Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/11/2010 6:55:40 PM EDT
Is there something wrong with doing this? I've asked many (out of curiosity) and never gotten lip from a cop before. All of them have been pleasant and seemed to be gun guys.

I asked an officer this morning what his dept carried. He stopped dead in his tracks, looked at me like I had 10 heads and said  "what are you a cop or something?" in a pretty asshole tone. After I told him no then he said "What are you? Just a gun nut or something?" Again in an asshole tone. Then he quickly said HK and walked away.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Then he quickly said HK and walked away.

And there you have it. Snob Cop.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Eh, I would be careful how you approach that.  It would all depend on context & situation.

Just walking up to a cop you don't know and blurting that out might rub them the wrong way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Cops seem to attract a laundry list of retards. They can't stand in one place for more than 5 minutes before some mouth breather comes up and asks something stupid. They get tired of it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Is there something wrong with doing this? I've asked many (out of curiosity) and never gotten lip from a cop before. All of them have been pleasant and seemed to be gun guys.

I asked an officer this morning what his dept carried. He stopped dead in his tracks, looked at me like I had 10 heads and said "what are you a cop or something?" in a pretty asshole tone. After I told him no then he said "What are you? Just a gun nut or something?" Again in an asshole tone. Then he quickly said HK and walked away.

Seems like you answered your question.  You've "asked many and never gotten lip" except for this one asshole.  So how would it be wrong?  Or are you just trying to start shit?  I'm going to go with "start shit".
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Eh, I would be careful how you approach that.  It would all depend on context & situation.

Just walking up to a cop you don't know and blurting that out might rub them the wrong way.
Exactly my thoughts.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
You go out of your way to talk to cops? And not only that, but ask what could easily be considered a odd question?  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't your parents tell you not to talk to cops??
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Who gives a fuck?  I'd care more about what the average ARFCOMMER carried unless I was trying to make a department wide decision based on budget, not concealability, and not a bunch of other criteria I care about.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Cops are just like everyone else and some of them just aren't "people people".

They have limited social skills and simply cant interact with society except to do what their job entails.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Never invite the man into your life.

/thread
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done it to the Park Rangers at the lake before....they carried .40 Glocks....G22 IIRC.  He said they switched to them from the .45 but he liked the .45's better as he shot better with it.

He just asked me if I was a LEO....at the time, I was still in the .mil so I said that.  He was just like, "ah, that's cool..."
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I asked an officer this morning what his dept carried. He stopped dead in his tracks, looked at me like I had 10 heads and said  "what are you a cop or something?" in a pretty asshole tone. After I told him no then he said "What are you? Just a gun nut or something?" Again in an asshole tone. Then he quickly said HK and walked away.

was he trying to eat lunch, or have a car pulled over when you asked him?  
and yes it does happen, I hate trying to conduct a traffic stop and someone come up and start asking me questions about something unrelated.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've done it to the Park Rangers at the lake before....they carried .40 Glocks....G22 IIRC.  He said they switched to them from the .45 but he liked the .45's better as he shot better with it.

He just asked me if I was a LEO....at the time, I was still in the .mil so I said that.  He was just like, "ah, that's cool..."

I read that quick and thought it said "on the take" not "at the lake".  I was like WTF?!  What the fucking fuck?!?!  And then I reread.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

/thread

you can't /thread your own post....

That said, I'll /thread it for you, since you are correct....

/thread

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#15]
If I can do so without being noticed (like in line at a convenience store) I might look to see if I can ID the gun they're carrying, but I NEVER ask a cop a question I don't *need* to ask. I have no desire whatsoever to engage anyone in a conversation about guns when I'm carrying one myself.

I've even met people at work (my work happens all over the place, literally) who tried to start CCW conversations. I never acknowledge that I'm carrying. There's no point in it whatsoever. I'll discuss it with my wife, my father, and that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

/thread

/thread

Beat me to it.  That's like trying to give yourself a nickname.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Next time just point at him and start screaming "He's got a gun!".
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess that the officer wouldn't have answered the follow-up question on whether or not chili should have beans, either.......
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cops seem to attract a laundry list of retards. They can't stand in one place for more than 5 minutes before some mouth breather comes up and asks something stupid. They get tired of it.

That about sums it up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#20]
"Your on Candid Camera!"
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I was at a gas station in Louisianna and the JBT was nearby.  I asked him "Hey... what'cha got there?"  

He perked right up, and wanted to tell me all about it.  Then he pulled a mag and showed me the rounds they were carrying for it.  Remington Golden Sabers IIRC.

Another time I was arguing with this douchebag cop about the Glock, and didn't believe him that they had a retangular firing pin.  He drew his pistol, dropped the mag.  He stripped the slide off and handed it to me  "What now Mr. knowit all!"
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#22]
HK Carrier >You

Its the way it is.  Deal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I was doing jury duty and was on a long trial, we had the same bailiff and we talked guns a lot during the break times.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#24]
In the Northeast you would be astonished at how many LEOs don't even know what they are carrying.

"I dunno. Whatever the force gave me."
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#25]
It's gauche.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The only place I am aware of that local cops can hang without attracting those type of people is the local fun shop.

