Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2002 8:05:50 AM EDT
One of my classes that I am teaching is an introduction to the Internet and Web Design course.  The students are entry level, community college students, and the course is 4 hours credit.  

95% of the students have never before created a webpage and we used No textbook for the class.

I taught them to use Web resources to learn HTML, and the principles of Web Design.  They are learning to be self-taught web designers.  

Their 'main' project was to overhaul the Faculty  Pages for our campus.  They used only Notepad as their editor, and MS Frontpage to upload and tweak the pages.

Here is the before:

[url]http://www.tvcc.cc.tx.us/carlile/[/url]
[url]http://www.tvcc.cc.tx.us/nspencer/[/url]
[url]http://www.tvcc.cc.tx.us/thainze/[/url]

Here is what the students in my class created, from scratch, using only the Internet, class discussions, principles of design, peer tutoring, etc.

[url]http://www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/facultywebpage.html[/url]

They have completed pages for 5 other faculty members and they will be uploaded once they pass the instructors final approval.

TheRedGoat

Ps.  The Gorilla image is temporary.  The students felt it represented me since it wears a Cheshire Cat grin and a short hair style.   They used monkey images to represent intructors until  Digital pics could be taken.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#1]
The ICONS and icon bar are way to big, but the overall layout and graphics are nice and clean.

Check out my latest site, and let me know what grade I would have received in your class...  [;)]

[url]www.ar15-convention.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The ICONS and icon bar are way to big, but the overall layout and graphics are nice and clean.

Check out my latest site, and let me know what grade I would have received in your class...  [;)]

View Quote

I agree about the icons and the bar.  We discussed it in class, they liked the look, and I try to let them be the judge of what 'they' like to see.  

FWIW, each piece of information on the site was determined by the students, layed out by them, graphical buttons created freehand, and even the instructor information was gathered by the groups (office hours, syllabus etc.).

I can live with the icons, since they worked so hard to make them.

I appreciate your comment that the site is nice and clean.  We tried very hard to achieve that look.

As for your site.  VERY nice!

Clean site, no animations, no scrolls.  Simple and easy to navigate.  

I did notice something odd.  When I mouseover the AR15.com rifle in the top left, after leaving the java buttons, it shows as a clickable link.   When I mouseover from the large image of the rifle in the center, it does not show as the small rifle as a clickable link.  Could be my Netscape acting up.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ps.  The Gorilla image is temporary.  The students felt it represented me since it wears a Cheshire Cat grin and a short hair style.   They used monkey images to represent intructors until  Digital pics could be taken.
View Quote

You mean that wasn't you. Here I go thinking it was you after not shaving for a few days. Hmmphhh.....

How bout some Flash pages to jazz it up.

Ex: www.awesome-als.net
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean that wasn't you. Here I go thinking it was you after not shaving for a few days. Hmmphhh.....

How bout some Flash pages to jazz it up.

View Quote

You're awfully funny when you are out of rifle range....

As for the flash, that will be the Advanced WEb Design Class.  [;)]

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

[img]http://www.awesome-als.net/images/tm1demo.jpg[/img]

That is you on the left, about to beat up the little kids while they aren't looking, right?

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice Pop-Ups
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That is you on the left, about to beat up the little kids while they aren't looking, right?

TheRedGoat
View Quote

Actually the kids performed superbly that I did not have to bust heads open after we got back to out dojo.

Note: This was my kids demo team when I taught martial arts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top