Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 6:48:42 PM EDT

My sister told me her 15 yo daughter had 15,000 text messages last month! WTF??? How is that possible???

15,000 texts per month =
3,750 texts per week =
500 texts per day.

Even if she NEVER slept, that comes out to 20 text messages per hour.
As it so happens she gets plenty of sleep, sleeps in every morning and even takes naps at my house (lives on the same street), so even if she texted for 10 straight hours/day that comes out to:
50 texts per hour, almost once every minute......nonstop.

OK, maybe this qualifies me for "grumpy old man" status, I'm in my forties, but I just can't figure out how anybody could send 500 text messages each and every day???? There's no way I'd spend that much time typing on a cell phone even if we had cells when I was a teenager. I can back it up....I had Intellivision as a kid and never played it (for the young'uns here, Intellivision was one of the first video game systems, came out not too long after Atari), I turned it on once and got bored. I didn't have another video game system until almost 25 years later, a Playstation, and that just turned out to be an overpriced DVD player, we used it once to play PacMan.

To make it even more confusing, I install communications systems for a living so you'd think I'd understand. Commercial phone systems, voice recorders, autodialers, voicemail, conference bridges, auto attendants, fax servers, SIP servers to integrate IM with IP phones, email, cell phones.........but I'm still baffled.

Am I alone here? Do kids actually talk to each other any more using their vocal cords?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Women
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
That's nothin, I have a friend that had 40,000...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

how is that possible? you would have to be sending the same message to 5 people or something
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
You can sent the same text to 20 people at once
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet a lot of that is Chain texts (jokes) that she just forwards to everyone on her list. So you could get one joke per hour that you bounce to your 49 friends and theres your 50/hr.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

how is that possible? you would have to be sending the same message to 5 people or something

It was his first girlfriend...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIUcRJX9-o
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I only push that many when I am doing telemetry.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
OCD
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My sister told me her 15 yo daughter had 15,000 text messages last month! WTF??? How is that possible???

15,000 texts per month =
3,750 texts per week =
500 texts per day.

As it so happens she gets plenty of sleep, sleeps in every morning and even takes naps at my house (lives on the same street), so even if she texted for 10 straight hours/day that comes out to:

OK, maybe this qualifies me for "grumpy old man" status, I'm in my forties, but I just can't figure out how anybody could send 500 text messages each and every day???? There's no way I'd spend that much time typing on a cell phone even if we had cells when I was a teenager. I can back it up....I had Intellivision as a kid and never played it (for the young'uns here, Intellivision was one of the first video game systems, came out not too long after Atari), I turned it on once and got bored. I didn't have another video game system until almost 25 years later, a Playstation, and that just turned out to be an overpriced DVD player, we used it once to play PacMan.

To make it even more confusing, I install communications systems for a living so you'd think I'd understand. Commercial phone systems, voice recorders, autodialers, voicemail, conference bridges, auto attendants, fax servers, SIP servers to integrate IM with IP phones, email, cell phones.........but I'm still baffled.

Am I alone here? Do kids actually talk to each other any more using their vocal cords?

and i'm sure that a faif amount of those were done while driving.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

15,000 texts per month =
3,750 texts per week =
500 texts per day.

and i'm sure that a faif amount of those were done while driving.

Probably not.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Find yourself a young whore and you'll shock yourself how many texts you end up sending at the end of the month.

And picture mails
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I've maybe sent 10 texts my whole life
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Trust me it is possible. You have to keep in mind these text messages are going out to dozens of different people and she probably only spends an average of 5 seconds on each one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#15]
There was some guy up at the Verizon store when I was upgrading phones, he had a daughter that had over 25,000 texts in 1 month.  He also did not have the proper coverage for it, It was .10 per text
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are logged into Aim or Icq, everyone that post gets sent as a txt. So if you are on a busy chat room it can add up to a lot of txts quick.
If you have limited txt, Don't forget to log out or you will be sorry.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#17]
15,000 text messages in one month?

A teenaged girl?

What don't you understand?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#18]
It's possible. I have a friend with three college age daughters. In one month between the three of them, they sent around 35,000 messages. Thank God for umlimited texting plans.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, that actually makes me feel better about the 3,500 that were on my itemized statement last month (unlimited).   Those are incoming AND outgoing though.  

15,000 is a lot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#20]
When you are texting WTF, OMG, etc... it's easy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Your niece is a lightweight. My daughter has done 20,000 in a month.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

15,000 texts per month =
3,750 texts per week =
500 texts per day.

500 texts probably means a combination of receiving and sending..

I can see 500 txts a day being done.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Not to mention that the total includes coming and going texts.

I have a 12 year old that averages about 17k a month, and she's actually pretty good about not ALWAYS having the phone in her hands.

She pulls straight A's in school, so I turned on unlimited texting.  She kept the A's, so she keeps the texts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

15,000 texts per month =
3,750 texts per week =
500 texts per day.

So what did you post in honor of post #22300?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

15,000 texts per month =
3,750 texts per week =
500 texts per day.

So what did you post in honor of post #22300?  

God knows.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#26]

sleep texting, it's being studied at a very high level university as we type

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Sexting probably accounts for a large portion of that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sexting probably accounts for a large portion of that.

Ewwww, this is my niece we're talking about here....let me live in my denial, I still see her as the 3 year old little girl asking me to push her on the swings and play with her stuffed animals. I still can't figure out when she learned to spell, nevermind type.......don't ruin it for me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd straighten that little bitch out with some good ol' fashioned yard work....

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Each "moan" counts as one message.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had 9,500 a month before.

/shrug
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I wonder how many were either sending sexual signals to guys or guys trying to get sexual favors?

I know when I was 15 the only reason I used the phone (land line) was to hook up with chicks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Each "moan" counts as one message.

what about courtesy moans?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Your niece is a lightweight. My daughter has done 20,000 in a month.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd straighten that little bitch out with some good ol' fashioned yard work....

That's his niece.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Not really that surprising actually.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You can sent the same text to 20 people at once

Bingo when ever they do anything they txt it to all of their friends not one or two like a normal person. The funny thing is after txting every stupid thing they do to everyone they know they then bitch about others doing the same to them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Wut r they texting?

Stuff like:
1 Wut r u doin
2 Nuthing
3 U?
4 Nuthing
5 Wanna see nekid pix?
6 OMG
7 Sure
8 U first
9 LOL OK

Repeat a few million times
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I believe the record holder is a female college student from Singapore which had send over 50,000 cellphone message in a month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top