Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:44:05 AM EDT
Got a few questions... not necessarily deciding factors in my purchase decision... I've pretty much made up my mind on that.

How difficult is it to put on and remove a utility rack on one of these? I have a monster canoe and I doubt I could just put it in the bed although I'm still going to measure it out and see if it's possible.

There is an iPod "interface kit". I'm not sure  it's worth it since I can just use the auxiliary jack to play it through the radio.
Does anyone use a radio built to work with an iPod and if so are the controls easy enough to navigate through playlists and such?

Do bed covers actually increase gas mileage? I've heard that they reduce drag and all that mess? I'll probably get one anyway since I like to store things in the back and keep them dry but I'm still curious if that's an urban truck myth.

That's about it for now...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Love my '07 Taco, great choice.  That being said, I didn't have an iPod interface option.  However my wife has a usb/ipod hook up to her vehicle and a 3.5mm jack.  I use both for different reasons.  The USB only does playlists, so if thats what I want, its great for just scrolling through songs on long roadtrips.  It also keeps the phone/iPod charged...big plus.

The down side is that it only does playlists, I cant hear the volume from streamed netflix movies or Pandora through the usb interface...might be something worth checking out.  However, it works flawlessly with the 3.5mm input...I just have to keep the phone/iPod plugged into the cigerette lighter...no biggie.

You'll love your new Taco...they are great trucks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
did you not read the ''tacoma vs. F-150'' thread a few weeks ago??? most said the ford....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
did you not read the ''tacoma vs. F-150'' thread a few weeks ago??? most said the ford....

I own a Ford... Escape. It's going to be the trade-in. I hate Fords. Always have. I think they have a real cheap feel about everything in the interior and they drive ok, nothing more.
It's my wife's vehicle so she got what she wanted... and I got a minivan, which is a great vehicle but I need to recover some man points and a truck is, in my opinion, the best way to accomplish it.

I'm off American vehicles for a while... Owned each of the big three: an S-10 Chevy, a Ford Escape, and a Dodge Caravan. Also had a Saturn. Owned a Honda which was a great car but I pretty much drove it to death before trading it for the S-10.

My only other choice aside from the Tacoma would actually be the Chevy Colorado... it's a good looking truck but it doesn't have the aggressive stature the Tacoma.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep trying to figure out how to steal my soon to be ex wife's 05 SR5.........I LOVE THAT TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

didn't obama win the election? why do people use that argument? The masses are Retards. Do Not Listen To Them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
You'll need a rack or bed extender for the canoe. That was one of the pain points for me. The bed was a whopping 64" so my kayaks(15') hung out really far onto a bed extender. I got a rack and was much happier with it. Make sure you get one for the rail system. Cheap one may work but will be a pita to install. You'll pay more for the rail system compatible racks. Check out some of the Toyota forums. The pop up every now and then in the "For Sale". Good truck but the price tag hurts.Owned one for 4 years. Enjoy
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the Tundra. Wasn't much more money than a Tacoma and the gas mileage isn't much worse.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, they make an Ipod Interface.  I have one and it works a lot better than a Monster Cable.

You can get systems set up so you just use the Ipod interface or you can get them that use an FM reciever type set up and they have their own remote.

I prefer to just use my Ipod as it is and it works just as if you had headphones in.  I will post up the make and model once I get off work.

I would definately get a rack or a full sized topper with a rack ontop.

I saw a Tacoma with a tonneu cover and a rack system set up on top of it for a safari tent set up but, we were both traveling down the interstate and not pulling over to ask questions.

I will post a picture of his rig I took while driving.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
i just bought a used toyota tacoma prerunner double cab saturday.  it's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, you will probably be getting a 6 lug Taco with 4 wheel drive, I just assume because that seems to be the most popular Tacoma everyone gets, or maybe a Pre Runner.

