Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 1:14:41 PM EDT
Should a pump shotgun forend begin to move as soon as you pull the trigger, or should there be a slight hitch to it? As this question pertains to dry firing and not real firing, it may be an irrelevent question. My 500 has a hitch as if to unlock something, but my Maverick will move with my hand on the pump immediately upon trigger pull?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the design of the shotgun. Winchesters unlock upon firing and they have advertised that as their "speed pump" features. Other brands/models funtion differently.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I think most pumps have a hitch. Something stays engaged after hammer fall until recoil, or the pump is jostled to remove a bump stop from out of engagement. I don't believe that you should be able to pull on the handle as hard as possible with an empty gun, pull the trigger and get movement backwards.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
My Mossberg comes out of battery if I shoot 3" shells.
I have an old High Standard that I can slam fire if I hold the trigger while pumping the action.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My Mossberg comes out of battery if I shoot 3" shells.
I have an old High Standard that I can slam fire if I hold the trigger while pumping the action.

Your HS does not have a disconnector and that is how it is supposed to function.  Older Ithacas and Winchesters did the same thing.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My win 1300 unlocks after the shot, my mossberg not so much but it don't take much to get it going.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Pumps SHOULDN'T have a hitch but most of them do. Makes it just a little bit harder to shuck em' quick
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top