Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/18/2010 8:48:24 PM EDT
NSA already monitors everything, now DHS getting in on the action...makes you wonder how many analysts they have reading ARFCOM daily...

Napolitano: Internet Monitoring Needed to Fight Homegrown Terrorism

Jun 18, 2010 6:18 PM EDT

WASHINGTON –– Fighting homegrown terrorism by monitoring Internet communications is a civil liberties trade-off the U.S. government must make to beef up national security, the nation's homeland security chief said Friday.

As terrorists increasingly recruit U.S. citizens, the government needs to constantly balance Americans' civil rights and privacy with the need to keep people safe, said Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.

But finding that balance has become more complex as homegrown terrorists have used the Internet to reach out to extremists abroad for inspiration and training. Those contacts have spurred a recent rash of U.S.-based terror plots and incidents.

"The First Amendment protects radical opinions, but we need the legal tools to do things like monitor the recruitment of terrorists via the Internet," Napolitano told a gathering of the American Constitution Society for Law and Policy.

Napolitano's comments suggest an effort by the Obama administration to reach out to its more liberal, Democratic constituencies to assuage fears that terrorist worries will lead to the erosion of civil rights.

The administration has faced a number of civil liberties and privacy challenges in recent months as it has tried to increase airport security by adding full-body scanners, or track suspected terrorists traveling into the United States from other countries.

"Her speech is sign of the maturing of the administration on this issue," said Stewart Baker, former undersecretary for policy with the Department of Homeland Security. "They now appreciate the risks and the trade-offs much more clearly than when they first arrived, and to their credit, they've adjusted their preconceptions."

Underscoring her comments are a number of recent terror attacks over the past year where legal U.S. residents such as Times Square bombing suspect Faisal Shahzad and accused Fort Hood, Texas, shooter Maj. Nidal Hasan, are believed to have been inspired by the Internet postings of violent Islamic extremists.

And the fact that these are U.S. citizens or legal residents raises many legal and constitutional questions.

Napolitano said it is wrong to believe that if security is embraced, liberty is sacrificed.

She added, "We can significantly advance security without having a deleterious impact on individual rights in most instances. At the same time, there are situations where trade-offs are inevitable."

As an example, she noted the struggle to use full-body scanners at airports caused worries that they would invade people's privacy.

The scanners are useful in identifying explosives or other nonmetal weapons that ordinary metal-detectors might miss –– such as the explosives that authorities said were successfully brought on board the Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day by Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab. He is accused of trying to detonate a bomb hidden in his underwear, but the explosives failed, and only burned Abdulmutallab.

U.S. officials, said Napolitano, have worked to institute a number of restrictions on the scanners' use in order to minimize that. The scans cannot be saved or stored on the machines by the operator, and Transportation Security Agency workers can't have phones or cameras that could capture the scan when near the machine.

Source

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
More proof she's in wayyyy over her head.

Bitch is looking in all the wrong places for all the wrong signs.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the job I want.  Read Arfcom and get paid for it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, if she has her way, the next ARFCOM meet and greet will be in lockup
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's the job I want.  Read Arfcom and get paid for it.

No kidding...
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]

im still in the "how did this whatever become head of the DHS" phase.

so i can't really comment

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]
FUBO, and FU you leftist DHS-running moonbat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Somehow I get the feeling they don't mean pakistani and yemeni muslim jihad web sites and chat rooms
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

im still in the "how did this whatever become head of the DHS" phase.

so i can't really comment

Yeah, it is rather hard to believe, but then you look at who is the head of the Justice department and in the White House, and it gets even worse.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I been inspired by internet posting to never vote to re-elect an incumbent,shun  liberals and democrats like the Amish do those who have sinned and vote Republican for the rest of my life and buy a page in the newspaper when obanger gets tossed out on his ear when he runs for re-election in celebration. He does not know it yet but the silent voters in this country have already decided to do that and just waiting for the election to cast the votes.There will be way too many to try and cheat a count on also
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Im glad Obama took that dude out of our state.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
FUCK OBAMA

FUCK NAPOLITANO

FUCK PELOSI

FUCK DHS

FUCK FBI

FUCK THE FEDS

think they caught that?
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
BOMB.
DYNAMITE.
KILL.
IED.
NUKE.
EXPLOSIVE.

What other key words can I use?

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

BOMB.

DYNAMITE.

KILL.

IED.

NUKE.

EXPLOSIVE.

POTUS?

/crap.

