Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2010 6:57:18 AM EDT
Despite a documented history of being a metalhead, I grew up in SE TX and watched Hee Haw and listened to old school country music when I was young.  I watched in fascination while Roy Clark picked a guitar and made it sing like I'd never seen.  Left an indelible impression on me and he's always been a hero of mine.  Well, tonight I get to see him in Linton, IN at a deal he does every year.  I'm pretty excited.  Will give an AAR if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't remember, was he a pickin' or a grinnin'?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty cool.

Hee Haw was a great show-I still have some Buck Owens 8 tracks I listen to.Time flies.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Roy was both Pickin' and Grinnin' !!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw him at the airport about four years ago and he looked frail but was cracking jokes and having a great time with the people talking to him.  

I also saw him sing the national anthem at an airshow and what really struck me as odd was, he had another guy playing the guitar for him.  I don't know if his hands were injured or what but he just sang while another guy played the guitar part.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Always liked the guy; my Dad had an album of his way back when. Helluva musician, and I've never read anything ill of the guy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't know he was still doing shows.

I saw him about 20 years ago, not really knowing much about him other than Hee-Haw which was barely being run in syndication, it was already so old.

I left that show with a new found respect for people who are truly professional for what they can do without electronics and sight distractions. It was awesome!
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Roy Clark is an American Legend..............
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Arguably one of the greatest guitar players EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly.. I assumed he died years ago.. glad to see he is still performing..

brian
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep! I have the CD with him and Mark Knopfler playing together. Both great guitarists
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember his banjo playing most of all, but the dude could play anything with strings.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
There's a rumor circulating that Roy can also play the banjo.

REALLY play the banjo.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#15]
It should be a great show.  Enjoy and let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I grew up watching Hee Haw and am a Roy Clark fan.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Buddy of mine saw him last year at a smallish venue.  He said he was amazing...
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEY4LxORCeo

When I Was Young...................Great song
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow!  As a kid my folks and grandparents always watched "He Haw", even though none of them were country and western fans.  I watched it too just to watch the cartoon pigs.  I just spent about the past 20 minutes watching Roy Clark videos on youtube.  Damn, he's one talented man!  Too bad I was too  young to appreciate his talent!  This appearance on the "Odd Couple" is pretty impressive.  A blending of two shows that I watched or had on in the background as a kid.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome performer and a true virtuoso

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I liked him.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow!  As a kid my folks and grandparents always watched "He Haw", even though none of them were country and western fans.  I watched it too just to watch the cartoon pigs.  I just spent about the past 20 minutes watching Roy Clark videos on youtube.  Damn, he's one talented man!  Too bad I was too  young to appreciate his talent!  This appearance on the "Odd Couple" is pretty impressive.  A blending of two shows that I watched or had on in the background as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqnU83wPmfc&feature=related

Holy Crap! Malaguena on guitar!

Fucking AWESOME!
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw Roy Clark & Gatemouth Brown play a small club in the early to mid 80's.After the show, I through my guitar in a dumpster on the way home. Have not picked one up since.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I saw Roy Clark & Gatemouth Brown play a small club in the early to mid 80's.After the show, I through my guitar in a dumpster on the way home. Have not picked one up since.

Wow - Clarence and Roy on the same bill?  Yeah, that would make a guy give up all hope.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#26]
If you catch some "Beverly Hillbillies" reruns, he's in about 2 episodes & he does a bit of playing. Earl Scruggs of "Flatt & Scruggs" fame also appeared on that show & picked something fierce.  

Many people like me don't care for country music but always stop & watch when people like Roy Clark play. Hee Haw had the "Million Dollar Band" as a house ban. It had Boots Randolph on sax, Floyd Cramer on piano, Roy Clark on anything he wanted to play & someone else, I can't recall. But man, let tell you, their jam sessions rivaled anything smoking from about anyone you could name.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I remember his banjo playing most of all, but the dude could play anything with strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k0uPCTChpg  

Good stuff.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh HELL YEAH!  I'd love to.  And I like your avatar.  Have met Jello a few times and skated with Darren Pelligro way back when.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#29]
He was pretty funny in the movie, Up Hill All the Way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Roy Clark has always been one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

was that the western comedy with Mel Tillis?
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I watch Hee Haw reruns on occasion. Best part is buck and Roy playing together.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it came out sometime in the mid 80s.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it came out sometime in the mid 80s.

"piss on the fire and call in the dogs this hunt is officially over"  I saw the movie years ago and never could think of the name. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow!  I watched him for years when I was a kid............I had no idea how good he truely is.

Enjoy the show!
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#36]
He's a helluva guy, a few years back he cam up to Kansas to quail hunt at the place I've deer hunted for years.  He was great, played a little guitar for them one evening and everyone still talks about how nice he was.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I watch Hee Haw reruns on occasion. Best part is buck and Roy playing together.

My TIVO found old Hee Haw reruns on RFD TV. That brings back memories of my childhood.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#38]
LOL! Used to watch HEE-HAW with my Uncle, forgot about the dancing pigs!
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Honestly.. I assumed he died years ago.. glad to see he is still performing..

brian

Yeah,no shit!
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My TIVO found old Hee Haw reruns on RFD TV. That brings back memories of my childhood.

RFD TV is what I have watched it on also.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#41]
One of the greatest MUSICIANS ever.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep! I have the CD with him and Mark Knopfler playing together. Both great guitarists

Scrub,

Would you please check that CD?  As far as I know, Knopfler & Clark never recorded an album together...
but Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins did––it's called Neck & Neck, and is a great album.

I have a pretty good Knopfler collection, & if he & Roy Clark recorded an album, I want to find a copy!

Thanks.

David

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Badass.

He's the last of a dead breed, not just dyin.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And not very shabby on the mandolin.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I love me some Roy Clark.  And Buck R.I.P.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I thought for sure someone would post:  Thank God and Greyhound She's Gone.      That Yesterday When I was Young is probably his signature song.  I used to watch Hee Haw and all of the spinoofs, Hee Haw Honeys, Hee Haw Honky Tonk ( I used to hang out in the bar where they filmed that one, The Devils Den on Broadway and about 2d Ave.  Oh the good old days, Yesterday When I was Young!  Thanks Roy!
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#47]
The event was a scholarship fund benefit for the the Linton, IN high school.  They do this every year and this is Roy's 17th year.  It was held in the school gym and they had a few singers, several songwriters singing their stuff, a dixieland jazz band whose leader is from the town, and Roy and his band.

He was very frail indeed and was not as fast nor as crisp on the fingerboard.  He came out to a nice instrumental and he really got in to it.  He then did "When I was Young".  His voice is nothing like it used to be and I could barely hear him at times.  (The sound guys weren't really with it.)  He then introduced a lady I had never heard of and he sang a duet with her.  She then got to sing 3 songs and he came back out and played a couple more.  He ended the show with everyone coming out and singing "May the Circle Be Unbroken".

He knew he was old and frail and made jokes about it and still loves to perform.  He was very classy and I count myself lucky to have seen him live.
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#48]
He lived for several years in the Oklahoma town where I grew up, though I don't think he's originally from here...but you used to see him around town like anyone else and he was just as nice and polite as the average joe on the street.

Have fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top