Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 2:48:12 PM EDT
I am here visiting for the week for some cisco training and am looking for a good bbq joint around the domain area.

I posted in tx htf as well
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Salt Lick is supposed to be the best in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Salt Lick is supposed to be the best in Texas.

I dunno if I would say it is the 'best' but it certainly wins on atmosphere, history, ambiance.   I would recommend an early lunch or a late dinner so the heat of the day can pass through.  Last time I was there it was covered seating, but not climate controlled.

TRG

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
In the Domain area I'd strongly suggest Pok-e-Joes, and not suggest Rudy's.
http://www.pokejos.com/
Parmer or Great Hills are close.
DanM
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Salt lick.....good atmoshphere. great food, nice scenery
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Hook up with my wife, she is in Austin this week. She likes Stubb's and the Salt Lick.

Finish the night off, at the Iron Cactus with some tequila flights and hit Bobalu Cigar's...get the feurte line

ETA: Wait, wut?

IIRC, Salt Lick is BYOB?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a whole lot of options around the Domain area.   Salt Lick up in Round Rock is not far.  It's OK, but not the best in Texas.

(Go to IH35 north, exit east onto 79 and go about 5 miles.  It's right in front of the Dell Diamond)

If you had the time, if you want REAL GOOD BBQ, you should jump in the car and go out to Cooper's in Llano.  It's about 70 miles west of Austin.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Poke-E-Joes east of Parmer and Mopac. Probably the closest place to you. Or take Duval to 183 and go to Rudy's. Thats for the closest places.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I'm in that area but I'm not running the smoker this week.  Sorry.

Come back next week for some delicious pecan-smoked brisket.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I am sitting in Pennsylvania.  Any place you go into in Austin will be better than what I have here

Remember those of us trapped above the Mason-Dixon Line while you have some brisket
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
If you really want some world class bbq, take the hour or so trip to Lockhart, TX. Then, hit up Kreuz, Black's, or Smitty's. If you are a barbecue fan, it's easily worth the drive.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#11]
No such thing.  Texans don't know anything about BBQ.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hook up with my wife, she is in Austin this week. She likes Stubb's and the Salt Lick.

Finish the night off, at the Iron Cactus with some tequila flights and hit Bobalu Cigar's...get the feurte line

IIRC, Salt Lick is BYOB?

Pics of your wife please.  If she is hot, I might travel to Austin to check her out.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have the time........Southside Market in Elgin
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, Salt Lick is BYOB?

Pics of your wife please.  If she is hot, I might travel to Austin to check her out.  

Roger, check your IM's.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry dude, you're gonna have to go to Memphis for that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
While I've never had BBQ in Austin, Bobby Flay seems to think the Salt Lick is the shit.  That's gotta be worth something.  Stubb's is famous as hell, though prob mainly for the musical history, and C.B. Stubblefield is long dead, though his mass marketed BBQ sauce lives on and it's quite good.

Too bad you're not in Fort Worth.  Angelo's ribs and brisket or North Main BBQ's brisket (in Euless) would make Chuck Norris cry tears of joy.  When you taste it, you'll shit bricks.

Wish I could be of more help regarding Austin, but I try to avoid communists.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sorry dude, you're gonna have to go to Memphis for that.

Will be there in 2 weeks
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

IIRC, Salt Lick is BYOB?

Pics of wife first
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the fast info. Went to pokys as it was close and would eat there again had the sausage and sliced beef.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
North Main BBQ's brisket (in Euless) would make Chuck Norris cry tears of joy.  

I was in love with them, but I think their quality has gone downhill in the past 4 or 5 years. It used to be the DFW place I would take out of towners to for a taste of real bbq. I think it is still pretty good, but not award winning like it used to be.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for the fast info. Went to pokys as it was close and would eat there again had the sausage and sliced beef.

Next time, give Cooper's in Llano a try - It's usually worth the drive.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#22]
been here 18 years Stubbs by far!!!  Like Salt Lick, Love Stubbs!

Quoted:

I am here visiting for the week for some cisco training and am looking for a good bbq joint around the domain area.

I posted in tx htf as well

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't care what any of you hard-ons say, I like Rudy's.  I usually order 1/2 pound of St. Louis ribs and 1/2 a hottie (aka, jalapeno sausage).  

Personally, I like Rudy's sauce over Salt Lick's (they're just different) but do like SL's Habenero sauce.  If you have the time, I'd suggest both.

If I remember correctly, Smokey Mo's and/or was it Pok-e's was started by a disgruntled ex-rudy's employee.  Neither of which is very good.

FYI, Salt Lick in RR is not BYOB, only the one down south is because it's in a dry county.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for Salt Lick and Cooper's
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Drive to Lockhart, should take about 30 min from anywhere in Austin.

