Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2002 10:42:02 AM EDT
My father is "landscaping" his yard today.  They just built a new house on our ranch about 5 mi. northeast of my house.  So in his infinate wisdom he wanted buffalo grass for his yard to match the surrounding prairie.  Ok, so I drove out there at lunch today to see what he was up to and he had cut, well scraped, a bunch of sod from one of the pastures to complete his yard.  The problem is his just scooped up sections of grass with a front-end loader and set them around the house.  Some of the sections of grass are 3ft. thick! and some are a foot thick.  Needless to say his yard is all sorts of different heights.  I asked him just what the hell he was doing, and do you know what his response to the uneven (haha!) yard was....Oh well when we get a big rain it will all level out.  Please, we get 10" of rain out here on a wet year...What a hick, that just gives a whole new term to it.  Old cowboy turned landscaper.  All I can do is just shake my head and laugh, my mother wasnt' too pleased either.  What a way to ruin the looks of a new house.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]
sounds like we might be related, my father did almost exactly the same thing,then he decided to dig a pond.  right next to the septic field. that was neat. of course this is the guy that when my mother was out of town, cooked spaghetti-o's for my brother and i .... he added a can of water to it.  must of thought it was soup or something.  let me guess, his goin' out clothes consist of a wrangler shirt with snaps for buttons, jeans and a leather vest. if you say yes, there's no doubt, we're related.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
sounds like we might be related, my father did almost exactly the same thing,then he decided to dig a pond.  right next to the septic field. that was neat. of course this is the guy that when my mother was out of time, cooked spaghetti-o's for my brother and i .... he added a can of water to it.  must of thought it was soup or something.  let me guess, his goin' out clothes consist of a wrangler shirt with snaps for buttons, jeans and a leather vest. if you say yes, there's no doubt, we're related.
View Quote

You've nailed it, He built a 62 acre pond awhile back, paid to have it stocked with fish so he could get away from the wife and not have to travel far.  Well, after a while it got alittle moss in it. So he dumped a couple pounds of Copper Sulfate in the pond...killed the moss and everything fish in it.  Needless to say, it is 3 years later and we still can't get a fish to survive in it, or let any cows drink out of it...
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You've nailed it, He built a 62 acre pond awhile back, paid to have it stocked with fish so he could get away from the wife and not have to travel far.  Well, after a while it got alittle moss in it. So he dumped a couple pounds of Copper Sulfate in the pond...killed the moss and everything fish in it.  Needless to say, it is 3 years later and we still can't get a fish to survive in it, or let any cows drink out of it...
View Quote

For any EPA narcs out there... just ignore this, he's just kidding, right? [;)]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's entirely possible that we are long-lost brothers, as this is something my dad would do.  He once tried to make a jacuzzi out of an old deep-freezer and some garden hose.  

I wish I could say I was kidding.
View Quote

I think we may be, This is the guy that didn't want to spent $20 on a stock tank de-icer, so he put a bottle of propane next to the tank with a hose that he attached to the bottom of the tank so it would slowly bubble up, keeping the ice from accumulating on top.  Didn't work at all except for about an inch diameter hole in the ice, but he insisted on keeping it there for the whole winter--costing him I don't know how much...We bought new de-icers that next year---but "The theory is sound, it will work someday"  Yeah right, dad.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Upon retirement, my father decided he wanted a large cactus to accent the yard.

Hmmm. Can't for the life of me understand why that cactus didn't take,in the rain soaked soil of N.E. Pennsylvania.
Or could it have been the unforgiving blizzard of 93' that killed it?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's entirely possible that we are long-lost brothers, as this is something my dad would do.  He once tried to make a jacuzzi out of an old deep-freezer and some garden hose.  

I wish I could say I was kidding.
View Quote

I think we may be, This is the guy that didn't want to spent $20 on a stock tank de-icer, so he put a bottle of propane next to the tank with a hose that he attached to the bottom of the tank so it would slowly bubble up, keeping the ice from accumulating on top.  Didn't work at all except for about an inch diameter hole in the ice, but he insisted on keeping it there for the whole winter--costing him I don't know how much...We bought new de-icers that next year---but "The theory is sound, it will work someday"  Yeah right, dad.
View Quote

mmmm, propane flavored water, bet the cows loved that.
one time, my father decided to make a slop tank (for pigs) out of an old pickup gas tank, anybody want to guess what happened next? (sure, i cleaned it out son)
no eyebrows.
THAT was funny.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Based on what I've read here, I bet most of you guys are really excited about that new evidence that supports mating of first cousins.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My father is "landscaping" his yard today.  They just built a new house on our ranch about 5 mi. northeast of my house.  So in his infinate wisdom he wanted buffalo grass for his yard to match the surrounding prairie.  Ok, so I drove out there at lunch today to see what he was up to and he had cut, well scraped, a bunch of sod from one of the pastures to complete his yard.  The problem is his just scooped up sections of grass with a front-end loader and set them around the house.  Some of the sections of grass are 3ft. thick! and some are a foot thick.  Needless to say his yard is all sorts of different heights.  I asked him just what the hell he was doing, and do you know what his response to the uneven (haha!) yard was....Oh well when we get a big rain it will all level out.  Please, we get 10" of rain out here on a wet year...What a hick, that just gives a whole new term to it.  Old cowboy turned landscaper.  All I can do is just shake my head and laugh, my mother wasnt' too pleased either.  What a way to ruin the looks of a new house.  
View Quote

Sounds to me like you don't own a compact tractor with a front end loader. [smash]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#13]

And yes, my son, ye too shall grow old.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#15]
too funny. just make sure you don't borrow that preban to them..who knows what would happen.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I think some pictures are in order.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Wish my father was still around to do shit like that. Enjoy it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top