BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/6/2010 11:51:00 PM EDT

Hassle in Haight over McDonald's menu change

Will Kane, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, September 6, 2010

What would seemingly be an issue of capitalism and supply and demand in any other city, or any other neighborhood in San Francisco, has instead morphed into another battle between merchants and the homeless in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood:

The McDonald's at the corner of Haight and Stanyan streets eliminated its Dollar Menu about a month ago, making the items on it too expensive for the people who spend the better part of their day on the sidewalk in front.

Street people who for years have depended on the McDonald's to eat say it's become a de facto sit/lie ordinance. But the franchise owner says she's just trying to make a little extra money.

It's a fight over 50 cents, plus tax.

You used to be able to get a 390-calorie McDouble for 99 cents, said Nicholas Newhart, a 29-year-old with a Confederate flag tattooed on the back of his head. Without the Dollar Menu it now costs $1.49.

While that price increase may seem trivial, for Newhart and his colleagues it can mean the difference between eating and going hungry. Many homeless think taking away the Dollar Menu is the restaurant management's ploy to get them to go somewhere else. Management locks the bathroom door and frequently calls the cops. On top of that, Mayor Gavin Newsom and several Haight Street merchants are pushing a November ballot measure that would ban sitting or lying on public sidewalks.

The menu change seems like the logical next step, the homeless say.

But that couldn't be further from the truth, says Natalie Gonzales, the franchise owner.

"The speculation as to why I no longer offer menu items for $1 in this location is absolutely false," she said in a statement vetted by the McDonald's corporate office. "This was a business decision based on a number of contributing factors. And while these items are no longer available at $1, they are still available at what I believe to be a good, everyday value."

Franchise owners frequently change the prices of certain menu items in response to customer demand, the Consumer Price Index and other factors, Julie Wenger, marketing director for McDonald's Pacific-Sierra Region, said in a statement.

Still, people like Newhart, who moved from Tennessee to the streets of San Francisco five years ago, say they are often hungrier than usual.

"Yeah man, it ... sucks," he said Thursday while sitting foodless on the McDonald's patio with a half dozen hungry friends. "I eat less. I have to get more money. If I don't have a dollar and I want food, I just end up going to a trash can."

When the cops roll through, as San Francisco police Officer John Andrews did Thursday, and tell Newhart and company that they can't sit on McDonald's patio unless they buy something, they have no choice but to move on. They could buy a 99-cent hamburger, but they say they would rather save the money for another more filling - but more expensive - item.

E-mail Will Kane at [email protected].

This article appeared on page C - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't be homeless. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Even if I were homeless, I'd eat stray cats before I ate McDonald's.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#3]
If they go to college towns they should be able to get the throw out fries...anywhere else and its a no go... freeganism.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#4]

With all the money they save on rent, they should be able to afford good food.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#5]
How can that guy afford to move from Tennessee only to be homeless?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

they do that too, but sometimes its nice to have something cooked once in awhile.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Easier to be homeless in SFO?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:56:49 AM EDT
[#8]

For the ones who aren't very successful at begging or trading cans for scrap, I can see this as making a difference.

For the ones that use some/all of what they can get to buy cheap alcohol or their next fix, well, sucks to be you.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Whew!

When I read the title, I thought it meant that all McDonalds had eliminated the Dollar Menu.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:57:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Bummer.  Don't be a leaching turd then.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]
<snip>
[/div]
[div]You used to be able to get a 390-calorie McDouble for 99 cents, said Nicholas Newhart, a 29-year-old with a Confederate flag tattooed on the back of his head. Without the Dollar Menu it now costs $1.49.
[/div]
[div]While that price increase may seem trivial, for Newhart and his colleagues it can mean the difference between eating and going hungry. Many homeless think taking away the Dollar Menu is the restaurant management's ploy to get them to go somewhere else. Management locks the bathroom door and frequently calls the cops. On top of that, Mayor Gavin Newsom and several Haight Street merchants are pushing a November ballot measure that would ban sitting or lying on public sidewalks.
[/div]
<snip>

colleague  (ˈkɒliːɡ) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
a fellow worker or member of a staff, department, profession, etc

[C16: from French collègue,  from Latin collēga  one selected at the same time as another, from com-  together + lēgāre  to choose]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:08:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

<snip>

[/div]

[div]You used to be able to get a 390-calorie McDouble for 99 cents, said Nicholas Newhart, a 29-year-old with a Confederate flag tattooed on the back of his head. Without the Dollar Menu it now costs $1.49.

[/div]

[div]While that price increase may seem trivial, for Newhart and his colleagues it can mean the difference between eating and going hungry. Many homeless think taking away the Dollar Menu is the restaurant management's ploy to get them to go somewhere else. Management locks the bathroom door and frequently calls the cops. On top of that, Mayor Gavin Newsom and several Haight Street merchants are pushing a November ballot measure that would ban sitting or lying on public sidewalks.

[/div]

<snip>

colleague  (&#712;k&#594;li&#720;&#609;) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n

a fellow worker or member of a staff, department, profession, etc

[C16: from French collègue,  from Latin coll&#275;ga  one selected at the same time as another, from com-  together + l&#275;g&#257;re  to choose]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Cry me a fucking river. If that was my sidewalk those shit stains are sitting all over I would hire a  guy to wash the side walk every hour on the hour all day long rain or shine, fuck bums.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:26:25 AM EDT
[#14]
SanFran should pass an ordinance giving it the power to set McDonalds pricing.  Duh.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:33:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:33:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Whew!

When I read the title, I thought it meant that all McDonalds had eliminated the Dollar Menu.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:37:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You used to be able to get a 390-calorie McDouble for 99 cents, said Nicholas Newhart, a 29-year-old with a Confederate flag tattooed on the back of his head. Without the Dollar Menu it now costs $1.49.

