Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2010 3:23:20 PM EDT
I got a bunch of em.  What do I do with em?  Besides slicing and putting in salad?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTMI

In Before Too Much Information
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Pickles

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Make pickles.

It's easy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
party favors
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Pickles...bread& butter are one of my favs
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pickles

This, nothing to it
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Make pickles.

It's easy.

Made some today.  It's super easy.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Pickles

+1

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Slice 'em thin, and put them into martinis
using Hendrick's Gin!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Little boy says to his mom "Are you going to stick that one up your butt like you did the last one" as she stands holding a cucumber in the produce aisle at Kroger.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
IBTLFOUOC.

In before the lock for obscene uses of cucumbers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#13]
You have me put a 'for rectal use only' sticker on them and give them to your neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Pickles?

That would be like making hamburgers from ground beef?  How does it work?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I have never done it with regular cucumbers but I use the English cucumbers to make a cucumber salad that is damned good.

skin it, slice it, put it in sour cream, mix it put it in the fridge for half hour or so mix in salt and pepper to taste.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have never done it with regular cucumbers but I use the English cucumbers to make a cucumber salad that is damned good.

skin it, slice it, put it in sour cream, mix it put it in the fridge for half hour or so mix in salt and pepper to taste.

You forgot the apple cider vinager.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Banyan Cooler: 1/4 cuke, peeled and seeded
4oz pineapple juice
splash of almond syrup
2oz vodka
Ice
Blast the hell out of all that stuff in the blender, pour it in a glass and go drink it outside. Not sure why, but this combo of ingredients does not overwhelm the cuke flavor.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#19]
You can slice them and soak in vinegar/water/pinch of sugar with some onions and fresh dill for a fresh pickle.  I will ask my MIL for her recipe.  It's a really simple and delicious thing.

You can make Tzatziki sauce - that cucumber dressing for Gyros.

Cucumber sandwiches - buy some rye or pumpernickel cocktail bread (little 2" square loaves sliced thin), smear with mayo, place a slice of cucumber on top then sprinkle with lemon pepper.

I really like the cucumber sandwiches and I love a good Gyro.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#20]
when I was in high school  this girl that was fairly well known and liked had a friend over for the night,  this was my sophmore yea.

the girl walks in on her friend in the bathtub  fuckin herself with a cucumber.  after much  read facedness she backs out and tried to pretend she didnt see nuttin

the next day predictable she tells 2 friends, then they tell 2 friends etc etc etc.
she got the nickname "pickle" pretty quick.

left our HS untill her senior year before she came back hoping the  story had died off like a bad arfcom fad

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]
another cucumber salad recipe

sliced cucumber
balsamic vinegar
sesame oil
chopped tomato
chopped onion
chopped cilantro
salt & pepper

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#22]
make gyros.....with cucumber yougart sauce.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Tomato & cucumber salad  - here's a recipe I found online, but its very close to what I do.  I just add some fresh minced garlic.

INGREDIENTS:
4 medium tomatoes diced or sliced the way you want them
2 medium cucumbers, peeled & sliced
2 onions, sliced and separated into rings
2 Tbsp. Vinegar
1/4 c. Oil, I used Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. minced fresh parsley.  I used the jar because I NEVER have fresh herbs on hand :/
PREPARATION:
Set aside your cut up tomatoes, cucumbers & onions.  In your bowl or mason jar, pour in the remaining ingredients and mix or shake. Throw in your maters, cumbers, and onions into the jar with the mixture and toss around until mixed good.  Marinate 2hrs before serving.  I ususally marinate one hour on the table at room temperature and one hour in the frig!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Be careful on the stairs.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#25]
u cant be serious
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Just don't go to the hospital and say I slipped and fell on it, they won't believe you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Slice them up, and put them in the juice from hot peppers.

AMAZING!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Put em in a brown paper bag on somebody's porch, set it on fire, ring their bell, then run.

Then post pics or
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You have me put a 'for rectal use only' sticker on them and give them to your neighbors.

Piccolo,  A home run as usual..

