Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2002 6:04:49 AM EDT
Be sure you don't try to fly with urine samples on your person. [:D]

[url]http://www.thedenverchannel.com/den/news/stories/news-135745820020405-090410.html[/url]

Boy Becomes Ill After Airport Security Check

Teen Said Security Told Him To Drink From Bottle Of Stream Water

Posted: 8:52 a.m. MST April 5, 2002

A 14-year-old Pennsylvania boy believes he become ill after security personnel at the Aspen, Colo., airport made him drink stream water from a one-gallon bottle he had in his backpack.

The boy said he was carrying the Rocky Mountain stream water back to Pennsylvania to get extra credit in his biology class.

As part of new security measures at all airports, passengers must take a drink of any beverages they are taking aboard aircraft.

Elliot Gosko believes he contracted giardia after drinking from the bottle filled with stream water collected during his Aspen visit. Gosko said he became ill on the Easter Sunday flight from Aspen after drinking the water. He missed two days of school before seeing a doctor.

Health officials said that stream water, particularly in the springtime, is known to cause giardia or salmonella because of an increase of parasites in the water.

He said he didn't question the airport screener's instructions because "I was just following orders," he told the Aspen Daily News. He said he was traveling alone on the Northwest Airlines flight.

"My son, the bioterrorist," said George Gosko Jr., Elliot's father. But he still thinks security took it a little too far with his son.

"They didn't ask him what it was or why he was carrying it," he told the News. "We're out here on the East Coast and we're close to what happened in New York City and I'm all for security. But I'm not for stupidity."

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
brilliant security or

ignorant sheep?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, but don't you feel safer already?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe this is to ensure that the liquid inside the carry-on bottle is not a flammable or explosive.  Not a bad idea once you think about the possibility of what a quart of rubbing alcohol and a lighter could do inside a passenger aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I can assure you that even as we discuss this in the safety of our own homes and offices, there are folks out there who are literally devoting their lives to figuring out ways to bring a few more US commercial airliners down in flames.

And are the folks who have access to the planes as thoroughly screened as the folks coming onto the planes as paying customers?

I sincerely doubt it.

It's like the loss-prevention statistics of most retail stores: shoplifting accounts for around 10%, while employee embezzlement and theft accounts for around 90%, of all loss from theft.

It would be better for companies to remove the hidden cameras from the public areas of their stores and concentrate on the loading docks and employee-only areas.

Which is what they've done, so I've been told!

We need such metal detectors, spot checks, and security cameras in the employee-only areas of airports, as well!

Eric The(Reasonable)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems to me a simple and relatively foolproof test would be:

(1) Sniff it.  Most flammable liquids smell to high heaven.

(2) Pour some in a metal pan and look for fizzing.  This would rule out corrosive acids.

(3) Throw a match in it and see what happens.

Then, as a precaution, have the flight attendants stow it on the flight where the owner cannot retrieve it.

I can see it now... A medical team is transporting a human liver for an emergency transplant operation, and the airport security personnel makes one of them taste it. [:X*]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can see it now... A medical team is transporting a human liver for an emergency transplant operation, and the airport security personnel makes one of them taste it. [:X*]
View Quote

One can only hope that the next passenger in line would have a bag of onions and an electric-frying pan in HIS carry-on... [:D]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Let us look at the root of the problem:

Was it a young boy that hijacked planes in the first place?

Is it young american boys that are demontrating in front of Embassies shouting "Death to America"?

Was it the average American that is smuggling bio weapons into the US?

The answer is a clear and simple NO.

The fact of the matter is since September 11th until Feb 1st, 2002, over 35,000 visas were granted to people to enter this country from countries on the US terrorist watch list!

So...lets get this straight:

The US continues to let "high risk" people into the country that are known to have the desire to "kill" America.

YET, who does the new legislation and security measures target?

You and I, my friend.

What is wrong with this picture?

Take a guess.

Franklin
[url=http://www.survivalforum.com]SurvivalForum[/url]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I think the Middle-Eastern people that attacked the WTC/Pentagon probably achieved 99% of their goals when they created the siege mentality here in the U.S. and around the world. I guess everybody wants a 110% assurance that they will be safe, and of course everything short of a strip/body cavity search will gaurantee that, and I'm that is probably not 100% certain either.

I wonder where have I heard the remark, "I was only following orders" before? Sounds strangely familiar.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#10]
The airline security system you see at airports these days is the same old, eye wash we've had for years. Its the same high school drop outs doing the same politically correct but useless job. Being made to drink liquids carried on board is just another example of how messed up the system is. There is no common sense involved and very little security. Have you heard of anyone being made to drink contact lense solution? I haven't but a small contact lense solution bottle was used in an actual bomb used on an aircraft. There is a threat. They just have no clue or are unwilling to do what is necessary to guard against it. Making little kids drink pond water and frisking 90 year old ladies is not what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#11]
"I was just following orders" Haha! Stupid sheeple.

Y'all wanted this and now y'all got it. I hope they start doing on the spot body cavity searches to everyone who isn't wearing a chastity belt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got home from work at the airport where I am a mechanic for an airline. I was searched on the way in and on the way out. There are camras every where even in our break room. There are people walking around the ramp with metal detectors checking us, which is a real pain in the ass when carring a tool belt a walki-talki, and a mag light under yur parka. And I will be the first to admit it would not help in a disgruntalled employee situation.BUT and this is a big BUT I do not think any more security is the solution to the problem.
When we trade away our freedom for security what have we  become??
When you want a bunch of JBT's running around checking papers and stripping people you will get real security.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The airline security system you see at airports these days is the same old, eye wash we've had for years.
View Quote

Nail.

Head.

After nearly a decade in working for the airlines including in airports and testing security checkpoints...."Airport Security" was a show for the public before 9/11, since 9/11, it's just a bigger public show.  Mostly focused at the security checkpoint.

If you had a 'terrorist budget' big enough to send multiple people to flight schools, fly them all over the country, enough rent/food money for months on end.....do you think that even a fraction of that money would be enough to bribe a current airport worker out of his ID badge for a day (or just steal his ID badge).  Bypassing the airport security checkpoint.

Yes, I realize there are 11ty more details involved...all of which are just a matter of planning.  Which the 9/11 terrorists had plenty of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top