Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2010 5:03:51 AM EDT

I caught my breath for a moment before I realized what it was. I had to get him before he ate it, when he realized it was a snake.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Mmm.  Delicious king snake!
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Red on black, good for Jack.

Red on yellow, your a dead fellow.

Did I get that right?
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Red against black, friend of Jack. Red against yellow will kill a fellow.

King snakes are awesome. Good find by your toddler!
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:07:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I forget the rhyme. Is it the poisonous one?

ETA nvm haha
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll be the first snake.

Yes I know it's a good snake, but I don't care. Get it away from me cause I'm a scared little bitch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#6]
You left out the part in your story where you scream like a little girl.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll be the first snake.

Yes I know it's a good snake, but I don't care. Get it away from me cause I'm a scared little bitch.

Sadly, I must echo this comment.

ALWAYS hated snakes, always will.  If phobias were rational, they wouldn't be phobias.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I had one of those for a pet a long time ago.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats awesome. Kids are great!

He is still a little young, but please explain to him the importance of caution and respect for snakes.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#10]

I'm missing the part where your kid now knows NEVER to touch a snake, and to come get you if he finds one again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm missing the part where your kid now knows NEVER to touch a snake, and to come get you if he finds one again.

I left out the part where I beat him with the snake to teach him to fear them.

Child Services monitors this board.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#12]
There are only 2 types of snakes in my world, dead ones and them that are about to be dead.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:32:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Ahhh...good old Mr. No Shoulders...a cool one at that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

reminds me of lobster rage fist for some reason

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
. Get it away from me cause I'm a scared little bitch

Thats sig line material

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Those make great pets,  really mellow.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Seeing as we are slap out of Coral Snake Antivenin in most of the country, that could have been quite a scare until you figured it out....
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are only 2 types of snakes in my world, dead ones and them that are about to be dead.

There are only 2 venomous snakes in Wisconsin and both of them are rattlers.If the snake isn't a rattlesnake,you shouldn't act,as my brother says,"like a Democrat".

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Red and yellow, kill a fellow.
Red and black, get back jack.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Seeing as we are slap out of Coral Snake Antivenin in most of the country, that could have been quite a scare until you figured it out....

I actually caught a coral snake here a few years back, so I did have a start at first glance.  This guys "rings" don't go all the way around and has a red mask.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice Scarlet. I had one in my back yard a few weeks ago.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#24]
good thing it wasn't one of these...
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#25]
When I was a very young kid my dad would bring home rubber snakes to scare the wits out of my mom.  Y'know, coiling them up in the laundry hamper, putting them along baseboards, that sort of thing.  Anyhoo, I had never seen an actual snake and pretty much considered them harmless playthings.  It was never told to me that they were actually dangerous and should be avoided.

When I was 4 or so, we were putting in a below ground swimming pool.  When all the workmen had left I was playing around the patio and the piles of red clay (this was in Stone Mountain, Georgia).  I saw one of these snakes, a small, slender black one, coiled up on the ground.  I reached down to pick it up and it reared back.  Wow, I'd never seen one of dad's toys move before!  I reached down again, trying to grab it's head and it reared back, hissing at me.  I could clearly see how the inside of its mouth was completely white and had these sharp fangs.  I tried to grab it again, but it reared back even further, hissing some more.

Perplexed, I went inside to the kitchen and told my mom, "Mom, there's a snake outside and it's talking to me."  She replied with, "Don't tell lies, snakes don't talk!"  I insisted it was talking to me and a little argument ensued.  My dad, hearing this walks in and says, "What did the snake say?"  I said, "Ssssssssss..."  

I remember both of my parents getting a shocked look on their faces and rushing outside.  I got out there as my dad grabbed a shovel and proceeded to stab down at this Cottonmouth and try to kill it.  It kept thrashing around, trying to strike, as his shovel blade barely missed it or nicked it.  I hid behind my moms legs and saw the dried clay get whipped into clouds by the swirling, coiling body of the snake as it fought. It moved so fast! Dad stabbed and stabbed and gashed at it before finally delivering a killing blow right behind the head.  

The Lord looks out for fools and small children.

When I was trying to pick it up, I think the Cottonmouth was basically saying, "Kid, hellooooo!  I'm a snake here, back off!"  I don't know why it never bit me.  Lord knows it could have, several times over.  It spared my life according to some alien reptilian logic that I'll never understand.

After that I was thoroughly instructed by my dad about the dangers of snakes.  I don't recall ever being really scared of snakes, but when I meet them in the wild my heart rate does pick up a bit, maybe from a pinch of fear, maybe from simple fascination.  We ran across a copperhead while hiking with our dogs last month.  It crossed the path right in front of my girlfriend, coming within inches of her and a dog.  My GF was completely rattled, me and the dogs were just curious, though we kept our distance.  She wasn't too happy when I told them that it was probably mating season and they usually travel in pairs.  

