Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 11:36:16 AM EDT
My french door in the back has taken all the weather it can, so I'm replacing it. The fellow who's handling building the new one suggested that I replace the dead bolt with one that's keyed on both sides, so a bad guy can't just break the glass, reach in and unlock it.

Fine, good idea. But all the locks I've seen assemble with a couple of Phillips head screws on the interior faceplate and it seems to me the savvy bad guy may well have a screw driver and sufficient dexterity to take it apart through a broken window pane and get in anyway.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing will stop a determined burglar.

having said that, though, it takes quite a bit of dexterity and time to unscrew those damned little phillips screws.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#2]
a monitored alarm is your best bet
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have that. I was just trying to see if there's an alternative to assembling the lock with phillips head screws.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
If he has already broken the glass, I doubt he would let little strips of wood deter him as soon as he finds out it's double keyed. How the deadbolt is installed will make no difference to him.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You could replace the screws with ones of the same size and thread pattern but an unusual drive, like security torx (torx with a pin that stands up in the middle) or tri-wing. Most people aren't going to carry around a set of unusual drivers with them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]
While it's true you could probably kick your way through a french door, that's going to produce much more commotion than breaking out a pane.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You could replace the screws with ones of the same size and thread pattern but an unusual drive, like security torx (torx with a pin that stands up in the middle) or tri-wing. Most people aren't going to carry around a set of unusual drivers with them.

That's probably the best route.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's probably the best route.

I agree.

Or, if you wanna live dangerously, just use LOKTITE on the screws.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#9]
building codes here disallow double keyed locks anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#10]
i have french doors on the back of my house and i ptu a lock at the top of the doorframe.  not a deadbolt but the type you slide the bar into.  you cant see it from outside and unless the dude breaks out the entire window frame and each section of glass to stick his head indide he wont be able to figure out why the door wont open.  If he goes through with breaking out the entire door though there isn't much point in a lock is there?

by the top of the door i don't mean between the two doors either. I mean where the top of the frame meets the top of the door.  criminal might feel around between the doors but i doubt most will want to keep breaking glass all the way until above the center of the door in hopes of finding a lock.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Build a room onto the back of your house with a nice sturdy door.  That's what happened in our house... the french doors now lead to the back room!  

Seriously, the key lock kind is the way to go.  The bad guy would have a real tough time unscrewing it, and would get all cut up in the process.  But the point has been made: if he's determined, he'll eventually get in.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i have french doors on the back of my house and i ptu a lock at the top of the doorframe.  not a deadbolt but the type you slide the bar into.  you cant see it from outside and unless the dude breaks out the entire window frame and each section of glass to stick his head indide he wont be able to figure out why the door wont open.  If he goes through with breaking out the entire door though there isn't much point in a lock is there?

by the top of the door i don't mean between the two doors either. I mean where the top of the frame meets the top of the door.  criminal might feel around between the doors but i doubt most will want to keep breaking glass all the way until above the center of the door in hopes of finding a lock.

This.

French doors are notoriously hard to secure.
Your best bet is to bolt each door, both top and bottom, into the head of the frame and the floor where they meet in the center.
That in addition to a standard entry lockset between them.
Good luck if it's your main entry, you'll need at least three keyed bolts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
replace the dead bolt with one that's keyed on both sides,

That is a red flag for my state due to egress during a fire.  your local laws may vary
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]
If the replacement door has tempered glass, which it most likely does, then an ice pick or center punch is all that's needed to gain entry to your house. The lock won't keep a burglar out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have that. I was just trying to see if there's an alternative to assembling the lock with phillips head screws.

Use torx or hex screws if it makes you feel better. Make sure your alarm system has glass break sensors... the magnets on the windows are lovely and all, but get glass break sensors, they work for a certain # of feet so you only need a few.

Don't drop a glass in the middle of the night
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is a red flag for my state due to egress during a fire.  your local laws may vary

Fuck local laws are they coming by to inspect your locks?

Hang a key on a small hook a few feet away from the door. I have double key lock's on all my rear doors, with keys a few feet away, out of reach.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I placed brass I-bolts on each side of door...ran a steel cable through them, used nice looking brass combo locks to secure on both ends.....they can kick it in, but it aint opening..used 6 mil security film for the glass......and bought a German Sheppard puppy....inside house dog...

" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck local laws are they coming by to inspect your locks?

Hang a key on a small hook a few feet away from the door. I have double key lock's on all my rear doors, with keys a few feet away, out of reach.

Yes, when the house is sold, the fire inspector checks everything.

Having a key near by is still illegal.  You need to either glue the key into the lock or change the set.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I installed a Kwikset lockset with deadbolt for a customer the other day.  The deadbolt was keyed on both sides, and came with two sets of screws....one set of Phillips, and one set of screws that you can screw in, but that do not screw back out.  It is a one way trip.  It was one of those fancy handle type front door sets called the "Gibson"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top