Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:29:24 AM EDT
I was dove hunting yesterday at the edge of a corn field and one fell into a ditch that was overgrown with weeds.  I walked the edge of the ditch to where I though the bird fell, stopped to look into the ditch, and that's when I saw this huge snake right at my boot.  I almost stepped on its tail.  It was a good 6 foot long and about as big around as a baby's leg.  It was sitting so still that at first I thought it was dead.  Then I moved a little it took off.  It seemed like it grew legs and ran like a lizard.  

Then I had the revelation right there that I wouldn't have been able to outrun this snake if I tried.  It looked like a brown water snake.  Thank goodness it wasn't a cottonmouth or canebreak rattlesnake.  I had been climbing in and out of this ditch a few times Saturday.  I would not go into that ditch again.

I also thought of all the herpetologists' pleas and didn't kill it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you on drugs?  Snakes can't run - they have no legs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are you on drugs?  Snakes can't run - they have no legs.

RIF

It seemed like it grew legs and ran like a lizard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#3]
They can move insanely fast in tall grass or bushes. I've chased snakes that in the blink of an eye were 10' from where I saw them last.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They can move insanely fast in tall grass or bushes. I've chased snakes that in the blink of an eye were 10' from where I saw them last.

I think that's what helped it get that insanely fast take-off.  It kicked off the brush and bank incline.

If it went toward me instead of away, it would have definitely got me.  I stayed clear of the ditch after that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]
You had a shotgun .......
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You had a shotgun .......

I know.  I have killed them in the past.  But I decided to spare this one after hearing all the herpetologist saying that snakes are good.  I also knew this one wasn't poisonous.  Though I hear that brown water snakes can be aggressive and can leave a nasty bacteria filled bite.  This one seemed just as startled as me.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#7]
my guess it wasn't a rattlesnake. my experience has been they don't boogie off, but coil up to strike.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
my guess it wasn't a rattlesnake. my experience has been they don't boogie off, but coil up to strike.

Or a cottonmouth.  They'll coil up and stand their ground as well.   I probably would have felt it before I saw it.  

That's quite a sinking feeling in your gut to look down and realize you just about stepped on a huge fucking snake.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#9]
We just watched a black snake hunting the hedge outside the window at the Firehouse. Little booger was 2 feet off the ground cruising through the hedge. Often he'd disappear for a minute and you could have stood right next to him completley unaware. Spooky how easily they move.

Like the man said, fo havin' no leg they sho' do run fas!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#10]
This is why I seek sanctuary in the sweet frozen north.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This is why I seek sanctuary in the sweet frozen north.

Polar Bears will eat you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top