Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2010 1:00:13 PM EDT
So my family and friends have been in an on going argument for the last week as to how you refer to a Sunday.  Today is Thursday (6/3), and someone says next Sunday, what date is he/she referring to?  6/6 or 6/13?  Is "next Sunday" the same as saying "this coming Sunday"? Which day of the week does the week start on?  Sunday or Monday?

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Next Sunday would be the one after this one coming up. For me anyways...

Eg. Not this Sunday, but next Sunday.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be the one after the next coming up one.  Don't know who invented this idiotic method but that's how it is.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
"This Sunday" refers to the next closest Sunday on the calendar, whether or not the current day is Monday or Saturday.

"Next Sunday" implies TWO Sundays from the current day, regardless of what day that is.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
This Sunday is just Sunday to me.

Next Sunday is after this Sunday.

The "Sunday after Next" it two Sundays away.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
"Next Sunday" means 6/6 to me. Same as "This Sunday"

"Sunday after next" means 6/13.

I am a hillbilly though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
So for you guys Sunday is the end of the week rather then on a calender the beginning? Why does Sunday have it's own special rules? I consider Sunday the beginning of a week. Next Sunday is the same to me as next Monday.  Meaning the next up coming Sunday  6/6
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]
"This Sunday" refers to the Sunday in the future that is nearest.  "Next Sunday" is the Sunday after that.

Needs more poll.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top