I just got a 2010 5Lug Tacoma regular cab 4 cylender 5 speed manual, and I love this truck. I don't have a family to haul around so a bench seat is just fine. I just use the AUX jack for my IPod which is ok, I can't control the IPod from the radio I have to do everything on the Ipod itself which is fine, I make playlists, get in, hit play, and let it do it's thing...just remember to hit pause when you are going to be away from the truck otherwise it will keep on playing
Here is mine, I finally got some utility out of it this past Labor Day weekend. Just to give you some ideas. Only thing I don't like about the 5 lug Taco's is the tiny ass tires they put on them 215's!!!!! Really? Bigger tires are going to be my first mod, not crazy but normal truck tires 235's or 245's anyway good luck. Tacomas are a lot of fun and really are a nice truck no matter what trim you get.

Yes I know the chain was loose I fixed it don't worry.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Titan is better.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thought I'd get in before the F-150 fanboys, but it was not to be.
I've owned four Toyota trucks, including a Tacoma.  Best vehicles ever.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes... the Tundra isn't too far off but it's way more than I need or want. I'm not a fan of large trucks... I feel like I'm in a tank and just can't control it as well as the smaller ones. The Tundra is awesome, don't get me wrong, but it's not for me.

Quoted:
The bed was a whopping 64" so my kayaks(15') hung out really far onto a bed extender.

This is more than likely what it would end up like if I don't get a rack...

Quoted:
Titan is better.

Why?

They kind of look like a Dakota, a Colorado, and a Ranger had a threesome and that's their bastard hybrid love child.
What's under the hood might be a different story.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Toyota makes legendarily reliable vehicles. Love mine.

I just try to stay away from any of them, Toyota or otherwise, that are union built.

Unions need to die on the vine. Scourge on this country and possibly the greatest threat our Constitution has ever faced.

I hope you enjoy whatever you get, but I hope you also buy something that had as little union involvement as possible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Titan is better.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We must have been looking at different threads because it was pretty even if not tipping in to the toyota side, Also there where a different set of circimstances for that thread.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The hillbillies say F-150 and the experts say Tacoma.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Another Tacoma owner . You will NOT regret getting the Tacoma. A great forum for info/pics is tacomaworld.com.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

didn't obama win the election? why do people use that argument? The masses are Retards. Do Not Listen To Them.

Post of the day

+1

ETA:  Nice Taco above  Here is mine, going to get some of those Goodyear Duratracs as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I have to recommend against Tacoma regular cab, the blind spot is horrible and the bench seat is angled to the rear and puts pressure on my legs at the front, which makes long-distance driving painful, also no seat-back angle adjustment.

Other than that, it does everything I ask it to do, just wish I'd sprung for the extended cab at a minimum.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a '10 Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed. It was a good choice for me and the family.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I got the Tundra. Wasn't much more money than a Tacoma and the gas mileage isn't much worse.

same here. absolutely love it.  toyota makes great trucks.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Another Tacoma owner . You will NOT regret getting the Tacoma. A great forum for info/pics is tacomaworld.com.

http://a.imageshack.us/img80/8691/truck001h.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img713/1082/crownking064.jpg

Lol I knew it wouldn't be long before I saw another TW member here on ARFCOM! I'm Yota Newb on TW, just joined that's my 2010 5 lug further up the page. Pretty sure I've seen your ride on there
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Just bought a 2010 tacoma double cab with the TRD package. Traded in my 03 tacoma. Wont ever own any other truck. Best trucks IMHO.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol I knew it wouldn't be long before I saw another TW member here on ARFCOM! I'm Yota Newb on TW, just joined that's my 2010 5 lug further up the page. Pretty sure I've seen your ride on there

Ha ha nice, TW and Arf are prob the best forums I have found, nice Taco
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#30]
The covers may improve mileage, but the tailgate down helping is utter BS.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Toyota makes legendarily reliable vehicles. Love mine.

I just try to stay away from any of them, Toyota or otherwise, that are union built.

Unions need to die on the vine. Scourge on this country and possibly the greatest threat our Constitution has ever faced.

I hope you enjoy whatever you get, but I hope you also buy something that had as little union involvement as possible.

