Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 5:28:18 PM EDT
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24979774/detail.html
County Sues Farmer, Cites Too Many Crops

Posted: 5:20 pm EDT September 12, 2010Updated: 10:00 am EDT September 13, 2010
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. –– DeKalb County is suing a local farmer for growing too many vegetables, but he said he will fight the charges in the ongoing battle neighbors call “Cabbagegate.”

Fig trees, broccoli and cabbages are among the many greens that line the soil on Steve Miller’s more than two acres in Clarkston, who said he has spent fifteen years growing crops to give away and sell at local farmers markets.

“It's a way of life, like it's something in my blood,” said Miller.

In January, Dekalb County code enforcement officers began ticketing him for growing too many crops for the zoning and having unpermitted employees on site.

Miller stopped growing vegetables this summer and the charges were put on hold as he got the property rezoned.

Two weeks after approval, however, his attorney said the county began prosecuting the old charges, saying he was technically in violation before the rezoning.

“It should go away. I think it borders on harassment,” said Miller’s attorney Doug Dillard.

Miller faces nearly $5,000 in fines, but he said he plans to fight those citations in recorders court later this month.

A county spokesperson said officials can’t discuss the matter while it is in court, but neighbors were quick to come to his defense.

“When he moved here and I found out what he was doing I said, ‘Steve, you’re the best thing that ever happened to Cimarron Drive. And I still say that,” said neighbor Britt Fayssoux.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats retarded
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
He should be happy the feds haven't come to assrape him for interfering with interstate commerce.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thread title isn't exactly correct.....

The county is prosecuting for violations that occured PRIOR to the rezoning approval.  Still sounds a bit retarded but not quite what the OP would like you to think.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
He's gonna have to 1099 everyone soon.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The county is prosecuting for violations that occured PRIOR to the rezoning approval.  Still sounds a bit retarded but not quite what the OP would like you to think.

Brian

So there`s that common sense I`ve been looking for.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Brian

a bit retarded?  no it's fully retarded.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone_Will_Be_Here_Shortly_To_Explain_Why_This_Makes_Sense.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Brian

The county is probably prosecuting him because he doesn't have a business license and per existing law, didn't need one. Since they couldn't get any of his $$$ through the usual legal extortion methods, they decided to sue him.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga....former district of Cynthia McKinney...what else can ya say
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#11]
The idea had been growing in my brain for some time. True force. All the king's men cannot put it back together again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#12]
They want his land. This is just the first salvo.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Perfect example of why zoning at the rural county level is BULLSHIT.   Zoning is for subjects not free landowners.   Did I mention I hate HOA's and Zoning.  If you want a bunch of anal retentive buttheads telling you what to do on your property  move to the city, otherwise  do not bring your stupid zoning to the rural areas.  Zone that.....

Edited to add.  Here in the country we have animal agriculture,  THEY STINK LIKE SHIT,  If you don't like to smell animal shit  don't move here, simple.  Now move back to the people confinement area you came from with all the stupid rules and choke on it. Don't bring your stupid rules to the rural areas with you,  you are defeating the purpose of why you moved here.  .......You know, more elbow room and freedom........
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thats retarded

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I find it really sad that so many here don't even grasp that it was this kind of shit the Colonists went to war with the King over.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Brian

Seriously? Growing too much stuff is an area of concern for the government? This is worth the time of the local prosecutors and LE to get involved in? It sound like the county and the DA's office has too much money, prosecutors, inspectors, and time on their hands. It is high time the county started firing people and cutting budgets.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

The guys is "selling at local farmers markets" - does that make the operation a business and thus subject to whatever zoning/employment/business laws would be relevant?  I don't know.

Brian

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

The guys is "selling at local farmers markets" - does that make the operation a business and thus subject to whatever zoning/employment/business laws would be relevant?  I don't know.

Brian

if he makes a profit, maybe.  if not then no.  if he gives it away and sells it then i seriously doubt hes making anything off it. "oh no, hes paying for seeds, GET HIM!"

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#20]
for growing vegetables on his private property

WTF happened to this country?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#21]
We're all just renters and the government is the landlord.

Don't believe me? Don't pay your property taxes... see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#22]

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

He should be happy the feds haven't come to assrape him for interfering with interstate commerce.

Yes, it reeks of Wickard vs. Filburn.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

Brian

if he makes a profit, maybe.  if not then no.  if he gives it away and sells it then i seriously doubt hes making anything off it. "oh no, hes paying for seeds, GET HIM!"

Even if he doesn't make a profit, the FDA and EPA have the ability to harass him. Look into the battles that unpasteurized hippie dairy farmers have been fighting. Anything consumed by humans in theory has to comply with big brother.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What you did there?I see it.

I mourn for what my country has become...........

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Out of control government.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh shit... someone might become one step closer to being self reliant and a benefit to his surrounding neighbors....

Not sucking on the .GOV Tit.... SHAME ON YOU SIR!!!!

wtf...

We don't technically own anything anymore...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Lets see.. Hmm.. Oh yes here it is from the archives. I'll paraphrase

If you don't want to pay the fine don't break the law !!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Oh, I can't wait to see this this explanation
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

But can't the same thing be said about the county and it's zoning laws? That ruling still needs to be overturned though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I see we have quite a few dissenters present.
We have buses coming for you, and please move to the rear and no talking.
Plenty of time to talk to your processor at the camp.
Your re-education process will be very exciting for you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They want his land. This is just the first salvo.

Also a valid possibility. We'll probably read about them raising taxes next.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#34]
This is what zoning is all about.  CONTROL, GRAFT,CORRUPTION, AND BIG GOVERNMENT.  

The big guy has the lawyers and has the inside lane to get the variance that they want with little or no trouble .  The small guy gets the shaft.

Bureaucrats laugh and hold you over the barrel while code enforcement puts the fines to you until all the liens and judgements are more than the property is worth.  

Just another fuck story.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Government Thugs, all of them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top