Anyway, coolish story brothah, and all that rot.

eta - Post 303.  "I'll tell you what rule we applied, Sir. We
applied rule  303. We caught them... and we shot them under
rule 3-0-3!"

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#26]

What the tiny thumbnail snake?  

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#28]
A beautiful and harmless one.

I dont understand why you women are so afraid of a harmless snake.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Red and yellow, kill a fellow.

Red and black, get back jack.

Red/Yellow, kill a fellow.

Red/Black, venom lack.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#30]
my poem for snakes venom is much simpler

snake, get the fuck away
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Red on black, give it back.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Mail it to the Red and Black Cafe in Portland OR.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Fun fact: Puritan settlers almost hunted this type of snake to extinction in some areas because they beleived it sucked all the milk out of their cows. That's how it got the nickname "milksnake" in some locations.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

snake, get the fuck away

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#35]
That kid's gonna be a Ranger

Quoted:

snake, get the fuck away

yep

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Red/Yellow, kill a fellow.
Red/Black, venom lack.

That's the way I always heard it.

Awesome snake BTW.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

When I was a very young kid my dad would bring home rubber snakes to scare the wits out of my mom.  Y'know, coiling them up in the laundry hamper, putting them along baseboards, that sort of thing.  Anyhoo, I had never seen an actual snake and pretty much considered them harmless playthings.  It was never told to me that they were actually dangerous and should be avoided.

When I was 4 or so, we were putting in a below ground swimming pool.  When all the workmen had left I was playing around the patio and the piles of red clay (this was in Stone Mountain, Georgia).  I saw one of these snakes, a small, slender black one, coiled up on the ground.  I reached down to pick it up and it reared back.  Wow, I'd never seen one of dad's toys move before!  I reached down again, trying to grab it's head and it reared back, hissing at me.  I could clearly see how the inside of its mouth was completely white and had these sharp fangs.  I tried to grab it again, but it reared back even further, hissing some more.

Perplexed, I went inside to the kitchen and told my mom, "Mom, there's a snake outside and it's talking to me."  She replied with, "Don't tell lies, snakes don't talk!"  I insisted it was talking to me and a little argument ensued.  My dad, hearing this walks in and says, "What did the snake say?"  I said, "Ssssssssss..."  

I remember both of my parents getting a shocked look on their faces and rushing outside.  I got out there as my dad grabbed a shovel and proceeded to stab down at this Cottonmouth and try to kill it.  It kept thrashing around, trying to strike, as his shovel blade barely missed it or nicked it.  I hid behind my moms legs and saw the dried clay get whipped into clouds by the swirling, coiling body of the snake as it fought. It moved so fast! Dad stabbed and stabbed and gashed at it before finally delivering a killing blow right behind the head.  

The Lord looks out for fools and small children.

When I was trying to pick it up, I think the Cottonmouth was basically saying, "Kid, hellooooo!  I'm a snake here, back off!"  I don't know why it never bit me.  Lord knows it could have, several times over.  It spared my life according to some alien reptilian logic that I'll never understand.

After that I was thoroughly instructed by my dad about the dangers of snakes.  I don't recall ever being really scared of snakes, but when I meet them in the wild my heart rate does pick up a bit, maybe from a pinch of fear, maybe from simple fascination.  We ran across a copperhead while hiking with our dogs last month.  It crossed the path right in front of my girlfriend, coming within inches of her and a dog.  My GF was completely rattled, me and the dogs were just curious, though we kept our distance.  She wasn't too happy when I told them that it was probably mating season and they usually travel in pairs.  

Anyway, coolish story brothah, and all that rot.

eta - Post 303.  "I'll tell you what rule we applied, Sir. We applied rule  303. We caught them... and we shot them under rule 3-0-3!"  

it didnt want to waste venom on what it couldnt eat.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Red on black, good for Jack.

Red on yellow, your a dead fellow.

Did I get that right?
Problem is with that saying, many times folks get it wrong and get bit.

Just remember a stop light. Yellow , Red - Stop.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

iirc coral snakes are pretty rare in the SE usa. even then they need to chew on you a bit before they can get the venom in. they don't have fangs like other species. you actually have to try to be bitten by one.

They have fixed frontal fangs and  dont need to chew at all. Few years back a guy got bit an it was a fast strike and he got plenty of venom. Maybe not as fast as a rattler but it certainly didnt need to chew.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#40]
ive gotten a few of them up here in my garage b/c it get so hot in there.  freaked me out until i researched the color and found it was harlmess.  

my dog loves them though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top