Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 8:05:53 AM EDT
If anybody would know besides the tire manufacturers it's got to be here.

If you look at the tread on a car with directional tread, you notice the front tires and rear tires have tread in the same direction.  A pattern that looks like it would channel water away from the center of the tire.

But on motorcycle tires, the directional tread on the front tire looks "backwards."  Like it would channel water toward the center of the tire.  Why is that?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I disagree with your characterization of a motorcycle tread pattern. Can you post a pic showing what you're saying?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Because the center of the tire isn't in contact with the pavement when you need traction most on a Motorcycle
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Because the center of the tire isn't in contact with the pavement when you need traction most on a Motorcycle

Why does the rear tire have the forward directional tread then?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Same reason it's reversed on the front wheels (non driven) on a motor grader.  It aids steering ability.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it's driven.  It aids in traction in loose/wet ground.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I disagree with your characterization of a motorcycle tread pattern. Can you post a pic showing what you're saying?

Too lazy.  Look at any sport bike with Michelin Pilot powers or any other directional z-rated tire and you can see what I mean.  Some people even install the front backwards because they only looked at the pattern (and match it with the rear tire).  But you have to look at the little arrow marker on the sidewall to see which way she's supposed to spin.

I lever on my own tires and always wondered this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But a RWD drive car has matching front and rear tire directional tread.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But a RWD drive car has matching front and rear tire directional tread.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#9]
This has come up on the SabMag mailing list a few times.

On common answer is that it reduces or corrects hydroplaning if you lock the front wheel.

Another common answer is the observation that the same model tire made for the European market has the "arrows" in the opposite direction, and that the tread pattern may be chosen more by local aesthetics than any overbearing technical reason.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]

yep I noticed this with the last set of tires i put on

thought it was wrong til,I looked at the rotation arrows  and now notice it on other bikes
my theory is the tread faces the direction of most force

with the rear it is acceleration and the front it is breaking

they meet max force in different directions therefore the tread run opposite

if ya look even the low performance motorcycle tires are the same way on most cruisers

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This has come up on the SabMag mailing list a few times.

On common answer is that it reduces or corrects hydroplaning if you lock the front wheel.

Another common answer is the observation that the same model tire made for the European market has the "arrows" in the opposite direction, and that the tread pattern may be chosen more by local aesthetics than any overbearing technical reason.
We're going to need some data to support that one. Michelin, Dunlop, Avon and Continental tires are the same in the US and in other markets. I've never heard of a "reversed arrow" on a tire.

The sipes on a motorcycle radial front tire are designed to move the water into a narrow channel, thus eliminating spray. Look at this page. These are the tires I have on my BMW. If you notice the image at the top of the page, you will see that the front tire produces a very small and shallow rooster-tail, whereas the rear tire sprays the water higher and farther.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The sipes on a motorcycle radial front tire are designed to move the water into a narrow channel, thus eliminating spray. Look at this page. These are the tires I have on my BMW. If you notice the image at the top of the page, you will see that the front tire produces a very small and shallow rooster-tail, whereas the rear tire sprays the water higher and farther.

Makes sense.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine for steering. And more importantly, considering 70% or so of your braking force is exerted by the front brake..
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would imagine for steering. And more importantly, considering 70% or so of your braking force is exerted by the front brake..
If you do it right, 100% of your braking work is done by the front brake.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top