Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 10:27:34 AM EDT

Anybody here wearing them?...So far I've been told that progressive is way better than lined bifocals.I asked the doc how it was going to affect my pistol shooting ..he said it was "going to be tricky" because the top of the lens will be set for long distance vision..Progressives cost a lot more than my insurance will cover so I'm hoping to get this right the first time
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have them

The first week is a lil weird until you get
used to them then you don't even notice

It is great to be able to read easy
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Progressives are better, but if you can't afford 'em, you can't afford 'em.
Shooting is harder.  Can't get your front sight in focus unless you lean your head back so you are looking through the bottom of the lens.  Normally when you shoot, you are looking through the top part of your glasses.

Tip:  For just shooting at the range, go to Walgreen's or CVS to the eyeglasses section, and buy some flexible plastic press-on bifocal lenses.  They're really cheap.  Put the lens at the top of your glasses, upside down, so that you can keep your head down and still focus on the front sight.  That won't help for self-defense, because you aren't going to walk around with a bifocal lens at the top of your glasses (you wouldn't be able to drive, for one thing).  It won't help correct an astigmatism.  However, if you are shooting off a bench, trying to get your iron sights dialed in, or trying to shoot a small group with a pistol, the press-on lenses are a big help.  I keep a pair in my shooting bag.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Not yet.   Hope they work out for you gramps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I wear contacts cause I'm basically blind -9 diopters of correction
I wear cheap "readers" 3 pair for $12 at the gunshow
I have them laying around everywhere
I do have a pair of glases with bifocals, but I avoid having to wear them like the plague
Pistol shooting is more difficult now––I can't really focus on the front sight well.  Glad I had the fundamentals down before this happened
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I had progressives for awhile, but it gave me headaches because the section for up close reading was too small, and I was constantly hunting for the sweet spot so that I can read it. I finally had to "man up" and admit that I am getting old and just get the regular bifocals. Worked out way better because the section for reading up close is huge compared to my progressives, which was probably like an eighth of an inch, and to boot it was cheaper.

You gotta accept that you are no spring chicken, in this case teenager.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#7]
tried bifocals and hated them. been using progressives for years. Took a few days to get adjusted to them. I do have to tilt my head back a little when shooting a pistol.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#8]
That's what you get for jacking off with both hands.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have them

The first week is a lil weird until you get

used to them then you don't even notice

It is great to be able to read easy

First response, etc.

I didn't realize how much I used mine until I put on a pair of the old, non-bifocal glasses I used to wear.  I couldn't read a thing with them on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like the progressives better.  It does take a little practice to find the right spot for reading, but you'll quickly adjust.

Shooting with bifocals was a pain.

Now I'm using tri-focals, (No gramps jokes you young whippersnappers) and it's really interesting.  
And get the fuck off my lawn.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I tried progressives and they drove me crazy. Now I'm wearing bi-focals.

What continues to bother me is having to cock my head back to look at close up stuff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got a pair.  As mentioned, it takes about a week to get used to them.

Fortunately, there are also multi-focal contact lenses.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Been wearing progressives full time for about four years.  This will be the first trip to Perry with them.  It will be interesting, I'm sure.  Never wore anything but progressives.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Hated progressives - way too much distortion in the areas that are neither lens. As for shooting, and working overhead, check with an optician about "Mechanics cut", where the readers are on top - or top AND bottom.  Also possible is just a small area in the upper corner of only one lens, specifically to focus on the front sight. Go with what works. :)
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Same Boat here....

I got the Rx for the Bifocals...and got single vision under the insurance.   Then I ordered from Zenni Optical for a pair of Progressive Bifocals.    I don't wear them enough to get used to them....but they definitely make reading easier.       Next time around, I'll get progressives under the insurance.

The Bifocals from Zenni were cheap....I think a pair of them were well under $50 for Memory Metal frames, anti-reflection coating and progressive lenses.    

