Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 3:36:57 PM EDT
Anybody have any info on how reliable the new Jeep Grand Cherokee might be? In the past I would never have considered buying a domestic due to quality problems. However the finance rates are really low here for a new Grand Cherokee Overland model 2011.  The other vehicle I was looking at was the new Toyota 4Runner Trail. Its a nice truck, but the interior on the new Grand Cherokee is nice looking. Also whats the thoughts on the new Pentastar V6 in it?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know anything specific about them, but they do look interesting.. Almost range rover like, aka lots of techie stuff..
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The new (2011+) Jeep Grand Cherokee is totally new and is probably the BEST vehicle Chrysler has made to date.

They pulled out all of the stops in an attempt to make this vehicle a world class SUV.  They have a LOT riding on the success of this vehicle since its the first all new design since their bankruptcy.  The very future of their company may ride on it so there is little doubt they made the best vehicle they could.

Feature-wise, it is outstanding.  Performance is among the best Jeep has ever produced (On and Off road).  With the Quadra-Lift suspension, you can raise or lower the vehicle to a minimum height of about 6 inches and a max height of almost 11 iches of clearance.

BTW... I plan on purchasing one very soon (its actually on order already).

For loads of info and pics, you might want to try the Jeep site:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/2011-wl-jeep-grand-cherokee-691346/

http://www.jeepforum.com/

And here is a blinged out one:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
NEVER EVER buy the first year model.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at my post count.

Look.

1/2 of them are me bitching about my Cherokee.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know about the new one but the Grand Cherokee I had in the late 90s early 2000s was the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned.  I don't think that I will ever buy domestic (at least Jeep/Chrysler) after that experience.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Most certainly never buy a Jeep 1st model year.  I made that mistake with the TJ.  Ass loads of electrical problems
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought my 02 Jeep Liberty new, it has been in the shop ONCE. I used to park it by some railroad tracks at work, and during the day the vibration would make my alarm go off. After a year or so one of the horns quit working. They warranteed the horn and it hasnt been in the shop since.

I replaced a simple $13 card that made the fan go 1, 3, 4. When that card went out the fan stopped doing 2.
I would not hesitate to buy another new Jeep.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anybody have any info on how reliable the new Jeep Grand Cherokee might be? In the past I would never have considered buying a domestic due to quality problems. However the finance rates are really low here for a new Grand Cherokee Overland model 2011.  The other vehicle I was looking at was the new Toyota 4Runner Trail. Its a nice truck, but the interior on the new Grand Cherokee is nice looking. Also whats the thoughts on the new Pentastar V6 in it?  

I own a '04 Grand Cherokee, let's just say I don't recommend one to anyone....ever! So far, I've fixed the HVAC three times at a cost of over 4K. Replaced the front tranny seals twice, the rear's once. Break disks once due to warpage and she eats pads. Mind you, I only have 82K miles and it's been serviced at suggested and driven normally.

Avoid at all costs...Go with a 4Runner.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh I forgot having to replace 3 window regulators since buying it new.  Run away!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a new vehicle so obviously the jury is out on reliability.

I can say that my 2008 Grand Cherokee has been solid as a rock. The only two problems it ever had were driver's side power mirror stopped working and tailgate would not open. Both problems were when the vehicle was new and fixed under warranty. Zero problems in the 3 years since.

The Pentastar V6 supposedly has a decent increase in power and gas mileage compared to the 3.7 V6 in mine.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 2006 grand cherokee, new radio at 26k, new temperature sensor(transmission) module at 42k, radio was covered under warranty, the shift thingy they had on hand and it was a 700 dollar part made in czech republic that I got for 150. I like the way it looks and handles, I am uncertain about its long term reliability. Consumer Reports hates the grand cherokee, this 2011 model? I'd skip the first 2 years...let them work out the bugs and then buy one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#12]
its still made by the UAW paid for with my money.

thanks but no thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I looked at a new one at the dealership

fuckin awesome
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah the past history of the Cherokee puts me off abit. The SUV is nice looking though and has all the features. Compareable stuff from Land Rover is probably even far worse in reliability and is more cash. The 4Runner is rock solid, but the interior in the trail is very plain and plasticky.  I had an Audi TT 2001 so I am no stranger to automotive disasters. I want a decent SUV that will last 6-8 years, due good mileage and have some reasonable off road ability.

I also want something that just blends in and isnt to flashy.  

