Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2010 11:14:38 PM EDT

oops?

ETA: Now I have to ride my bike down to the former lake tomorrow. I live about a mile and a half from the dam, and about a quarter mile from the lake.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a bit more detail?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I overheard something about this today.

I'm interested to see if it really does take only two weeks for it to refill once the dam is reconstructed.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got a bit more detail?

I heard here
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Just posted this in the hometown thread, but I'll repost it here.

When a rubber bladder pops, does it typically (or EVER) do so with a giant flash of light?
http://www.azcentral.com/video/#/News/Exclusive+Tempe+Town+Lake+dam+blowing+up+video/40280768001/35150280001/207386831001

*link fixed
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

When a rubber bladder pops, does it typically (or EVER) do so with a giant flash of light?

http://www.azcentral.com/video/#/News/Exclusive+Tempe+Town+Lake+dam+blowing+up+video/40280768001/35150280001/207386831001

*link fixed

The thought that came to my mind about that was triboluminescence, where friction or fracture causes things to emit light.

Not sure it's possible or likely in this situation, but I am not an expert.

My money's still on vandalism, given the explosion and light going up to it two minutes prior.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
 BLAMMO???
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I see this as God telling Tempe to make an extension of Lot 59.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Keeping rubber damns past its warranty date is a bad idea anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

building a rubber dam in the first place is a bad idea anywhere.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. I find it funny though, that plans were in place for replacement bladders and permenant dams. All delayed because of budget problems. Hopefully they do it right this time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell your dentist that.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully it becomes an overflow parking lot for Sun Devil Stadium like it was when my dad attended ASU.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Somebody better fix the dam problem!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to live a couple blocks from there off of 5th.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*link fixed

The thought that came to my mind about that was triboluminescence, where friction or fracture causes things to emit light.  

My money's still on vandalism, given the explosion and light going up to it two minutes prior.

That much light?  That was an illegal salute (firecracker with more than 50 milligrams of flash powder).    Bet it was a flash powder pipe bomb.  The rubber will show tears in a star pattern with a pipe bomb, a linear tear if just aging.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell your dentist that.

Just looked on wikipedia... and here I was, thinking that dental dams were only used for.. uh, well you know.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*link fixed

That much light?  That was an illegal salute (firecracker with more than 50 milligrams of flash powder).    Bet it was a flash powder pipe bomb.  The rubber will show tears in a star pattern with a pipe bomb, a linear tear if just aging.

I knew I could draw you in by posting a 17-letter word.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

they gotta do something with all those condoms you guys are using in the dorms.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Somebody better fix the dam problem!

what am i gonna do with all this dam bait?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:46:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*link fixed

So if someone was angry over the immigration law and blew up the damn would that be terrorism or not?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*link fixed

Someone in the HTF thread mentioned that it may have been an IR camera, and it was just picking up the energy released by the "pop" of the dam.  Possible?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they gotta do something with all those condoms you guys are using in the dorms.
Lower the price?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm about to head to campus for work. I'll try and see if I can get a few cell phone pics of the former lake.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Bridgestone huh?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Bridgestone huh?

This takes me back to the repeated tire blow out son  my dad's old truck.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#26]

any fish flopping around?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Should have been concrete or some other type of earth works.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#28]
All the dam fish that got wasted.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Get a metal detector and pull up some of the ditched handguns.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#30]

And yet they say we're in a water-crisis and force us to have "low-flow" toilets.

Tempe Town Lake is the epitome of stupidity - a massive waste of water by gov, at the same time gov tells us to conserve water.

Fuck'em.

I think I'll go water down my driveway now.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Maxwell Smart....that's the second biggest diagram I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://i.azcentral.com/commphotos/view/390694.jpg

oops?

ETA: Now I have to ride my bike down to the former lake tomorrow. I live about a mile and a half from the dam, and about a quarter mile from the lake.

WTF is the giant Cetti like radar dish in the background?

-V

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

oops?

-V

Guidance radar for the mother ship.

Ever hear of the "Phoenix Lights"?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#34]
interesting that there was a flash moving along the damn minutes before it burst, and the flash.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*link fixed

Someone in the HTF thread mentioned that it may have been an IR camera, and it was just picking up the energy released by the "pop" of the dam.  Possible?

How deep was the lake at that point, 16 feet or so?  Just not that much energy in water only 16 feet deep.  Sure, it would knock you down and probably kill you but as far as pressure, only 0.4333 PSI per foot of depth.  Not even 7 PSI.  Pressure is specific energy.

Now the FORCE is great, just because there was a lot of area.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

oops?

-V

Sun Devil Stadium

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oops?

-V

Sun Devil Stadium

Does it pick up good signals from the Seeder Race in space?

Wow...

-V

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#38]
The dam is inflatable because this "lake" is located in one of the major river bottoms in PHX.

If there needs to be water released from the mountain lakes upstream, the water has to be able to flow down river past PHX to
the southwest.

Normally there is no other water in the "river" except for the Tempe Town Lake with was designed to be a tourist attraction.

And yes, rubber bladders being bombarded by UV has a finite life.

We drove past it yesterday and no bodies on the bottom.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#39]
It was a bad idea then and replacing it with another rubber raft is a dumb idea now. I figured that whoever's pockets had to be filled with that stupid project would be long gone by now.
Either use concrete or leave it be.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Here are some photos I took from the shore of Tempe Town Mud Bog.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And yet they say we're in a water-crisis and force us to have "low-flow" toilets.

Tempe Town Lake is the epitome of stupidity - a massive waste of water by gov, at the same time gov tells us to conserve water.

Fuck'em.

ITs not stupid. go down there during the summer time and you will get to see a bunch of 19 y/o college girls in bikinis. Totally worth it IMO
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck'em.

ITs not stupid. go down there during the summer time and you will get to see a bunch of 19 y/o college girls in bikinis. Totally worth it IMO

You will also see the same thing on campus, or in the Mill Avenue business district. And those two places don't require expensive rubbers, only cheap ones.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck'em.

You will also see the same thing on campus, or in the Mill Avenue business district. And those two places don't require expensive rubbers, only cheap ones.

I very rarely see bikinis on campus. Even on mill I dont see bikinis. However, Mill Ave. on Halloween is a gift from god.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I broke the dam
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I was living in AZ when they filled this idiotic scheme. IIRC, they were even talking about putting TROUT in it.

When I moved back to MO, the thing was leaking like a sieve.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#46]
When I saw the title, I thought this was a joke, and the OP had randomly selected "rubber" over "aluminum foil," "felt," and "brown paper bag."

Truth is dumber than fiction.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#47]
looks like good solid engineering there boys
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck'em.

Go lurking around Terrace, 8th or Lemon street apartments the first month of school and you'll get plenty of views of that. Especially around the apartment pools.

But bring a clipboard and voltmeter so you don't raise as much suspicion lurking around bushes in the pool area.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck'em.

Go lurking around Terrace, 8th or Lemon street apartments the first month of school and you'll get plenty of views of that. Especially around the apartment pools.

But bring a clipboard and voltmeter so you don't raise as much suspicion lurking around bushes in the pool area.

The area around Terrace and Lemon is Little India.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck'em.

The area around Terrace and Lemon is Little India.

Yeah but facing Rural along Terrace are the apartments in that area.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top