Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 3:35:13 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone remembers any of the more stringent height requirements for becoming a police officer. I thought I had heard about 6' 2" being a requirement for the CT State police in the 70s, but maybe thats total BS. I figure there's a few of you here that might remember some of this stuff from a few decades ago.

ETA: I'm not talking about currently, but in the past.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just wondering if anyone remembers any of the more stringent height requirements for becoming a police officer. I thought I had heard about 6' 2" being a requirement for the CT State police in the 70s, but maybe thats total BS. I figure there's a few of you here that might remember some of this stuff from a few decades ago.

6'2"* is the standard CT State Police minimum

*standing on a standard US dog, not some chihuahua import foolishness
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont know about CT, but here there are some female cops barely pushing 5' even.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
bump?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
6'2 would eliminate a bunch of folks...given the avg male is only around 5'9...

I wouldn't pass muster at 6'1

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Sir Robert Peel set the height limit for London Metro cops to be 6'

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
My understanding is this has largely gone the way of the dodo because it discriminates against female applicants. A department would be hard pressed to keep it as a general standard. I could see having uniform height standard for a ceremonial guard unit but as a general requirement I doubt it could hold up to legal scrutiny.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sir Robert Peel set the height limit for London Metro cops to be 6'

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Not anymore in feely touchy PC UK..Used to be all Coppers were 6 foot tall at least and 16 stone and played rugby in thier off time...how times have changed as the UK embraced the 3rd world

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My understanding is this has largely gone the way of the dodo because it discriminates against female applicants. A department would be hard pressed to keep it as a general standard. I could see having uniform height standard for a ceremonial guard unit but as a general requirement I doubt it could hold up to legal scrutiny.

Oh, I'm aware that height requirements are largely gone in today's world, but I was more curious if standards greater than 6 feet existed.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

but as a general requirement I doubt it could hold up to legal scrutiny.

Why?  Because short people and women and minorities have a God given right to be police?  I'm all for tough standards.  If you don't fit, sucks for you.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  Because short people and women and minorities have a God given right to be police?  I'm all for tough standards.  If you don't fit, sucks for you.  

These days that goes for so many things...I agree with your sentiment, but these days its just not gonna fly being as regardless of abilitys or education we are all "equal"

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd rather have a 5'6" cop who strives to be his best than a 6'2" guy who treats it like any other job. Objective physical standards should dictate qualifications, not arbitrary requirements.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Cops used to be more "hands on" than they are now. The height requirement was made to make sure big guys got on the force
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Cops used to be more "hands on" than they are now. The height requirement was made to make sure big guys got on the force
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd rather have a 5'6" cop who strives to be his best than a 6'2" guy who treats it like any other job. Objective physical standards should dictate qualifications, not arbitrary requirements.

*ding*
I am unaware of any part of a police officer's duty that can only be performed by someone who is over 6 foot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad was denied being a Ohio State Patrolman in the mid 70's due to being one inch short of the requirements.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My dad was denied being a Ohio State Patrolman in the mid 70's due to being one inch short of the requirements.

what was it?

Trying to get a feel for what they were back in the day?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#17]
They got rid of the height requirement. Now most agencies require new police officers to eat a full box of a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in under two minutes while drinking no more than one 8 ounce glass of milk.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

yep, so now we have a bunch of short sawed off guys running around wearing a badge with a big attitude looking to get even were they can.  And to top it all off, the good old days of hickory wood shampooing the bad guys is completely out the window, so its normal every day joe who gets the tickets and reaps the repercussions.  great system eh?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I understand that a taller guy is probably going to be a bit more intimidating, but how could you rule out a 5'10" guy like Georges St. Pierre and say he doesn't make the physical requirement. There should be strict physical strength or fitness requirements, but if your height doesn't impair your ability to take someone down and hold them down, height seems like a stupid prerequisite.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

what was it?

Trying to get a feel for what they were back in the day?

5'9"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top