A good way to test the waters.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]
was told I needed them a year or two ago. tried them and I hated them!!! even tried contacts and that was a no go either.

finally just went cheap and got some reading glasses at Wal-Mart. I have two different pair and it works out fine for me
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Go to a good eyeglass place and have them do the exam and buy the glasses at the same place, that way if your glasses aren't right they should make it right. I had to get glasses about 7 years ago and went straight to bifocals. I got my eye exam at one place and took the prescription to a el cheapo eyeglass place and got progressives and they never were right, gave me headaches and had a hard time finding the right spot in them that I could see well enough to read with them so I didn't wear them much.

When I decided it was time for my next pair of glasses  I asked around to see which place was good to go to and ended up going to a place that costs more and got the exam and glasses from them and the difference was like day and night. I got progressives again and wear them all the time now, I don't get headaches, can read really good with them and it only took a day or two to get used to them.

Glasses are like just about everything else, you get what you pay for................  buy once cry once.

ETA: seems like I might be in the minority but I don't have much trouble shooting with them either, they work great for hand gun shooting, rifles with iron sights or scopes aren't bad either the only thing is on red dot scopes the dot is a little oblong instead of perfectly round.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Tried progressives for a year or so and didn't like them.  The part you read tru is small and I found myself moving my head from side to side to read the newspaper.

Finally said screw it and had PRK to correct my distance vision and just use cheap readers for close up work.  Best money ever spent.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Welcome to Geezerville.

45 next month...between this and the prostate checks it seems like the endless parade of the suck is just starting

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to Geezerville.

45 next month...between this and the prostate checks it seems like the endless parade of the suck is just starting

wait'll they have you goin' in for a colonoscopy on steady basis!  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Why not just get reading glasses and switch when you need to... or will that not work for you.

I know I'm probably going to need them soon... last time I went to the eye doc my eyes got better... (eye doc said that's normal... they usually get a bit better right before people need bifocals)... and I'm now kind of in between prescriptions... it's driving me nuts not being able to see far and near.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm nearsighted so when I need to read something and I'm wearing prescription glasses I just take the glasses off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Progressive bifocals are just about useless.  Lined bifocals give a much larger usable field of view.

You should need about 10 feet of walking to get accustomed to them.  When the doc writes the script, tell him you want the reading lens set for the distance where you hold something while you are reading.  Show him.

yup, this is where I am

progressive lenses pissed me off more than a self-refudiating Obamanite
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hated progressives - way too much distortion in the areas that are neither lens. As for shooting, and working overhead, check with an optician about , "Mechanics cut" where the readers are on top - or top AND bottom. Also possible is just a small area in the upper corner of only one lens, specifically to focus on the front sight. Go with what works. :)
I've got a spare pair of the part in red, they're great for overhead work, but as I wear trifocals - it's four separate focal areas on a lens - they don't do this package in progressive.  

The part in green sounds interesting.  I've been to 4 different lens guys, not mall kiosk type places, and nobody I've found so far knows squat about corrective lenses for shooting.  The worst part is shooting with a scope while wearing trifocals (the normal progressive kind, not the mechanics type mentioned above) and trying to maintain a cheek-weld AND dealing with eye relief.  I find myself trying to look through the little tiny 1/4"x1/4" area right along side my nose, where there's no magnification/correction.  I've been trying to shoot with no glasses while using optics, and thats a whole different sight in issue.

Thanks for the heads up.  Not a single lens doc or lens grinder I've spoken to yet has even hinted at the info you gave.

