Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 2:14:50 PM EDT
I've been inquiring about joining the military for the past 1 1/2 years+ or so. I have a prior POSESSION OF CANABIS and RECKLESS DRIVING (both over 3 years ago) on my record. I guess sometime in August 2009 there was something put into law that anyone with a prior DRUG charge of any kind cannot join.

The recruiter said "I dont know when it will be done for or if it ever will be but supposedly its temporary. Temporary could mean 6 months or 10 years. I dont know."

Was hoping to get some input on whether or not this is completely true that they really dont know whats going on with that rule. Also, if there is any way to get around this?? I dont know what kinda answer i expect but I was always hoping to have some sort of part in the military and it seems like its just not gonna happen according to these recruiters...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Right now, with the economy the way it is, there is no shortage of willing applicants without prior convictions.  Not bashing you OP, but right now the military can afford to be selective about who gets in and who doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah that makes perfect sense.  that's a shame there's so many people trying to join for just a "job" when there's people like me out there with a job who want to join for better reasons.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]

I've been in the process of joining the guard for the last 2 months. They aren't taking any waivers like that at all.  If you tried back in 05 or something. It probably would'nt have mattered.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've been in the process of joining the guard for the last 2 months. They aren't taking any waivers like that at all.  If you tried back in 05 or something. It probably would'nt have mattered.

I guess they just passed some more recent rule about the waivers and stuff in august 2009 (2 weeks before i talked to the recruiter!)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The only way for you to get in is to have your record exspunged. But that will only happen if it was while you were a minor in most cases. I hate to say it but you should have thought about it before doing the crime. Sucks but I gave up/ missed out on that side of life so I didn't screw things up when I was younger.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only way for you to get in is to have your record exspunged. But that will only happen if it was while you were a minor in most cases. I hate to say it but you should have thought about it before doing the crime. Sucks but I gave up/ missed out on that side of life so I didn't screw things up when I was younger.

Stow that advice and save the kid a couple grand in wasted legal fees.  An expungement won't do a thing to get him in the military. An ENTNAC will catch it and he will still have to explain the circumstances of the arrests.

OP- what city are you in?  A lot of the waiver issue will be very command-specific (i.e.: one recruiting station will write such waivers, others won't).  Then again, it is a case-by-case basis even in those stations that write the waivers.  Age, ASVAB score, education tier, level of fitness, dependents, etc all enter into the equation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top