Halon
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
.45 with frangible ammo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]
GD is seriously useless these days.  The guffawing "dickfer" redneck mouthbreathers have taken over.

Couch, I think your preparation is a little paranoid, but go with a shotgun if you've got one.  If you just have an AR, stick with that.  Leave both unchambered in case there's a fire while you're out.

And invest in fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.  One way in means one way out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
EJECT!!!!! Get away from her before things go south!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]
just let her go already! her uncles are not going to do shit!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Shotgun with number 8 or 9 BIRDSHOT.... unless you want to take out a neighbor when you miss the BG. You'll be close enough for the shot to do what you want, without the risk of taking out the 4-year old in the next apartment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Shotgun with number 8 or 9 BIRDSHOT...

NO!!!! No birdshot unless you're being attacked by birds.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#12]
After considering your layout. I'd have to say use which ever your more proficiant with. Speed is going to be your biggest concern considering the size of the apartment. Once an intruder is coming thru that door you will have precious little time to grab your weapon and get off an accurate shot. When I lived in a bad hood in a small apartment. I slept with my hand on a 45. Tucked under the pillow. Door opened I allready had gun in hand. Make it as hard as possible to gain entance. If they can't easily get in and have to use a lot of force. It will make a lot of noise as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]
No birdshot unless you're being attacked by birds.

Why don't more people understand this?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

After considering your layout. I'd have to say use which ever your more proficiant with. Speed is going to be your biggest concern considering the size of the apartment. Once an intruder is coming thru that door you will have precious little time to grab your weapon and get off an accurate shot. When I lived in a bad hood in a small apartment. I slept with my hand on a 45. Tucked under the pillow. Door opened I allready had gun in hand. Make it as hard as possible to gain entance. If they can't easily get in and have to use a lot of force. It will make a lot of noise as well.
With all three locks engaged, I would expect to have 5 seconds tops, probably more like 2 or 3 seconds. The doors are so thin that kicking it would likely cause your foot to go straight through and get stuck. That said, I have practiced (with the unloaded shotgun when I first moved in) and can go from asleep, to sitting upright with the shotgun loaded, in enough time to have it pointed at the door right as they move through.

I also had a potential SHTF situation (hard knocking/kicking at 3AM) that released the "massive adrenaline dump". I reacted perfectly. I am not worried about my ability to go from asleep to read to rock in 2 seconds.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
get some .223 soft point hunting/ varmint type bullets, they basicaly desintegrate when they hit drywall vmaxes or somthing, you hit sombody in teh chest they are DOWN. and you wont worry bout your neighbors cat getting shot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
.45 with frangible jacketed hollow point ammo.

I will likely switch to this at age 21.

I use JHP in both my carry gun and my under pillow gun (1911s in condition 1 and condition 3 respectively) which is what I would have recommended, but you mentioned a concern for the round leaving the confine of your apt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Saiga 12 w/ 10 round mag of 00 buckshot
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Then I'd again recommend the 870, couch.  AR-15 is unforgiving to bring into action in a half-awake state, pump is easier.

Also, make sure your cell phone always works, and a ham radio to supplement it might not be stupid.

Also, have a plan for door knocks.  Remember that you can manipulate a shotgun and you can manipulate a door, but you can't do both at the same time.  And do you have any way of seeing who's at the door without them seeing you?  A good security/surveillance system can come in very handy, particularly if it can reliably (cell, not landline) inform you when you are away from home that somebody's waiting for you inside.

As a temporary measure, you can maybe leave a visible tell, but, like a leaf above the door that falls when it's opened, but most idiots will see and replace that one.

Make sure you have a good relationship with your neighbors.  Offer them brownies or cookies and give them your phone number.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#19]
If you think you're going to have life-threatening  problems from the ex girlfriend's family, and she knows where you live then my first suggestion would be to go apartment shopping.  I think that either weapon would be suitable, if you're going to be fighting for your life go with whichever you're more proficient in the use of.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#20]
1. Use what you are most proficient with.
2. Get a weapon mounted light.
3. Buy small magnetic alarm. When the magnetic contacts separate the alarm sounds. Even if someone picks your door the alarm will sound. These can be had for $5 ea. at large hardware stores. Put them on all doors and windows.
4. I know I will be crucified for this, but if I was going before a jury I would prefer to have the prosecutor hold up a shotgun over an AR-15 before the jury.
5. Start police paper trail. If you believe there is a legitimate threat against your life you may want to consider having the police take a report.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
GD is seriously useless these days.  The guffawing "dickfer" redneck mouthbreathers have taken over.

Couch, I think your preparation is a little paranoid, but go with a shotgun if you've got one.  If you just have an AR, stick with that.  Leave both unchambered in case there's a fire while you're out.

And invest in fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.  One way in means one way out.
Yep. Magazines loaded, chamber empty. I do have a few fire extinguishers.

I normally don't worry about this, but here is the situation. My ex-GF is emotionally unstable. Much of her family are involved in organized crime and drug trafficking. They are the types who kill cops (one uncle is in prison for this). They have told her in the past that if some guy breaks her heart or gives her a hard time, they would "take care of it." She also has tons of friends who would kick my ass/kill me for her at the drop of a hat. Luckily, most of them are currently out of state.

The probability of armed confrontation is low (my tires are not slashed yet) but even so, it never hurts to be prepared.

Take it from me and don't ask how I know this. But unless you raped or beat that girl. The chance of one of her "friends" killing you is remote. Most hardcore type's won't risk the heat just cause some little bimbo wants you beat up. But you can never be too careful. And if you insist on dating women who have family's tied to organized crime. You may want to learn to fight. And carry a gun at all time's..........Just saying
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
1. Use what you are most proficient with.
2. Get a weapon mounted light.
3. Buy small magnetic alarm. When the magnetic contacts separate the alarm sounds. Even if someone picks your door the alarm will sound. These can be had for $5 ea. at large hardware stores. Put them on all doors and windows.
4. I know I will be crucified for this, but if I was going before a jury I would prefer to have the prosecutor hold up a shotgun over an AR-15 before the jury.
5. Start police paper trail. If you believe there is a legitimate threat against your life you may want to consider having the police take a report.

This is all good advice
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Wristrocket, pocket of rocks, and wasp spray.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I would use an AR with M193 ammo.

The Hornady ammo may not fragment, upon impact with a dense material. The M193 ammo is far more likely to fragment upon impact with dense material. This would reduce the likelihood that a round would over penetrate and hit an unintended target.

That's my $.02
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Move, pick better women, and carry a gun at all times, are all excellent pieces of advice.  Get into the habit of looking outside before you go outside, including around corners and for guys surveilling from the parking lot, street, or across the street.  A couple small, cheap mirrors mounted under the building's overhangs can give you 180 degree visibility straight down, without having to crane your neck for a partial view.  Cameras also achieve this, without having to even get near a window.

And is your ex reading this thread?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Not much to add here, but for apartment living, its hard to beat an alarmed door stop.  I live in an apartment and since a serious security set-up is out of the question for the time being, the alarmed stop will not only alert you, but also provide another barrier and precious few seconds if they get past the locks.  I think I got mine for less than $10 at lowes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#29]
guess that's that, whatever it was
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top