Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/3/2010 2:42:05 PM EDT
I heard on the radio today that the state boys, parish sheriffs and local PD will be running several DWI checkpoints this weekend. I thought it was just my neck of the woods but another Louisiana arfcommer advised it was going on all over the state.

Don't get me wrong, I have a big problem with driving drunk. One of my wife's friends from HS (who had THREE prior DWI's) got drunk, drove and ran his car into a tree at about 70mph killing him and his passenger. I was pissed at the friend and at the system for letting him get THREE DWI's with just a slap on the wrist. He had four little girls that are now growing up without their father.

That being said, being stopped without cause just skeeves me out. Maybe if they would throw an immigration checkpoint in the mix with the sobriety checkpoint it would take the sting out.

The Hive's thoughts?

Incidentally, it's 2nd Amendment Tax-Free Weekend here. Guns, ammo, scopes - no state tax. The government giveth and the government taketh away.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully they advertise it enough that some drunks stay off the roads.  Don't you wish your friend's wife was worried about DUI checkpoints?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
They are pulling everyone that drives down those particular sidewalks over!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck checkpoints.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
good too many innocent people get killed by drunks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hopefully they advertise it enough that some drunks stay off the roads.  Don't you wish your friend's wife was worried about DUI checkpoints?

That's nice that Rosco P. Coltrain will be out this weeked and all...
But it's really just a come on for a fishing expedition to give tickets to make Boss Hog money...expired registration, inspection sticker....doodad hanging from the rear veiw mirror...tailight out.

How about this....a drunk gets in an accident and he gets SERIOUS (and I mean bubba's little bitch) prison time.

My neighbor got three DUI's (smooshed up a few cars while he was drunk too...neighbors even caught driving on the sidewalk drunk) and all he got on the last one was 6 months of work release (felony conviction though). Personally, I think he should be in the slammer for at least 5-10 years learning to make himself pretty for his cellmate. I mean, fuck...the bar is right down the street at the golf course club house....asshole could have walked home....

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont worry, its for your safety revenue
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah we had a drunk cop here in Indy run some people over a couple weeks back....
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A lot of innocent people die from guns too, should we hand them in for inspection at the whim of LEOs w/ NO warrants and NO PC?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't drink and drive, seems pretty simple to me.  And yes, I understand the 4th amendment objections, but these checkpoints have been upheld by SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of innocent people die from guns too, should we hand them in for inspection at the whim of LEOs w/ NO warrants and NO PC?

More DUI deaths and injuries, but good comparison.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice that Rosco P. Coltrain will be out this weeked and all...
But it's really just a come on for a fishing expedition to give tickets to make Boss Hog money...expired registration, inspection sticker....doodad hanging from the rear veiw mirror...tailight out.

How about this....a drunk gets in an accident and he gets SERIOUS (and I mean bubba's little bitch) prison time.

My neighbor got three DUI's (smooshed up a few cars while he was drunk too...neighbors even caught driving on the sidewalk drunk) and all he got on the last one was 6 months of work release (felony conviction though). Personally, I think he should be in the slammer for at least 5-10 years learning to make himself pretty for his cellmate. I mean, fuck...the bar is right down the street at the golf course club house....asshole could have walked home....

I agree about the fishing part.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't drink and drive, seems pretty simple to me.  And yes, I understand the 4th amendment objections, but these checkpoints have been upheld by SCOTUS.

Yeah, it's all good as long as they don't ask you if you're here illegally.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]
i dont see a problem at all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I heard on the radio today that the state boys, parish sheriffs and local PD will be running several DWI checkpoints this weekend. I thought it was just my neck of the woods but another Louisiana arfcommer advised it was going on all over the state.

Don't get me wrong, I have a big problem with driving drunk. One of my wife's friends from HS (who had THREE prior DWI's) got drunk, drove and ran his car into a tree at about 70mph killing him and his passenger. I was pissed at the friend and at the system for letting him get THREE DWI's with just a slap on the wrist. He had four little girls that are now growing up without their father.

