Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 7:29:27 AM EDT
The ones that weren't on the boat....

Not morally, by physically. I’ve only sold two guns, both were FTF (upgraded them both) and am looking at maybe trading a third one. Do you guys generally list on the EE, take the reaming trading at a gun shop, carry it around at gun shows?

I advertised on Midwest Gun Trader once, drove 45 mins to meet the guy at a public place. He never showed nor called nor answered my phone calls. That put a bad taste in my mouth. Family member has dealt with several afrcommers FTF and had great success. Guess we’re not all tin foil wearers!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never had a problem with gunbroker
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The couple times I have ever had the need to part with something I post on a regional gun forum and do a FTF sale.  I bought a few this way too.  It usually works out well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never done that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Never ever ever never ever.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I had thought about listing on GB.

You guys can't be mad at me....I'm trying to get rid of a Mini-14.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're looking to do a FTF, then a regional gun board or the EE is your best bet.  If you're just looking to sell, then Gunbroker is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I've jettisoned some duplicates or dead weight in my collection. I thought I'd miss them terribly... Not so. I was actually surprised at how easy it was.

It's property.

If it was my very last one, yeah I'd be agonizing over it. But in every case I had something else I was focused on getting with that money, which made the transition easier.

I'm actually debating on making more changes once I get a few items finished up. Sell several guns to buy a couple very high quality guns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait a minute - aren't you breaking an arfcom rule?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I sold a gun on EE, and one on texasguntrader.com
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#10]
For premium guns ($1000 +), I list them on Gunbroker.  

Most everything else, I post on the bulletin board out at my gun club.   If it's something that might interest the competition shooters I know, I'll send an email out to our match directors.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Trying to sell a gun i won(and don't need) right now.

Typical tire kickers and one guy that no show, no call, no email.....nice of them to waste your time.

Still nothing, even posting in the EE here, one guy PM's me, and never responds to my reply.

Its tough, but armslist.org is the craigslist of guns.....i have gotten the most attention there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Trying to sell a gun i won(and don't need) right now.

Typical tire kickers and one guy that no show, no call, no email.....nice of them to waste your time.

Still nothing, even posting in the EE here, one guy PM's me, and never responds to my reply.

Its tough, but armslist.org is the craigslist of guns.....i have gotten the most attention there.

Yeah, tire kickers. My other problem is people who offer to trade for random guns that I then start thinking I need. Latest is a guy who has a nice newer Marlin 336 and a Mosin carbine, both in good condition. Those are both on my want list but way down there. I was planning on buying another G19!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Local newspaper has worked for me doing FTF.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#15]
If I want to unload something quick, I will carry it around a gunshow. If not, I will put it on consignment at the local gun store. They are one of the biggest used gun dealers in the region so most guns move fast.
I should know, I moved too slow on a Winchester I wanted and it was gone in a week.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Local gun board. I don't want to mess with shipping and FFL's, so I only do local FTF. I tried Gunbroker a couple of times with semi-rare type things that weren't likely to draw enough attention locally, but every time (well, both times) the deal fell through. I didn't push them to abide by the contract because I didn't mind keeping the guns. While I would have fulfilled my part, I was really hoping for more money out of the deal and when they backed out it was a bit of relief.

But I've rarely, if ever, had a FTF deal fall apart. That might be because the local gunboard has rating systems and they're pretty good people anyway, so it might not work so well on all local boards.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've had good luck with the EE here.

I have sold/traded at least 8 firearms in the E&E (or other forums like E&E) with zero problems.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been debating selling one or two to pay for some new ones but I can't bring myself to do it. Besides loosing money on them, they all have a purpose. Really!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Gunbroker is great because it gives you a national audience, this is my first stop when trying to sell a gun. Other than that I'd try Gunlistings.org or the EE.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#20]
The prepper in me says why not keep another .223 on board, but stuff I will never shoot just doesn't make sense to waste safe space when I can replace it with something I'll use more.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had success with glocktalk, craigslist, and texashuntingforum.com.

I just recently finished up a string of trades to finally get what I wanted - it started off with a guy on craigslist who had a mossberg maverick 88 12ga, I traded him a homeade e-cig that cost me $4 for it straight across.  Traded that and $350 for a mini-14 w/ a leupold VX3 1.5-5 mounted on it, kept the glass and traded the mini 14 straight across for a remington 700 7mm mag ltd edition stainless.  Just traded the remington for a LNIB DPMS LR-308 sportical carbine.

Picked up a NIB diamondback d380+4 mags+holster for $360 shipped on glocktalk, a sigpro SP2022 for $440 FTF, and a completely custom 10/22 - titanium bolt, boyd laminate stock, shaw helical fluted barrel, etc for $350 shipped.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#22]
What is this "sell" of which you speak?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What is this "sell" of which you speak?

Apparently, it is what the other guy is doing every time I buy something. Huh, sounds like it would make me feel all funny inside….

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#24]
the EE here, glocktalk or gunbroker works for me
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had great success with MWGT personally.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Never ever ever never ever.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I've had success with glocktalk, craigslist, and texashuntingforum.com.

I just recently finished up a string of trades to finally get what I wanted - it started off with a guy on craigslist who had a mossberg maverick 88 12ga, I traded him a homeade e-cig that cost me $4 for it straight across.  Traded that and $350 for a mini-14 w/ a leupold VX3 1.5-5 mounted on it, kept the glass and traded the mini 14 straight across for a remington 700 7mm mag ltd edition stainless.  Just traded the remington for a LNIB DPMS LR-308 sportical carbine.

Picked up a NIB diamondback d380+4 mags+holster for $360 shipped on glocktalk, a sigpro SP2022 for $440 FTF, and a completely custom 10/22 - titanium bolt, boyd laminate stock, shaw helical fluted barrel, etc for $350 shipped.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86041/guns/SAM_0336.JPG

That's a beauty, and a great deal on it too.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#28]
The only drawback to gunbroker is an ignorant dealer on their end and/or ignorant shippers on your end.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Little of everything.  Gunbroker, EE, trade in, face to face.  By far my best returns (lowest loss ratio) has been on Gunbroker.  Fastest turn around is trading in at the shop, it's also the lowest return.  EE is generally a good mix of both, decent return, sells quickly enough.  Face to face (by word of mouth or a local ad) has pretty much sucked all around.  But I live in a county where the majority of gun owners would take a free LaRue OBR with S&B glass, sell it for half it's worth so they could buy 2 Savages chambered in ridiculously redundant calibers and mount Simmons scopes on them, and spend the left overs on Whitetail deer bobble head ornaments and Brewers tickets.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Its just a piece of sporting equipment.

I sell them all the time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#31]
One piece of advice is that if you do ship a firearm, go on the ATF website and run the FFL number to make sure the info matches the license and save the report for your records.  It's unlikely anybody would send a fake one, but it takes three minutes to CYA, so why not?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#32]
gunbroker, txguntrader, forums. Most i have sold thru the mail only 2 were f2f.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top