Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 6:17:49 PM EDT
Had some issues today with my brothers 1995 GMC Jimmy. We couldn't get the new filter seal installed into the valve body.

I told my brother, That we will continue working on it in the morning. Without any clue as to what was going on (I went home) I just called him and he said he finished the truck. He threw the pan back on without the filter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
your brother is a retard.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
your brother is a retard.

He just will not follow my advice, He gets angered, And does shit like this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've done it before.

Filled the pan WAY overfull and drove S-L-O-W-L-Y to a place about a mile away where I needed the car to be.

Regular driving, forget it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
In before the transmission goes. The filter is also the pickup sump that pulls ATF from the pan on most hydramatics.

Maybe he got lucky and overfilled it to the level of the valve body.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
JimsZR2's next thread: Any tips on rebuilding a 4L60E?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Freakin LOL, I'm not layin a finger on his truck anymore.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ha.  

Get the Corvette servo for the 1-2 shift...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In before the transmission goes. The filter is also the pickup sump that pulls ATF from the pan on most hydramatics.

This.

Plus, the 4L60E filter is designed to pull fluid from the bottom of the pan, theory being that it's cooler than the fluid that's just been circulated and dumped on the top layer.  Now, it will have to be so overfull that the VB itself will be pulling fluid, and from the very top no less, which means you'll be cycling pretty much the same fluid over and over again.  Not to mention that the clutches aren't really designed to be submersed in fluid 100% of the time.

Cliffs:  Start shopping for a trans.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#9]
He can't complain that the crap truck's tranny went out, when it was user error.  

Let us know when he is in the market for a new truck.  Maybe we can sell him on the super exteneded prepaid service plan to avoid this problem in the future.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Plus, the 4L60E filter is designed to pull fluid from the bottom of the pan, theory being that it's cooler than the fluid that's just been circulated and dumped on the top layer.  Now, it will have to be so overfull that the VB itself will be pulling fluid, and from the very top no less, which means you'll be cycling pretty much the same fluid over and over again.  Not to mention that the clutches aren't really designed to be submersed in fluid 100% of the time.

Cliffs:  Start shopping for a trans.

He has 208,000 miles on it, It's all original, Never rebuilt. It was in great shape.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:. It was in great shape.

The proper wording right there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#12]
You may as well start researching the 4L65E as a direct swap replacement - because he's about to lose D & OD (followed shortly by the loss of 1st & 2nd gear).
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Take your brother to Vegas IMMEDIATELY... I think he might be very good at counting cards.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
He drove it about 3 miles home, And I told him to PARK IT.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#15]
It will work OK for a few minutes.

When the fluid gets foamy from being grossly overfilled, and the pump circulates all that aerated fluid, things will soon change.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Don't need no steenkin' filter........

I hope your brother has enough green for a new trans. It's in his future, I can see it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I hope your brother has enough green for a new trans. It's in his future, I can see it.

Nope, He has not worked in over 3 years. He had a full time job working in a construction company shop, Until he ran his mouth off at the shop foreman.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, He has not worked in over 3 years. He had a full time job working in a construction company shop, Until he ran his mouth off at the shop foreman.

Yhea, that's not good.

I suppose you will be the one installing this filter tommorrow so that he will not be asking you to pay for the new trans.

I understand, family can be a PIA at times............

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#19]
JimsZR2,

Mind if I momentarily attempt to hijack your thread?

Any E4OD gurus in the house? In dire straits here........
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
JimsZR2,

Mind if I momentarily attempt to hijack your thread?

Any E4OD gurus in the house? In dire straits here........

It's alright.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top