Anybody recommend anything else? Up here the Overland before taxes is about 49K.  The 4 Runner Trail is about 45K.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#15]

'05 WK (Grand Cherokee Limited) 61,000 miles..in the shop because the Navigation cd was bad...it has been bullet proof. It still rides great..brakes are fine, I've had issues with Jeep brakes in the past. The engine/power is phenom. I love it. Would have kept it but decided to have no more payments..I will get another pretty soon..same year too.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife had a '10 with 30k on it already as a rental for her work. She took it in for scheduled oil change and the mechanic noticed a ticking noise. Turned out to be the timing belt. The rental place gave her a '10 edge. Both vehicles are decent rides. But, we were disappointed in the Jeep's timing belt issue...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
yeah the past history of the Cherokee puts me off abit. The SUV is nice looking though and has all the features. Compareable stuff from Land Rover is probably even far worse in reliability and is more cash. The 4Runner is rock solid, but the interior in the trail is very plain and plasticky.  I had an Audi TT 2001 so I am no stranger to automotive disasters. I want a decent SUV that will last 6-8 years, due good mileage and have some reasonable off road ability.

I also want something that just blends in and isnt to flashy.  

Anybody recommend anything else? Up here the Overland before taxes is about 49K.  The 4 Runner Trail is about 45K.

My FIL recently bought a '10 4Runner limited to replace his '93 4Runner after the block cracked. That '93 POS only had 486K miles and had only needed standard wear-tear items replaced before giving up the ghost. He loves his '10 Limited, the inside is very nice plus it will likely last well beyond your use. The JGC will be lucky to see 100K before major work is required given past JGC history.  He paid 43K USD out the door so given equal money for the Cherokee you're foolish to go with the Jeep IMO.

Edit: Visit a Jeep board and read some on previous and current model issues before pulling the trigger. Putting the whole Obama/UAW issue aside, I find it beyond impossible the company was able to dramatically improve the product in the '11 model year. Yeah, maybe I'm a bitter owner stung by a lemon but my research post purchase says I'm not a minority.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's a new vehicle so obviously the jury is out on reliability.

I can say that my 2008 Grand Cherokee has been solid as a rock. The only two problems it ever had were driver's side power mirror stopped working and tailgate would not open. Both problems were when the vehicle was new and fixed under warranty. Zero problems in the 3 years since.

The Pentastar V6 supposedly has a decent increase in power and gas mileage compared to the 3.7 V6 in mine.

Haven't had to do anything to my 09 either

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Forgot to add the 3 fucking window motors I had to replace because of a crappy plastic and cable design.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#20]
It's based on the Mercedes M-class platform (minus some forged parts and add serious off road ability).
I'm not so sure it's formidable rock crawling prowess is necessary for it's segment.
Comprehensive service insurance might be a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Forgot to add the 3 fucking window motors I had to replace because of a crappy plastic and cable design.  

You too? I had the driver, passenger and rear passenger's window regulators fail. Of course they fail and the damn window falls during a rain storm. Do you know the joys of a "blend door" fail? Oh tht's yet another quality part by our friends at Jeep.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#22]
The last Chrysler product that I owned was a 78 Dodge Aspen, it was a terrible car, 125,000 and the whole thing was pretty much worn out. I've never owned a Jeep, but looking Consumer's Report dismal reliability index for Chrysler cars, I think the odds are against you that you will get a good reliable vehicle. Chrysler has had a continuous multiple years of black marks, so consider yourself warned.

ETA:
Personally, I would not buy a version 1.0 of anything. Version 1s always have bugs in them because they never seem to allocate enough development time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#23]
After reading some of these previous posts, I think I'll go out and kiss my '04 Grand Cherokee Laredo (4.0L inline 6 cylinder).  

Bought new in '04. 110,000 miles on it.  I think I've replaced the brake pads. I know I've put plugs in it.

I've changed the oil every 5000 miles with Castrol Syntec.

I've had to replace the rear end lube because the limited slip wasn't slipping. I should have just bought the Chrysler additive. That's what fixed it in the end.

I've towed my 4500 pound boat to the ramp and back in the heat of NC summer, around all the tourists.

Drove in the loose sand of Onslow Beach (towed a few guys out with it, too).

Oh, and I've had to replace a 15 amp fuse.

Maybe I just got lucky.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#24]
As far as grand cherokees go

ZJ-WJ = awesomeness

WK = hit or miss

New one = jury out since it's a brand new model

I'd wait a year or so at least. My sister got a Liberty on 0% in '06 and the only issue its had is the crappy window regulators. All were replaced under warranty though. Other than that no issues or shop visits other than routine (as in: things you do to keep a vehicle running properly per manufacturer recommendations) maintenance.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This.  Been there too many times.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Test drove a 2011 Laredo the other day. It was the 6cyl Pentastar and seemed to lack a bit of power for a heavy vehicle. I would go for the Hemi for sure. The interior is a huge upgrade from the WK and I like the overall look except the tail lights.

The Quadra-Drive11 system does not have the ELSD in the front axle any more so that is a draw back. The brakes and HVAC system are much improved over the old WJ. Many vehicles have that crappy plastic loop on the power windows so this is not a Jeep only problem. I would avoid the inflateable suspension option as it could be problematic.