Unfortunately the legends are old and their safety record of late is by far the worst.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I wish I never would have bought my Colorado. I went with a ZQ8 model that has a lower stance from the factory.

When I get rid of this truck I am going to get a Tacoma X-Runner if they are still being made.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Tonneau covers typically don't help or hurt mileage.  If you need to keep stuff in your bed dry, go for it.  If not, don't waste your money.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Before you do, test drive a comparable Frontier.

I've had 3, all bought used, and haven't spent more than $400 in repairs on all combined.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes, they make an Ipod Interface.  I have one and it works a lot better than a Monster Cable.

You can get systems set up so you just use the Ipod interface or you can get them that use an FM reciever type set up and they have their own remote.

I prefer to just use my Ipod as it is and it works just as if you had headphones in.  I will post up the make and model once I get off work.

I would definately get a rack or a full sized topper with a rack ontop.

I saw a Tacoma with a tonneu cover and a rack system set up on top of it for a safari tent set up but, we were both traveling down the interstate and not pulling over to ask questions.

I will post a picture of his rig I took while driving.

Peripheral is the Ipod interface I use.

Peripheral Ipod Cable

Here is the guy I saw in Oregon this summer, you will need a higher rack than his obviously but at least you can get an idea.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Good choice on the Taco.

In the past 12 years I have had two Tacos, and two Tundras. No complaints here.

Most of my close friends own Toyota products.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:42:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Got a few questions... not necessarily deciding factors in my purchase decision... I've pretty much made up my mind on that.

How difficult is it to put on and remove a utility rack on one of these? I have a monster canoe and I doubt I could just put it in the bed although I'm still going to measure it out and see if it's possible.

There is an iPod "interface kit". I'm not sure  it's worth it since I can just use the auxiliary jack to play it through the radio.

Does anyone use a radio built to work with an iPod and if so are the controls easy enough to navigate through playlists and such?

Do bed covers actually increase gas mileage? I've heard that they reduce drag and all that mess? I'll probably get one anyway since I like to store things in the back and keep them dry but I'm still curious if that's an urban truck myth.

That's about it for now...
They sell foam that slips on the sides of the canoe so you need not worry about a roof rack (this is how I transport my canoe).  You can find them at Dick's.  You can also use those foam noodles that people play with in pools.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Found what I'll probably buy

http://www.lakelandgear.com/ZoomImage.aspx?productID=YA8002589

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Tacomas are the way to go if you're not looking for a full size pickup. I sold my 2000 Tundra last year and bought a 2010 Taco.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/tharden/Avid_2.jpg
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#42]
If it matters to you double cab versions of the Tacoma are made in Mexico, while the single and extended cab versions are made in Texas.

Myself If I were to get one I would want the extended cab since I would prefer the longer bed, better gas mileage, appearance, and I wouldnt plan on hauling people all that often anyways. I figure if I had to take people with me and I didnt have my car I could still just cram them either in the smaller back seat or in the bed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I got a 2010 tacoma trd sport quad cab and i think it's the best hing since sliced bread.

just plug the ipod into the auxillary.

I also got the TruXedo cover for the bed and yes it has improved my gas milage a little.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are a few of us
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are a few of us

Me included.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why couldn't you just use a roof rack coupled with a rack to go in your receiver hitch?  Surely someone makes such a thing.  Handy for ladders too––and removable.  

This.  Both Yakima and Thule make receiver hitch racks.

If you get the Tacoma will you have to change your user name?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:35:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why couldn't you just use a roof rack coupled with a rack to go in your receiver hitch?  Surely someone makes such a thing.  Handy for ladders too––and removable.  

This.  Both Yakima and Thule make receiver hitch racks.

If you get the Tacoma will you have to change your user name?

Not Nissan pathfinder... different pathfinder.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#48]
This is what I like.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:54:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I will hopefully get my new Tacoma (Prerunner, TRD Sport) sometime early next week.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:44:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Is there a place to look that shows the current Toyota finance rate tiers based on credit rating?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top