Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2010 6:25:44 AM EDT
Which items would be of the biggest value to have set aside ahead of time.  Its not a breakdown of society and government services.  Just every thing cost 20 or 100x what it did before.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Food
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Food

Guns and ammo takes food.

eta: I don't mean stealing, I mean hunting.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Food

And as soon as food becomes very expensive and hard to get the next item in great demand will be ammo
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Food
Tobacco
Alcohol
Guns/Ammo
Fuel
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Pints of Jack Daniels and packs of Marlboro Ciggy's would be like gold.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Hard liquor would be your best investment.

Extremely fungible.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Toilet paper, Tissues, Band-Aids, Neosporin, Aspirin, Fanta Orange soda,,,,
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Axes/ Saws to cut wood.
Large pots to boil water.

Shoulder Pads
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]
parts for everything.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Diet Coke

Nyquil

Chapstick

Puffs Plus
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Which items would be of the biggest value to have set aside ahead of time.  Its not a breakdown of society and government services.  Just every thing cost 20 or 100x what it did before.

The basics would suck up all of a person's budget, so forget most of the consumer "I want" crap and focus on the "I need" stuff.

What do you have to buy on a daily/weekly/monthly basis?  
*food
*clean water
*sturdy work clothes, shoes
*transportation
*shelter
*heat and fuel for heat (shelter and cooking)
*blankets and warm clothing

Which of these items are impractical to make yourself?  
*Well, none of them are totally impossible, but few people will be able or willing to supply themselves with all that.  Fuel is a tough one, unless you can easily harvest wood, and that has limitations.  Look at third world nations: motor scooters, bicycles, and shoe leather would make a tremendous comeback in the US.  Our cities are poorly designed for low tech transport, though, there would be a huge restructuring necessary to move people closer to work and basic services, or to move work and services to them.  Gardening would be the new #1 hobby, so basic, non-luxury gardening supplies would be popular.

What luxury items will remain in some demand?
*alcohol
*tobacco
*chocolate
*ice
*low cost entertainment
*concealable weapons, home defense weapons
*off grid power

Will there be a demand for jewelry, electronics, tools, etc.?
*Sure, but we have a tremendous surplus of most of that right now.  Every woman has a box full of shiny things.  In theory, at least, six families can share one lawnmower or a toolbox.  Neighbors shared the same TV all the time in the 50's, whole villages share one TV now in third world nations.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Diet Coke

Nyquil

Chapstick

Puffs Plus

I see what you did here

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Booze

Tobacco

No matter how bad things get, people want to drink and smoke.

Hax

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The basics would suck up all of a person's budget, so forget most of the consumer "I want" crap and focus on the "I need" stuff.

What do you have to buy on a daily/weekly/monthly basis?  
*food
*clean water
*sturdy work clothes, shoes
*transportation
*shelter
*heat and fuel for heat (shelter and cooking)
*blankets and warm clothing

Which of these items are impractical to make yourself?  
*Well, none of them are totally impossible, but few people will be able or willing to supply themselves with all that.  Fuel is a tough one, unless you can easily harvest wood, and that has limitations.  Look at third world nations: motor scooters, bicycles, and shoe leather would make a tremendous comeback in the US.  Our cities are poorly designed for low tech transport, though, there would be a huge restructuring necessary to move people closer to work and basic services, or to move work and services to them.  Gardening would be the new #1 hobby, so basic, non-luxury gardening supplies would be popular.

What luxury items will remain in some demand?
*alcohol
*tobacco
*chocolate
*ice
*low cost entertainment
*concealable weapons, home defense weapons
*off grid power

Will there be a demand for jewelry, electronics, tools, etc.?
*Sure, but we have a tremendous surplus of most of that right now.  Every woman has a box full of shiny things.  In theory, at least, six families can share one lawnmower or a toolbox.  Neighbors shared the same TV all the time in the 50's, whole villages share one TV now in third world nations.

Great post.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Diet Coke

Nyquil

Chapstick

Puffs Plus

I see what you did here

Not sure what you mean.   Those few items are some of the finest (cheap) luxuries in the modern world.

And yes the Puffs Plus can have a 2nd personal clean up function if necessary.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Vice items for barter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Im not underestimating the value of toilet paper...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Booze

Tobacco

No matter how bad things get, More people want to drink and smoke.

Hax

fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#20]
food.

the MOST basic need for life is nurishment. security comes second.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Toillet paper!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Toillet paper!

Shit in the creek.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Food
Fuel
Ammo
Alcohol and Smokes
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Toillet paper!

Shit in the creek.

1. Toilet paper doesn't allow you to shit, it allows you to not smell like shit.  (I'd explain it's real function but that'd take too many words)
2. Arizona is decidedly lacking in creeks.