Cant remember what the gas mileage ratings for the new Hemi were but they were pretty impressive. I get 20 MPG all day long on the hiway with my 05 Hemi Grand. I think the new one was 24 or 25 MPG.

I have 70,000 miles on my first year model  05 WK and so far I have replaced the tires, brakes, battery and starter motor.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

After reading some of these previous posts, I think I'll go out and kiss my '04 Grand Cherokee Laredo (4.0L inline 6 cylinder).  

Maybe I just got lucky.

I forgot to add on my 02 Liberty- Im still on the OEM battery.

And no fuse changes.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I currently own a 2005 Limited 4x4 V8 Toyota 4Runner.

It will be the LAST Toyota I ever buy!!!

It's only had a few issues but after trying unsucessfully to fix it once, Toyota gave up and told me I'd have to live with it.

Well they can kiss my Red, White, and Blue behind!!!

The 2011 JGC is an all new vehicle and that is always a risk.  However, Chrysler has never been in the position it is currently in.  They literally have the future of their company riding on the success of this vehicle to a very large part.  It is their attempt to prove to the world and their creditors, that they can make a great vehicle.  Since it is the first all new vehicle since their bankruptcy, all eyes will be watching to see how it performs.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#29]
The new GC is really nice, especially in Overland trim....interior is awesome.
Would definitely wait to get the Saddle interior though which should be available to order soon.
I had an 07 SRT-8 and it was fine reliability wise, the new model should be only better considering Chrysler has allot riding on it. As said its basically an ML.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah the problem with the Limited 4 Runner up here is that you can only get it with 3rd seats, its not an option. With the 3rd row installed theres no cargo space. I hate 3rd vehicles...Thats why I was interested in the Cherokee.  The trail 4 runner is nice, I dunno, Ill think about this some more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Steer clear of the GC, and go with a Ford!

2011 Explorer
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's only had a few issues but after trying unsucessfully to fix it once, Toyota gave up and told me I'd have to live with it.

The 2011 JGC is an all new vehicle and that is always a risk.  However, Chrysler has never been in the position it is currently in.  They literally have the future of their company riding on the success of this vehicle to a very large part. It is their attempt to prove to the world and their creditors, that they can make a great vehicle.  Since it is the first all new vehicle since their bankruptcy, all eyes will be watching to see how it performs.

Execpt for the k-car and the LHS
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

http://2011-ford-explorer.com/images/2011-ford-explorer-1.jpg

2011 Explorer

That's not an SUV, it's a minivan with AWD

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The 2011 JGC is an all new vehicle and that is always a risk.  However, Chrysler has never been in the position it is currently in.  They literally have the future of their company riding on the success of this vehicle to a very large part.  It is their attempt to prove to the world and their creditors, that they can make a great vehicle.  Since it is the first all new vehicle since their bankruptcy, all eyes will be watching to see how it performs.

YMMV and all that but I have a 2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4X4 V8 too and its been an awesome car.  No matter how great a car maker is, there will always be a few cars that are duds/lemons.  Maybe you got one of those.  What problems exactly are you having on it that Toyota won't fix?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Disregard a lot of the things you hear about the older Jeeps. Anything build during the Daimler years is suspect. Daimler pretty much stole the company for the cash reserves it had and went cheap on everything. The junk that Daimler said was OK is sickening. They would do anything to save a buck and suppliers sent exactly what Daimler wanted. Cheap crap. Many of the policies Daimler introduced are gone. Quality is going up. I can't say for sure the new GC is going to be perfect, but Chrysler is banking on it and they're paying good money to make sure it's right. Those Pentastar engines are getting tested 100% and run on a dyno at Rouch to mak sure they're good to go. The engines are made in brand new climate controlled factories on brand new CNC machines. Lots of neat features too. I've tore one down and they're a pretty trick engine. If I was in the market I would probably buy one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Bought new in '04. 110,000 miles on it.  I think I've replaced the brake pads. I know I've put plugs in it.

I've changed the oil every 5000 miles with Castrol Syntec.

I've had to replace the rear end lube because the limited slip wasn't slipping. I should have just bought the Chrysler additive. That's what fixed it in the end.

I've towed my 4500 pound boat to the ramp and back in the heat of NC summer, around all the tourists.

Drove in the loose sand of Onslow Beach (towed a few guys out with it, too).

Maybe I just got lucky.

The probelms I have had with my 04 GC Larado were all interiror stuff.  The engine and drive train has been very dependable, if just don't trust Jeep's "Fiddly Bits" as a certain UK Carshow host likes to call them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:12:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a '92 Jeep Cherokee, inline-6 4.0L.  My wife has a '95 Grand Cherokee, same engine.