Go to Blacks, and enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you really want some world class bbq, take the hour or so trip to Lockhart, TX. Then, hit up Kreuz, Black's, or Smitty's. If you are a barbecue fan, it's easily worth the drive.

This is a great answer.  The Salt Lick is also a good answer. Poke-E-Joe's and Rudy's are OK, but they are the fast food version of Texas BBQ.  Bill Miller BBQ sucks out loud.  Stubb's is OK, but it has turned into a music venue that happens to serve passable BBQ.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This +1000000000000
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#29]
If not Salt Lick (the original), then Opie's.  Cooper's is great too, but too far.

Lockhart BBQ is good, but not as good as anything I mentioned above.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Cooper's is good !!

My brother in law, who lives in Austin, likes Salt Lick as well as the BBQ joints over in Lockhart, TX.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Anything in lockhart is better then austin.    BUT  if your up for a few hour drive come down to corpus and ill get a brisket goin.    can meet up with txrdnec  and do some plinkin as well.        if not dont be affraid to stop at  the bbq trailers  either.   there are a few big ones in the leander area  that are preety dam good.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Are we done with the Austin recommendations yet?  How about San Antonio, going to be there next week :)
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#33]
OP for one meal go to Freebirds and get "the Monster" burrito.  

Spinach tortilla, choose your fillings.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

yes  do that.   and let us know how much you actually ate lol.    one just opened in corpus  and  it still  way overcrowded
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Definitely don't bother with Rudy's, it's, as mentioned, a chain and nothing special.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Salt Lick is probably the most famous - but honestly it is because it is BYOB and once upon a time had a reputation for 2 hr waits for a table.  You were so drunk by the time you ate you really did not care.

Sams is one of my favorites (think that is it - I go to a location not a name).  House Field is another fun run - come early - they don't believe in left overs and close when they are out (usually around noon).  County Line has the best view.  I dislike Elgin and prefer Lockart (because of sausage style), but the mutton is good in Elgin (and Sams) - that said prefer City Market in Luling (or City Market in Gonzales - which is what I just finished eating for lunch - but damn there prices went up...)
––-
Ruby's is not Rudy's.  Ruby's is good and not a chain.  If I was going for strait BBQ (not mutton), they would be hard to beat by any margin in Austin.  Favorite place for sides.

Oh, fwiw - Green Mesquite was on DDD on food network as well.
––-
Iron Works is supposed to be pretty good, but it is down town Q like Stubbs is.

––––
I only lived in San Marcos 3 years - don't know of any Q there.  Wife lived there 6-8, but think they would just go to Lockhart.  I always ate Mexican in San Marcos - but if you are on the way to SA, that is kind of anti climatic.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

IIRC, Salt Lick is BYOB?

I have to say the Fuertes are great, but I prefer the Double Maduros.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If not Salt Lick (the original), then Opie's.  Cooper's is great too, but too far.

Lockhart BBQ is good, but not as good as anything I mentioned above.

Opie's is a ways out there too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cayenne
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, Salt Lick is BYOB?

I have to say the Fuertes are great, but I prefer the Double Maduros.

My wife will call me tonight when she is there and she'll get infront of the cam..lol.

I am going to have her snag me a figurado sampler and some of the Fuertes.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I have always been partial to Rudy's
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hook up with my wife she is in Austin this week. She likes Stubb's and the Salt Lick.

IIRC, Salt Lick is BYOB?

Take my wife.......please!!

So, do you charge for this service by the night or by the hour?? WTF man?? LoL

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Salt Lick was BYOB, but then again it used to be $13 all you could eat too.  I have not been in 15 years - (not after looking at their current prices), no bets on if they are still BYOB.  Oh and I don't know anything about the newer locations.

My GF at the time (of my last trip there) was vegetarian.  She gave it up at Salt Lick.  Figured if you were going to loose your vegetarian virginity - it was the right place.

My wife recommended Woodies BBQ in San Marcos - but that was in her other marriage days.
––-
Honestly, most of the BBQ I get in Austin is from Berts - they are close.  My father competed in the circuit for a while, and I was very BBQ'd out  with his practice briskets  (their team won the Go Texan in Houston one year).  Now it is just painful to pay for BBQ that I think I can do just as good or better myself.
––-
just googled Salt Lick in Driftwood.  Still BYOB and still CASH ONLY.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Are we done with the Austin recommendations yet?  How about San Antonio, going to be there next week :)

County Line Barbecue never disappoints - Very tasty brisket, excellent sausage, and some top-notch side dishes. Service is always excellent, too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#45]
+1 for County Line......   When I lived in Austin it was my absolute favorite.  Awesome food !

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I have lived here all my life and have eaten at all mentioned in austin area and my vote is Coopers in Llano for the best BBQ.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What Cisco class are you taking?

It's there telepresence boot camp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top