#46]
fuck him and them

oh no, don't say anything that might offend someone.

hello, FUCK THEM

we should fuckin' destroy them all chinese style, on your fucking knees and one in the head

lets all live in fear, not
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#47]
he's not prepared to conclude that –– in the internet age –– the First Amendment condones Koran burning.

Of course it doesn't 'condone' it.  It does protect it though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

"Holmes said it doesn’t mean you can shout ‘fire’ in a crowded theater,” Breyer told me.

I can see how the general public can be ignorant, but how can a Judge on
SCOTUS be unaware that was dictum and Schenck was overturned by
Brandenburg in 1968 anyway?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shouting_fire_in_a_crowded_theater

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#49]
He obviously needs to be removed ASAP.

He is either attempting to trash the constitution or has some severe case of stupid.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Back in line citizen

You have no rights

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top