I'll talk to them about guns there, but in a fun shop it just seems... relevant.

I learned not to get them started about people asking them stupid questions.

99% of the cops that I have had conversations with both on/off duty at the shop, the range, and while I'm on duty are cool folks.

I REALLY like the County Sheriff's that work detention at the Hospital.  They make the night fun when we have to transport someone, and end up with them in detention until they can be admitted into the secure unit.

Stand up guys, but like Drill Instructors... everything they say is funny.

But knowing that cops probably don't want to talk to me anymore than I want to talk to them out on the street, the most I'll say is "Excuse me...", unless I know them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that quick and thought it said "on the take" not "at the lake".  I was like WTF?!  What the fucking fuck?!?!  And then I reread.

Well, actually, they stopped us while on the lake and were making sure we had all of our safety equipment on the boat......so it would have been on the lake.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#28]
WHat really makes them start to squirm is when you mention their retention holster and tell them how to get the gun out of it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Most cops aren't gun guys, its just a tool used as part of their job, so yes it will be an odd question to them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
WHat really makes them start to squirm is when you mention their retention holster and tell them how to get the gun out of it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#31]

What is the point of the question, seems inane? Trying to go around making cop buddies?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#32]
1. Starting a conversation with someone who is on high alert all the time  (uniformed officer) is a delicate task.

Bringing up weapons in the first sentence is not delicate.

2. Being an ass because someone asks you a stupid question about your gun is not good community relations for the LEO.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

was he trying to eat lunch, or have a car pulled over when you asked him?  
and yes it does happen, I hate trying to conduct a traffic stop and someone come up and start asking me questions about something unrelated.

i would very rudely tell them to kick rocks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What is the point of the question, seems inane? Trying to go around making cop buddies?

Some people see a public servant and think public property. They will have no reservation violating a cops personal space or time asking superfluous questions. Some of them are just half witts looking for attention and validation from authority figures, the way a child would. Others though, are people who would never approach a stranger and start a casual conversation or ask a personal question. Yet, the uniform seems to be a magnet. Moths to a flame

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

/thread

/thread

Beat me to it.  That's like trying to give yourself a nickname.

Yeah, serious fox pass.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This.

Especially if you're working an event.  I used to work a music festival.  I couldn't go 30 seconds without some drunk fuck stumbling up to me "Hey buddy, you having fun" slurring like hell and slobbering all over the place.  I wanted to reply "Lets see, I'm on my 3rd 14hr day, on my feet the whole time, in this polyester uniform, wearing a vest with 20 lbs of shit strapped around my waist, it's 100* and 95% humidity.  Yeah, I'm having a fucking blast" but I'd just smile and say "Yep, having a great time."

On a related note, I seen a guy sitting at an (outdoor) bar there slam a beer, turn around and vomit on the ground then grab another beer and slam it down.

Beer there was like $8 a can or some fucking thing like that.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#37]
dont talk to strangers
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with it.

He was just being an ass.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I always get to know them pretty well before talking about firearms with them.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Next time just point at him and start screaming "He's got a gun!".

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I interact with 2-3 cops per week on my job.

Scrapyards are second only to pawn shops when it comes to cops looking for stolen goods.  

I don't think I've ever asked "hey what do you carry"

Now I have had several ask me what I carry when they see the shotgun in the corner, random mags, ammo and other "gun shit" in my office
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This. Either that or you found an asshole, or a normal guy have a bad day.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#43]
When I was asked what I carry:

"What do I carry?  Oh, a 38 or 39 whatever it takes!"
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I see nothing wrong with it

Growing up in a small town of 3000 people, I knew all three cops in the Local PD.

I asked them what they carried when they came into the hardware store that I worked in. Hell the one guy actually bought his Glock 22 from my Grandpa's shop.

The female cop on the force, who is a big old girl, carried a Taurus PT99. Thank God she never had to use it

The Chief, IIRC carried a S&W 19, but I could be wrong
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Back in the mid 90s, I had a female FBI agent as a neighbor in my condo complex and one day I was walking my dog and she was out in the parking lot.  I could see she had on a Sig 226 type pistol and I asked if that was what it was.

Jeeze, you'd think I had asked her where the dirty pictures of J.Edgar Hoover were, or what color panties she normally wore on duty.  It was funny.

We have a lot of cops coming into the cigar shop I hang out at and I have no problem asking what they carry and what ammo.  Hell, just yesterday, I had a (Metro) Miami-Dade officer in and he was telling me about his new Bushmaster 50 BMG long barrel bolt action rifle.  He said that the first ammo he ever loaded was for his 50 BMG!

Chris

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Then he quickly said HK and walked away.

And there you have it. Snob Cop.

This.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

/thread

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I always get to know them pretty well before talking about firearms with them.

And this. I don't want to spook someone who has the right to stifle my freedoms.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I dont ever give a shit what any of them carry. Why would you ask? Cop fetish?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I asked a detective once. 40 short and weak

I don't bother to ask anymore, since it seems every time I asked theyre 40's. And they're either G22 or sigs
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top