One other thing about the lack of love for progressives.  They make the usable 'window', the width of the prescription area you read through, in different sizes.  The cheap ones are the most narrow, causing you to swing your head from side to side.  The more expensive ones are wider - less swinging involved.  Some places automatically sell you the more expensive ones, other places sell you the cheap ones unless you ask to 'upgrade'.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I had bifocals for a little while while I was a teenager. Then refused to be a uber nerd and never wore them again. I had lasik done around 1.5 years ago greatest thing ever to happen to me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Progressives here.Bi-focals were a.................. humbling, life changing expereince for me. Only advice I can offer is; volume of fire is your friend.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I couldn't stand progressives, had to go with old fashioned lined ones, I like being able to move only my eyes to see to the sides esp at night, I look for movement when I'm hunting and it's easier for me to use my peripheral vision.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been wearing bifocals for 47 years.I've tried everything there is,I think. I did NOT like the progressive lenses.
As far as pistol shooting...you'll need some lenses that allow you to focus at arm's length.....e.g., on the SIGHTS.
My optometrist let me bring in my  pistol and he had a set of lenses made that focused on the sights...worked pretty darn good but were pretty useless for anything else..
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I have for the last 6 years and shooting a pistol is not that hard with bifocals
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I tried progressives and they drove me crazy.

They made me physically ill.  I could not get used the Fun House distortion effect.  

Additionally, trying to shoot through a scope with progressives was trying to line up three soda straws.  

I have tri-focals.  Top range is infinity  - as in what a scope is normally focused for.  Middle is about 20 inches for menus and stuff.  And the bottom lets me get in about three inches away.  My co-workers joke about my bionic vision,  but they are always asking my to read some tiny little part number on a circuit board.  

As far as shooting pistol, I've just gotten used to lining up the fuzzy blob in the middle between the two rear fuzzy blobs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I prefer the lined bifocals, buy a shotgun and shoot from the hip.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Law school made me need glasses. Bifocals probably aren't too far off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been wearing progressive bifocals for about 10 years now.  I had no trouble getting used to them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I have progressives, I don't think regular bifocals will work for me. I've heard there is a website where you can get good glasses at a big discount. I'll try to find the link.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I wear progressives and prefer them to contacts.  Still, I wear contacts for sking, boating, raquetball, etc as glasses just suck for those type activities.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#41]
You are getting old.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have progressives, I don't think regular bifocals will work for me. I've heard there is a website where you can get good glasses at a big discount. I'll try to find the link.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I tried 3 different kinds of progressive lenses.  Never could accept seeing the whole world move and swim.

Lined bifocals for me.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I tried 3 different kinds of progressive lenses.  Never could accept seeing the whole world move and swim.

Lined bifocals for me.  

This!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been wearing progressives for probably six or seven years now. They work fine for everything except stuff that's really close then I end up looking over the top anyway. If I'm reading a book I usually take my glasses off and just hold it close enough to read. I've worn glasses since I was about ten and have always done this.

Bifocals didn't really make a lot difference in shooting for me. It did take a bit of getting used to looking at things with the progressives. Now its just habit to move my head to get things in focus.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#46]
If you never want pie again get the lined bi-focals otherwise get the progressives.  I have no insurance and got 2 pair at Costco.  I progressive and one pair of single vision for shooting.  The total cost was around $300.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#47]
You didn't see it coming?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I have lined bifocals for about a year.  It takes a lot of getting use too.  You can’t just look down at something through the lower lens like with single lens, they are focused for a specific distance.  You have to move your head.  Next time I glasses it will be two different pair.  The wife just started wearing them about two months ago she love them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Progressives suck. Stay away. In my case, they had an extremely small field of view at intermediate distance (computer monitor viewing distance for me). I could not see the entire computer monitor without moving my head left/right, up/down.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Progressives suck. Stay away. In my case, they had an extremely small field of view at intermediate distance (computer monitor viewing distance for me). I could not see the entire computer monitor without moving my head left/right, up/down.

From my response above yours a bit:

One other thing about the lack of love for progressives.  They make the
usable 'window', the width of the prescription area you read through, in
different sizes.  The cheap ones are the most narrow, causing you to
swing your head from side to side.  The more expensive ones are wider -
less swinging involved.  Some places automatically sell you the more
expensive ones, other places sell you the cheap ones unless you ask to
'upgrade'.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top