That being said, being stopped without cause just skeeves me out. Maybe if they would throw an immigration checkpoint in the mix with the sobriety checkpoint it would take the sting out.

The Hive's thoughts?

Incidentally, it's 2nd Amendment Tax-Free Weekend here. Guns, ammo, scopes - no state tax. The government giveth and the government taketh away.

Regardless of what the Supreme court said, I still think it violates the 4th amendment.  I also think it is an inefficient way of getting drunks.  It is good for seat belt and insurance violations though.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Jim Crow was upheld by SCOTUS for years, too.

Fuck the MADD bitches and Fuck DUI laws!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"U.S. for 2006, there were 30896 deaths from firearms"

"2006 US DUI fatalities 38,648"

Certainly close enough to be compared

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

So if SCOTUS upholds gun bans ... that makes them morally right and constitutional in an originalist interpretation?

Have you ever READ michigan V Sitz?

Reinquest makes some pretty tall leaps
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Other bad things have been upheld by the SC, does that make them good?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#19]
There's a checkpoint within view from my house as I type this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is where I have issues too. Believe me, no apologist for driving drunk. But it reverses teh standard innocent until proven guilty burden. Now you have to show your innocence by passing the checkpoint questions.

Another step towards pre-crime BS (don't get me started on that...).

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to MADD      In 2006,  13,470 people were killed in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Did the SC also uphold that making a u-turn to avoid a checkpoint gives the police probable cause to stop you?

Because that's what normally happens.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Honestly - BFD.  If the minor delay from a properly run/staffed checkpoint causes you that much grief you're wound way too tight IMO.

Does LA impound cars being driven by unlicensed drivers?

Brian
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Did the SC also uphold that making a u-turn to avoid a checkpoint gives the police probable cause to stop you?

If it's an illegal u-turn it's a righteous stop.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fuck checkpoints.

Yeah... I can't say I'm a big fan of these either.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to MADD      In 2006,  13,470 people were killed in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes.

DOH!!!!

You are right , I dropped a column in the spreadsheet I was reading and list ALL auto fatalities .....

Meaning almost 3 times as many gun deaths as DUI
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I love the hypocrisy of this place.

Most will lament the "reasonable restrictions" SCOTUS says can be applied to the 2nd amendment in the name of safety,
yet applaud the "reasonable restrictions" on the 4th that are incurred due to DUI checkpoints.

ONOZ, it's teh drunk driverzzzz!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#29]
don't forget if you refuse the breath test they will be drawing blood .
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

It's only illegal if the DOT has a posted no u-turn sign (or if you do it in a reckless/dangerous manner).
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I love the hypocrisy of this place.

Most will lament the "reasonable restrictions" SCOTUS says can be applied to the 2nd amendment in the name of safety,

yet applaud the "reasonable restrictions" on the 4th that are incurred due to DUI checkpoints.

ONOZ, it's teh drunk driverzzzz!!!!!!!

Yup.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
don't forget if you refuse the breath test they will be drawing blood .

You're already under arrest at that point.....

Brian
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

There is required to be a legal means of escape before entering the checkpoint.....

2 things happen here in the real world

a) cops ignore the law (impossible I know)

b) they pull over everyone that takes the route for (make some random shit up here)

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Hive's thoughts?

It's not just in your AO. It's all over the country. I hope they catch a bunch.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Honestly - BFD.  If the minor delay from a properly run/staffed checkpoint cop randomly running your legally carried firearm causes you that much grief you're wound way too tight IMO.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#36]
What's AO?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Hive's thoughts?

not here ...... 11 states have them illegal

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What's AO?

Its a term high speed tacticool civilians use to describe their hoods......
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's AO?

Its like OG but for white people.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#40]
While DUI checkpoints have a good intent, I don't agree with them at all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Honestly - BFD.  If the minor delay from a properly run/staffed checkpoint causes you that much grief you're wound way too tight IMO.