Nice try Cooter.  Your sister is getting lonely.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

food.

Maslow was a genius.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
food.

Well, remember the rule of two- you die after two minutes without air, two hours without shelter (in extreme weather, indefinitely in rare perfect weather), two days without water (in extreme heat, up to ten days in mild weather), two weeks without food.  Yes, there are exceptions.   Unknowns are the time before dying from lack of security, and lack of medical care, you have to guess what those are/will be and balance them against the other factors when equipping.  A pallet of 5.56 won't help much if you die of dysentery or freeze to death.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Im not underestimating the value of toilet paper...

This!    #1 most overlooked item for SHTF.......and the pants if we don't have it.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Toillet paper!

Shit in the creek.

1. Toilet paper doesn't allow you to shit, it allows you to not smell like shit.  (I'd explain it's real function but that'd take too many words)
2. Arizona is decidedly lacking in creeks.

Nice try Cooter.  Your sister is getting lonely.

Not to mention infecting the water supply.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Food
Water (+ filter/purifying supplies)
Medical Supplies
Guns (Think concealable handguns, not so much large rifles)
Ammo

If you only stocked up on guns and ammo and expect to only hunt for food, you are a fool. Millions have this exact same plan. Game species would be extinct in very little time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#30]
TP can be replaced by old newspaper, leaves etc... Just going to have a sore arse for a while.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Tampons.  The wimminz will not go without.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
TP can be replaced by old newspaper, leaves etc... Just going to have a sore arse for a while.

When my dad was growing up in Hungary, they used Hungarian-language issues of Pravda.

Like Lumpy said, toilet paper is extremely important, especially if you have a woman/women in the household.  I always keep a ton of it on hand.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Food
Tobacco
Alcohol
Guns/Ammo
Fuel

Yup. That would be a good start. PM's aren't bad either, they will always have a value, but that would only help you if you are at a place that others aren't trying to steal everything you have to just take. Can't really trade with someone bent on taking.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#34]
lots of toilet paper, i ain't usin' no leaves.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#36]
lots of toilet paper, i ain't usin' no leaves.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Booze? Stills would crop up everywhere and there'd be no shortage of moonshine available.

Cigs? Could grow your own tobacky.

Ammo? Could make your own with the right setup, or stockpile now.

Food? Gardens would provide and raising chickens/goats etc

Guns? Probably couldn't make those from scratch without serious equipment, and skill.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well anything really. If everything goes up the same percent, then it doesn't matter.

––––––-

Right of I would say tobacco and booze, but only if you can produce them cheaper.

For that matter drugs would be a good business to explore too, but almost no drugs originate inside the USA already––just weed.
~
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Booze

Tobacco

No matter how bad things get, More people want to drink and smoke.

Hax

fixed it for ya.

Was told just that from a Depression Era bootlegger.
Said in good or bad times, people will ALWAYS smoke and drink.
That was 1980 and those words still hold true today.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#40]
A still.  And the knowledge of how to run it There are good PDF's on the interwebs about home distillation).

How does Coffee and Sugar hold up in storage?    Can they be stored for 20 years with no problem?   If so, then a couple thousand pounds of each.

Arable land, fruit trees, etc.  

Gold and silver. (purchased at 2001 levels)   I can't help but think it's in a bubble right now.  If it's not, then we are truly screwed even worse than we think.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Sugar is good forever, as long as it doesn't get wet and you keep critters out.  I don't know about coffee, probably quite a while if you're talking whole bean and oxygen purged.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#42]
bicycle tubes
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I guess that would depend on where you live.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#44]
1. Food.
2. Fuel for heating and transportation.
3. Everything else.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#45]
fuel and food
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#47]
I am thinking liquor is a good investment.

Why?

Consider the alternatives:
1)   Food? Its going to be one of the biggest concerns on people's mind...why let them know I have "more than I need" by trading it?

2)  Water?  Water purification kits actually might be a good thing to barter.  But, they aren't very exciting to buy, or extremely useful if S doesn't HTF.  For minor SHTF or camping, you'll be good with a few of them, you won't need 20.

3)  Guns & ammo?  No, I don't think its a good idea to be arming people who I don't know very well who may try to attack me later.

Plus, the liquor will come in handy for non-SHTF parties.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Food

Guns and ammo takes food.

eta: I don't mean stealing, I mean hunting.

Hunting dries up real fast when everyone is hungry.  Talk to anyone that lived in Appalachia in the 1930s.  Deer were nearly impossible to find.  They ate a lot of squirrel and were not opposed to eating opossum, raccoon and similar.

There won't be many fish in the creeks, either.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#49]
shit tickets
sugar
salt
coffee
booze
ammo
tobacco
canning jar lids
vegetable oil
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#50]
chocolate

Cannot have enough evar!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top