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Napolitano: Internet Monitoring Needed to Fight Homegrown Terrorism

She added, "We can significantly advance security without having a deleterious impact on individual rights in most instances. At the same time, there are situations where trade-offs are inevitable."

Uh, lady, you don't get to impact individual rights.  You see, they are rights.  Maybe you are impacting expected liberties, but you don't get "inevitable trade-offs" with rights...  otherwise those rights only exist at the convenience of law enforcement, which makes them not a right.

Queue Pelosi "Are you kidding?" response to constitutionality question...  this entire administration is nauseating.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Hi monitors.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BOMB.
DYNAMITE.
KILL.
IED.
NUKE.
EXPLOSIVE.

Don't forget the blasting caps, fertilizer, and diesel fuel.  Oh, and gasoline and styrofoam.  Hell, throw in some Drano and aluminum foil too, for dramatic effect.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#19]
sounds like the government is in the business of defending itself not protecting the people.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#20]
They don't need a new law in order to investigate a crime.  They do need a new law in order to monitor traffic for no reason.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BOMB.
DYNAMITE.
KILL.
IED.
NUKE.
EXPLOSIVE.

Don't forget the blasting caps, fertilizer, and diesel fuel.  Oh, and gasoline and styrofoam.  Hell, throw in some Drano and aluminum foil too, for dramatic effect.

Fornicate the mohammedin worship based religion?

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#23]
No where in the Constitution does it say freedom must be balanced with________________ ( fill in the blank )

You / we are either free or we are not.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
sounds like the government is in the business of defending itself not protecting the people.

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the government were destroyed, who would oppress the survivors?

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
FUCK OBAMA
FUCK NAPOLITANO
FUCK PELOSI
FUCK DHS
FUCK FBI
FUCK THE FEDS

think they caught that?

& Fuck the assclowns here at ar15.com who will vote democrat in midterm election .
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

YEP

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#28]
theres no manpower to deport a van load of illegals, but somehow there will be plenty of resources on hand to battle the internet commando threat.

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the government were destroyed, who would oppress the survivors?

Zombies

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Janet, I say this with all the respect due to someone of your authority and position in American government: Your life would be worth more to America if you resigned immediately and started prostituting yourself in a DC Greyhound station.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#31]
It is clearly written out in US history and in documents what to do in the situation that this nation finds itself in.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Define "terrorist".

My problem with this is that they probably consider any true freedom loving American citizen to have "terrorist" tendencies.  To the British, the revolting colonists probably met our current governments definition of "terrorist".

I guess that places me in good company, but in bad standing with our liberal control-freak government.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Step 1:

Step 2:  

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#34]
so which one of us will be the first to get the .gov knocking at the door? we should have a pool.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know if anyone's said this yet, but if the Bush administration was doing this the leftists would be having a fit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
theres no manpower to deport a van load of illegals, but somehow there will be plenty of resources on hand to battle the internet commando threat.

That there is one of them paradoxes ain't it?

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
so which one of us will be the first to get the .gov knocking at the door? we should have a pool.

Dave_A.  But they'll be recruiting him to help, not arresting him.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I hope she realizes which groups just want to be left alone and which groups fly airplanes into buildings to satisfy some savage medieval religious spiritual treasure hunt for a plethora of pussy in the afterlife.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I hope she realizes which groups just want to be left alone and which groups fly airplanes into buildings to satisfy some savage medieval religious spiritual treasure hunt for a plethora of pussy in the afterlife.

I'm pretty sure they know.  It's just that they don't see much difference between the two.  To a liberal, a Constitutionalist is just as dangerous as an Islamist.  Possibly more so.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Hooty hoo.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#42]
<––––––––––––––––––––––––––Psst...Janet....DU is thata way. Plenty of seditious fucks over there to get your man panties in a wad about.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#43]
In other news...  Water is still wet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#44]
What do you mean START monitoring...?

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#45]
After the strange occurrences on arfcom just after the Fort Hood attack, I'd say it's pretty obvious which web sites are in Napolitano's cross hairs.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
After the strange occurrences on arfcom just after the Fort Hood attack, I'd say it's pretty obvious which web sites are in Napolitano's cross hairs.

What happened?
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Hmmm...care to elaborate for those of us that missed it?

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nail, meet hammer.

This Kenyan administration has spent it's time completely avoiding the 800 pound gorilla in the room: Islamic Jihad.

And yet you may rest assured their focus is upon no such enemy - it is, and will remain, focused upon those right-wing nutjobs with guns and Gadsden flags.

Like me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A few more Five-SeveNs were sold?
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm...care to elaborate for those of us that missed it?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top