Still, people like Newhart, who moved from Tennessee to the streets of San Francisco five years ago, say they are often hungrier than

Proof that you people from the South are coming here and ruining my state.

You Southern folk have ruined SF.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:42:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Fuck em.

I hope they starve.  I have little sympathy for homeless.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:43:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bummer.  Don't be a leaching turd then.

This.  

Get a haircut, and get a real job

Isn't there a song about that?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:54:12 AM EDT
[#21]
"Homeless PO'ed that dealership charges too much fo cars"

Hey, if you can't afford it shop elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
They're just less fortunate than us.

McDonald's really should take more responsibility for them, being such a big, wealthy corporation, it's their duty as corporate citizens.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:03:40 AM EDT
[#23]
SF the capital of the state of Fail.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I have no sympathy, if the homeless spend less on booze and drugs they would be able to afford to eat.

San Francisco has laws that enable the homeless and a climate that make it a great place for homeless people to infest. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For the ones who aren't very successful at begging or trading cans for scrap, I can see this as making a difference.

For the ones that use some/all of what they can get to buy cheap alcohol or their next fix, well, sucks to be you.

The City of San Francisco gives the homeless over $400 welfare a month (on top of whatever they get from the State and Federal governments), that is enough to buy 10 $1.49 cheeseburgers (over 3000 calories) a day. If they can't afford a cheeseburger it isn't because of their lack of begging prowess.

ETA source:  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/12/03/MNG7M3ER411.DTL
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:31:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Why should we dignify them by calling them "homeless"? A REAL homeless person has lost their residence in a fire, or flood etc. and does appreciate any help to get them started over again. These street people are just bums!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:33:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The City of San Francisco gives the homeless over $400 welfare a month (on top of whatever they get from the State and Federal governments), that is enough to buy 10 $1.49 cheeseburgers (over 3000 calories) a day. If they can't afford a cheeseburger it isn't because of their lack of begging prowess.

ETA source:  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/12/03/MNG7M3ER411.DTL

That's enough money to rent a damn room and not be homeless, plus have mcdonalds money left over.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:35:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:37:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I used to know rich kids from Bolinas(Marin County) who would go to SF every weekend and beg for money in the Haight,and use the money to get high.It's a lifestyle a LOT of people choose,for some stupid reason.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I just don't get it?Won't Mcdonalds give them a job?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:45:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's enough money to rent a damn room and not be homeless, plus have mcdonalds money left over.

But DUUUDE, you just don't undersaaaaand maaaan.  To get that stuff they'd have to like, fill out FOOOOrms and stuff for the estaaaaablishment.  That's just, like, you know.  Corformity.  It's lots better to just like, exist and totally like, groove on the vibes down on the Haight.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:45:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I just don't get it?Won't Mcdonalds give them a job?

MCD has standards that require more than 3 teeth.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:46:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But DUUUDE, you just don't undersaaaaand maaaan.  To get that stuff they'd have to like, fill out FOOOOrms and stuff for the estaaaaablishment.  That's just, like, you know.  Corformity.  It's lots better to just like, exist and totally like, groove on the vibes down on the Haight.

/thread

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easier to be homeless in SFO?

Very aggressive panhandlers/homeless there and the local populace seems to accept that this is normal.

I almost created statistics when I was there a few years ago with my wife.  Nothing like riding the cable car (tourist trap) and when it reaches its destination you are surrounded by these people.

Oh, and I wore an NRA shirt on Haight Ashbury...man.  Jerry's fucking dead.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:54:57 AM EDT
[#35]
im just glad to hear that the homeless are migrating to california.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:04:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
im just glad to hear that the homeless are migrating to california.

Isn't the big one supposed to flush the whole thing in a couple of years?  This could turn out well....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Some people don't choose to be homeless.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Vagrants that loiter at McDonalds are complaining. JESUS CHRIST THIS WORLD IS FUCKED UP.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Vagrants that loiter at McDonalds are complaining. JESUS CHRIST THIS WORLD IS FUCKED UP.

Big +1 on that one!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:29:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nicholas Newhart, a 29-year-old with a Confederate flag tattooed on the back of his head

Mr. Newhart certainly made choices that decreased his likelihood of being able to hold a job when he decided on his avenue of expression.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#41]
How about they open their own restaurant with a dollar menu.
No reason in bitching about what your neighbor does.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:32:59 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

How about they open their own Freegan restaurant with a dollar menu.

No reason in bitching about what your neighbor does.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:33:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

you've never been hungry.

Here's a thought.

A dbl cheeseburger was $.99

At minimum wage, you earn $7.50 an hour.

That's a fricking burger for ever 8 minutes you work.  How the hell do we have people starving in this country.  To put 3 dbl cheeseburgers in your mouth a day, you need to work less than 1/2 hour.

Geez

TXL
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:35:35 AM EDT
[#45]
While the majority of homeless are in that situation because of drug/alcohol addiction and/or mental illness...

...I know there is a large population of "street kids" in SF.

They choose to be homeless as a lifestyle/possibly a form of protest.

Hopefully they will grow out of it
I really don't see how this is newsworthy.
Speed
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

First post nails it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While that price increase may seem trivial, for Newhart and his colleagues it can mean the difference between eating and going hungry. Many homeless think taking away the Dollar Menu is the restaurant management's ploy to get them to go somewhere else.

If my restaurant was overrun with a bunch of bums I'd do whatever I could to get rid of them, too.

Management locks the bathroom door and frequently calls the cops.

Why those bastards! You'd think that they own the place or something!!!

INTOLERANT BASTARD!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:39:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Far out, man!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:39:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but everyone who is homeless is responsible for the choices they have made that landed them in that situation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top