Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:44:08 PM EDT
My parents have a flag that was from the coffin of a Veteran.  

Long story, but we bought the house next to us and the flag was in the attic.  All his family members are deceased.

What should we do with the flag.  

I know there are organizations that "retire" flags.  

Anyone know of one I can contact and send the flag to.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to your local VFW or American Legion hall. They will be able to help you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You can burn it yourself. You just have to do it in a dignified manner.

"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
are you sure all the relatives are gone?

Nephews, nieces?

Or give it to a military collector so it can be taken care of

and put on display in remembrance. VFW most likely will burn it, properly of course.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#4]
He didn't say it was damaged.  Buncha flag-burners jumpin' the gun here

If undamaged there are probably lots of places that would take it off your hands if you didn't want to fly/display it yourself.

Since he doesn't have anyone else left to do it, keep it and fly on holidays.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with MACD.  Keep it, you are doing the man an honor.  Tell people about him and his flag if they ask.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.

I may just keep it and fly it then.  It appears to be in really good condition after 20 years of storage.

I didn't know if that was an acceptable option being that it was a burial flag.

Yes, I am certain that all his relatives are gone.  The parents passed 20-25 years ago, maybe more.  He and his 2 brothers never had children and they all passed within a year of each other 20 years ago.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top