Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 11:00:28 PM EDT
Looking for a compensator for my 16" .308 AR, and would prefer something that won't absolutely piss off everyone near me.  Do the KX3's or Levang Linear compensators actually compensate, or are they really only effective in reducing sound and flash to the shooter?

I'm more interested in actual compensation than noise reduction, but a best-of-both would be pretty fucking awesome.  I'm thinking about one of these if the kx3 or levang won't do it:

http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=52

Reviews online are pretty wicked, my primary goal is taking it from a 'fun for a bit' rifle to a 'fun all day' rifle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for a compensator for my 16" .308 AR, and would prefer something that won't absolutely piss off everyone near me.  Do the KX3's or Levang Linear compensators actually compensate, or are they really only effective in reducing sound and flash to the shooter?

I'm more interested in actual compensation than noise reduction, but a best-of-both would be pretty fucking awesome.  I'm thinking about one of these if the kx3 or levang won't do it:

http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=52

Reviews online are pretty wicked, my primary goal is taking it from a 'fun for a bit' rifle to a 'fun all day' rifle.

best of both worlds would be a can, just saying....

I wouldn't expect any miracles from the noveske pig, truthfully. Maybe a little.. never used one on a .308 gun before but on a 16" .556, I thought of it as extra weight on the front of the gun for little, if any, gains.. it  wasnt my gun though...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one on my 5.56 AR... not too much recoil there in the first place but the KX3 is pretty heavy so I'm sure it'd be helpful on a .308
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#3]
you should check out a battlecomp.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
While the guns with Hogs I have shot have all been 5.56 guns (and thus it's hard to judge recoil with them at all), I'd say the hog may have even slightly increased felt recoil, rather than decrease it, compared to the A2 flash hider, and had nothing at all similar to the recoil reducing effect of a good compensator.

Works great at making things quieter for the shooter, and making anyone downrange go "what the holy living fuck was that?!?"

If you want a comp, get a comp.

If you want a flash suppressor, get a flash suppressor.

If you want a sound suppressor, get a sound suppressor.

If you want reduced recoil, and reduced flash, jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none style, there are options... But the Hog is not one of them.

TR85.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I would think it would increase recoil. The way the design looks it would trap the blast inside the hider with no relief cuts(like in a A2) in top of the hider and therefor force the muzzle up more when fired.

AFAIK it is a flash hider(more like a blast redirector) used for QCB so you don't have a bunch of muzzle blast blowing out of the sides and hitting team members. The only thing I'd run it on would be a SBR and would prefer a suppressor over it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:11:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

you should check out a battlecomp.

I really like the look of that!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
While the guns with Hogs I have shot have all been 5.56 guns (and thus it's hard to judge recoil with them at all), I'd say the hog may have even slightly increased felt recoil, rather than decrease it, compared to the A2 flash hider, and had nothing at all similar to the recoil reducing effect of a good compensator.

Works great at making things quieter for the shooter, and making anyone downrange go "what the holy living fuck was that?!?"

If you want a comp, get a comp.

If you want a flash suppressor, get a flash suppressor.

If you want a sound suppressor, get a sound suppressor.

If you want reduced recoil, and reduced flash, jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none style, there are options... But the Hog is not one of them.

TR85.

This.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:42:40 AM EDT
[#8]
i've shot a few different guns with the KX3 on them, none of them seemed to have reduced recoil...in a couple cases it seemed there was more felt recoil with it on the gun.

helped a bit with the noise, though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:14:43 AM EDT
[#9]
The noveske is NOT designed with recoil reduction in mind. It's borrows from an AK muzzle device design. The Knight's Armament SuperTap will likely be king of the hill when it's released.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top