Does LA impound cars being driven by unlicensed drivers?

Brian

My displeasure is the a result of the trampling of the constitution than any time spent.  Even if its done in an efficient manner with a smile on their face, its still an infringement.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Hive's thoughts?

Which 11?  I wish OK was one.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#43]
My Wife was hit damn near head on by a drunk driver back in 1989,
Police estimated he was going 47 MPH, she was going 50 MPH,
The speedometer was stuck at 50. She was in a 1995 Caprice,
he was in a 1981 Olds station wagon, neither small cars.

Thank God, and the fact she was in a large car, and seat belted in,
We ( myself and 5 kids ) came close to losing her.
She still has some issues from it with her shoulder sometimes.

I believe in karma, so I won't wish anything bad on anyone, but maybe
if you got called from work to come to the hospital ASAP because a loved
one " might not make it " because of a drunk driver, you might feel different
about checkpoints.

I hope they catch thousands this week end.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#45]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_checkpoint

The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution states that: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” Thus the Constitution would appear to prohibit people from being stopped without a search warrant or at least without probable cause that they have committed a crime; however, the warrant requirement only attaches should the search be unreasonable and the Supreme Court, as shown below, decided that such stops are not unreasonable under certain circumstances.

The Michigan Supreme Court had found sobriety roadblocks to be a violation of the Fourth Amendment. However, by a 6-3 decision in Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz (1990), the United States Supreme Court found properly conducted sobriety checkpoints to be constitutional. While acknowledging that such checkpoints infringed on a constitutional right, Chief Justice Rehnquist argued the state interest in reducing drunk driving outweighed this minor infringement.

Dissenting justices argued that the Constitution doesn’t provide exceptions. "That stopping every car might make it easier to prevent drunken driving...is an insufficient justification for abandoning the requirement of individualized suspicion", dissenting Justice Brennan insisted.

Chief Justice Rehnquist argued that an exception was justified because sobriety roadblocks were effective and necessary. On the other hand, dissenting Justice Stevens countered that "the findings of the trial court, based on an extensive record and affirmed by the Michigan Court of Appeals, indicate that the net effect of sobriety checkpoints on traffic safety is infinitesimal and possibly negative."

Although the U.S. Supreme Court has found sobriety checkpoints to be constitutionally permissible, ten states have found that sobriety roadblocks violate their own state constitutions or have outlawed them. Opposition to sobriety roadblocks is generally stronger among civil libertarians, conservatives and libertarians.

So if, a few years from now, the Obama appointees hear another firearms case and a 5-4 majority decides that, "Banning all civilian ownership of firearms is necessary to combat gang violence & therefore outweighs the minor infringement of the 2A."

All you DUI checkpoint supporters are OK with that???
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I was stopped at a DUI checkpoint during the July 4th holiday.  There was nearly fifteen cops in row pulling over cars at fifteen at a time.  When the LEO approached my vehicle I leaned out my window and ordered a Big Mac, large fries and a diet coke  

He gave me a little grin and without even looking at me asked for my license and he continued to scan my vehicle with my wife and son inside.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

My Wife was shot by some asshole with a gun hit damn near head on by a drunk driver back in 1989,

Thank God, and the fact he couldn't soot for shit  she was in a large car, and seat belted in,

We ( myself and 5 kids ) came close to losing her.

She still has some issues from it with her shoulder sometimes.

I believe in karma, so I won't wish anything bad on anyone, but maybe

if you got called from work to come to the hospital ASAP because a loved

one " might not make it " because of a drunk driver some asshole with a gun , you might feel different

about gun control checkpoints.

I hope they catch thousands this week end.

It's just as emotional , and just as wrong... either way

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Hive's thoughts?

Which 11?  I wish OK was one.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/checkpoint_laws.html

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Hum....I see many here support illegal search's...fuck the 4th right?
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Ruled unconstitutional in Oregon years ago... As they are!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#50]
nevermind
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top