As far as I'm concerned, Jeeps begin and end between 1990 and 1999.  The Liberty is not a Jeep, never will be, and all "Jeeps" after it appeared are suspect and tainted.

I don't know what that thing in the pictures is, but it ain't a Jeep.  Looks kind of like a Pontiac SUV and a Nissan got drunk and did stupid things.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Daimler  pretty much stole the company for the cash reserves it had and went cheap on everything. The junk that Daimler said was OK is sickening. They would do anything to save a buck and suppliers sent exactly what Daimler wanted. Cheap crap. Many of the policies Daimler introduced are gone. Quality is going up.

This part is 100% true, but few people outside the auto industry know it. Daimler did nothing for Chrysler except rob them blind and screw them over for years.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My 2005 Grand Cherokee just hit the shop for a $1569 transmission rebuild. it's a 1st gen Mercedes trans (also used in the Maybachs ). Output shaft stripped out due to out of round hole.

Other than that, it's a GREAT vehicle.  My only gripes are:

limited leg room in back seat and poor rear view visibilty.

I'd buy another one, no prob.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have a '92 Jeep Cherokee, inline-6 4.0L.  My wife has a '95 Grand Cherokee, same engine.

As far as I'm concerned, Jeeps begin and end between 1990 and 1999.  The Liberty is not a Jeep, never will be, and all "Jeeps" after it appeared are suspect and tainted.

And you know what they say about opinions.....
I can take you to 3 guys, a Rover, a Cherokee and a Toyota who will all tell you what a Liberty can do off road.

Dont forget-its strap-a-phobic

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

2011 Explorer

Which makes it kick major ass... for the 99% of driving that most will do with it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I just bought a 2010 Wrangler and have about 1500 miles on it. I am

pleased with it. I know they are two different vehicles but i thought

I would through that in.

I also have a 2005 Liberty that I just gave to my son

and it seems to be a good vehicle.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#43]
It looks pretty sweet, but the 18" rims and relatively small wheel wells will suck when getting decent tires. Gotta wait until aftermarket modders get to it before anybody makes any calls.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I don't know what that thing in the pictures is, but it ain't a Jeep.  Looks kind of like a Pontiac SUV and a Nissan got drunk and did stupid things.

Funny my Commander disagrees.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'm not so sure it's formidable rock crawling prowess is necessary for it's segment.

Yeah probably not, but that will not stop anybody from doing it.

Hell I know a guy that rock crawls a bit in a 08 Hemi Commander.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

2011 Explorer

Yea.  No longer body-on-frame,  just a car with SUV styling.  However, so are all of its competitors.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

-What kind of music do you play here?
-Oh we've got both kinds, Country and Western!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#48]

I am jeep obcessed...

(2) Cj 5's
jeep cherokee
Jeep Grand cherokee
Jeep liberty
in my lifetime..
They arent perfect but I dont like the comparisons
We have a nice Ford Explorer at work but it is more like a 4 wheel drive mini van..
Jeeps are beefier in my opinion..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#49]
My 07 grand with the diesel engine has been fine and is at 42k miles.

Just put a new set of tires on it, it came with fortera goodyear tires on it and I bought the exact same thing for it again.

I wish tires would last longer than 40k miles but I did not feel like shelling out for michelin tires this time around.

I will need a new battery soon.  I have some corrosion around one of the posts and I plan to clean it up and keep an eye on it but I will probably replace the battery before december simply because I like a good battery in a diesel vehicle when cold weather comes around.

Thing could use some stiffer springs but I will do that on my own soon.  It is sort of ready for shocks and whatever is up front, probably struts but I have not looked at them for a while and I forget what it has up there.

I tow my quad and similar sized stuff around a lot and it does it well.

If they can get mileage up where someone mentioned it with the hemi then they will be getting mileage up to where my diesel grand has it.  I average 23 to 24mpg playing on backroads and doing some highway driving.  Now and then I can push a tank of fuel awfully close to a 30mpg average but that generally takes 55mph backroads with no major hills and traffic to do that.

I would only want one of these with a larger engine in it.  My diesel has about the same torque as the hemi had in 07 and it moves out quickly when needed but if loaded full and towing I wish it had more power.

I drive mine everyday in all kinds of weather and the only offroading it does is me messing around in very minor stuff compared to what some folks have done with it.

Brakes were at 50% or so when I got my new tires.  Rotors all looked fine.  I looked at the stuff personally.

I never had the sensitive power windows looked at, there is a memo or something on that I think for the dealers to fix them.  They generally work fine now and I try to keep the car away from the dealer as much as possable.

For most folks I doubt the loss of the front limited slip will matter that much but I only bought my grand because of the diesel.

And no I would not go buy a mercedes suv to get another diesel.

I rather like the jeep but would go back to a truck from this most likely.  And by truck I mean 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top