WELL DONE!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Mrs. Wages pickling spice and some quart mason jars.....you're welcome
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Sell to school system as "educational supplies".
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#32]
This thread is dildos...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I got a bunch of em.  What do I do with em?  Besides slicing and putting in salad?

Give them to somebody else.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Give them to somebody else.

New EE ad:

"Slightly used Cucumbers."

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Cover a slice of bread with cream cheese, cut into four squares, then put a slice of cucumber on each one. Yummy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Slice it up, put slices in water. Let it sit. Drink. Cucumber tea, very refreshing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Make a hat.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Sell them to the homeless womens shelter!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Google "Mock apple rings". They are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Slice them up.
Slice an onion up.
Throw in a bowl.
Mix in some mayonnaise.
???
Profit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Slice them thin with some onions and sprinkle some Alpine Touch on them.

Also slice thin same with onion and add some vinegar and a bit of oil either veggie or canola.
Add Alpine Touch and some pepper.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Make a PETA commercial.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#44]
They are a girls best friend.

Everybody you know should get a basket full from you. Just like tomatoes you always end up with too many.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#45]
you can use them to demonstrate how to apply a condom...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:13:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#47]
IBTRG

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:29:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Make pickles.

It's easy.

It is not easy to make e.g. genuine dill/sour pickles. It is easy to make fake ("fresh pack") pickles.

Fake pickles (like the kind that are most often sold in jars in stores) are basically just cucumbers cooked and marinated in vinegar. Real pickles don't use vinegar (or they very little). They are fermented in a salt brine over a period of a couple of weeks. The sourness comes from the sugars in the pickle turning to lactic acid during the fermentation process. With fake pickles on the other hand, the sourness comes from the acetic acid in the vinegar.

Real pickles tend to be stronger and saltier than fake pickles. They are awesome, but are often hard to find in stores (and even harder to make with good results). If you can find some in your area, try Heinz Premium Genuine Dill Pickles. If you've never had a real dill pickle you'll be amazed. These things make a typical fake "fresh pack" pickle (e.g. Vlasic or Claussen) taste like water.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:35:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Put them on a sandwich.  No seriously, it's freaking awesome.

Cucumber slices
Red Peppers
lettuce
sliced turkey
provolone cheese
creamy Italian dressing
banana peppers
on a French loaf

Awesome eats.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:05:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Make pickles.

It's easy.

It is not easy to make e.g. genuine dill/sour pickles. It is easy to make fake ("fresh pack") pickles.

Fake pickles (like the kind that are most often sold in jars in stores) are basically just cucumbers cooked and marinated in vinegar. Real pickles don't use vinegar (or they very little). They are fermented in a salt brine over a period of a couple of weeks. The sourness comes from the sugars in the pickle turning to lactic acid during the fermentation process. With fake pickles on the other hand, the sourness comes from the acetic acid in the vinegar.

Real pickles tend to be stronger and saltier than fake pickles. They are awesome, but are often hard to find in stores (and even harder to make with good results). If you can find some in your area, try Heinz Premium Genuine Dill Pickles. If you've never had a real dill pickle you'll be amazed. These things make a typical fake "fresh pack" pickle (e.g. Vlasic or Claussen) taste like water.

O.K.  

I don't make pickles anything like you described, and they are certainly as "real" as any other.

I make pickles using a 3-2-1 ratio of water, vinegar, and sugar.  While that is coming up to hard simmer on the stove, I toast yellow mustard seeds, bay leaf, black peppercorns, clove, juniper berries, and green cardomom seeds in a skillet, until they become fragrant; then add them to the liquid and let it steep for about a half hour, maybe longer.  I then cool the liquid down completely.

From there, you can go two ways:  Pour the liquid over the cucumber slices, and let them sit for a few days; or submerge them in liquid, and put them in a vacuum pack machine.  Crank it up until the liquid starts to bubble, and turn it off.  When it removes the air, the liquid is instantly forced into the cucumber slices, and you have "instant" pickles.  That is what I did yesterday.  Using that method, the pickles don't have to stored in the pickling solution, they take on a deep, translucent emerald green color, and they retain their crispness for a long time.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top