Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/3/2010 12:24:57 PM EDT
I love my mother very much.  I don't agree with her politically.  She is a liberal, she voted for Obama, and before that probably voted for Al Gore.  I listened to her complain about Bush for 8 years, and she is "morally opposed to guns."  

Today she was talking about how she passed a seatbelt checkpoint the other day and how she feels every town around here needs to have seat belt checkpoints every weekend.  I stated that once you are 18, you should be allowed to choose if you should wear a seat belt, but if you're a kid, parents should put their kids in seatbelts/car seats.

I religiously wear a seat belt.  She used to not wear her belt, but tickets and the beeper in her TrailBlazer cured that.

Her response: "Stop it.  Seat belts save lives.  Why have a person make the decision to wear a seatbelt?"

Other gems:

-In her mind, cigarettes should be $20 a pack, beer $40 a case, and whiskey $50 a bottle.  If it's bad for you she says, you should be discouraged from buying it.
-In her mind, gas stations shouldn't sell booze.  Anyone can buy booze and crack it open in the car.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I love my mother very much.  I don't agree with her politically.  She is a liberal, she voted for Obama, and before that probably voted for Al Gore.  I listened to her complain about Bush for 8 years, and she is "morally opposed to guns."  

Today she was talking about how she passed a seatbelt checkpoint the other day and how she feels every town around here needs to have seat belt checkpoints every weekend.  I stated that once you are 18, you should be allowed to choose if you should wear a seat belt, but if you're a kid, parents should put their kids in seatbelts/car seats.

I religiously wear a seat belt.  She used to not wear her belt, but tickets and the beeper in her TrailBlazer cured that.

Her response: "Stop it.  Seat belts save lives.  Why have a person make the decision to wear a seatbelt?"

Other gems:

-In her mind, cigarettes should be $20 a pack, beer $40 a case, and whiskey $50 a bottle.  If it's bad for you she says, you should be discouraged from buying it.
-In her mind, gas stations shouldn't sell booze.  Anyone can buy booze and crack it open in the car.
http://www.maintitles.net/gfx/smileys/facepalm.gif

WOW!  just wow.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell her, her meds need to cost a thousand dollars a pill, they cause harm you know.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
You should introduce your mother to Dave_A, I have a feeling they have a lot in common. Especially the smoking, and drinking thing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can, pretend your family died in a horrific house fire and their remains were never found and go on in life.

That's my secret to dealing with family. Pretend they don't exist. Saved me time, money, and sanity.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tell her, her meds need to cost a thousand dollars a pill, they cause harm you know.

She's a diabetic, she has psoriasis, she has high BP.  She's gonna love it when healthhcare is shoved down our throats.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
My mother is almost the same way, and so is one of my sisters ( my sister is worse).  

I've shot holes in her arguments several times and she still doesn't get it. My other sister makes fun of her ( and her own husband, who is libtarded).

Makes for interesting family get togethers.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You mom sounds like she has room temperature IQ and that room is very air conditioned.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you can, pretend your family died in a horrific house fire and their remains were never found and go on in life.

That's my secret to dealing with family. Pretend they don't exist. Saved me time, money, and sanity.

My dad's fairly conservative.  I'm working on him with guns.  Although he gets his gun knowledge from Westerns.  He thinks the .44 is the most powerful round made.  I asked him if he's ever seen a .500.

Quoted:
You mom sounds like she has room temperature IQ and that room is very air conditioned.

She was born in 1953.  She's a child of the 60s, a confirmed former hippie.''

Quoted:

I wish I could do that, but I'm still under their roof till I find a job and save up enough to move out.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]
edit to consolidate posts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Deej, all I can say is, continue to not have these conversations with your mom.

It'll be better for you in the long run.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always felt that the seatbelt law is a good law.

Its not really about protecting you, but others on the road when you go flying out the windshield and make the 10 cars behind you start swerving all over the road.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Its not really about protecting you, but others on the road when you go flying out the windshield and make the 10 cars behind you start swerving all over the road.

If you're stupid enough to not wear your seatbelt, flying through a windshield is more punishment than a $75 ticket.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
As with the liberal co-worker I discuss topics with during walks at work, you should just state plainly (blank face) that she hates freedom.

He gets upset everytime I do it...it's great...
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're stupid enough to not wear your seatbelt, flying through a windshield is more punishment than a $75 ticket.

Well of course and people who dont wear it can epect that if they ever get into a high speed collision.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I've slowly been chipping away at my mother. She is slowly starting to come around. She still votes (D) though
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've slowly been chipping away at my mother. She is slowly starting to come around. She still votes (D) though

I find it ironic that she used to call people that didn't like certain foods/things "communists."

"You don't like stuffing, you must be a communist."
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#17]
My mom counteracts your mom - she listen's to Rush Limbaugh, can't stand Obama and likes guns.  Of course, both of my parents went to Texas A&M.......

Brian
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I find it ironic that she used to call people that didn't like certain foods/things "communists."

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I was discussing my mother, not Renegade13B's.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#20]
The mother-in-law of one of my friends is the same way. Old Hippy. She's nice enough but gets stupid ideas in her head. She was going on about "Peak Oil' two or three years ago, trying to convince my friend and his wife to plant a garden and stock up on supplies. I asked her if she was going to get a gun and learn how to use it. She said no, guns are icky and did I want to get in on their preparations and gardening. I told her I wouldn't need to plant a garden, since I had guns I'd just take hers. That got a wide-eyed look and a light bulb flickered on in her pea brain for about 1/10th of a second. (I could actually see her process the idea, recognize the problem with her plans and reject the bit that didn't fit with her world view. It was weird.)  Then it was back to her saying I should really plant a garden.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#21]
My folks aren't former hippies, nor are they liberals; but I'm sure as hell glad I no longer live under their roof.

I like to visit them...then return to my own home.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, but for all their quirks, we still have to love 'em. My mom once asked me to rewind a DVD.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, but for all their quirks, we still have to love 'em. My mom once asked me to rewind a DVD.

Same here.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Good whiskey is at least $50 a bottle.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I had to completely cut my sister out of my life.  She's a Marxist, Libtard, enviro-fascist.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Jack is good whiskey.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#28]
We were in the pool at the the new house the other day shooting at cans with my buddies 44 mag and I was hoping my sister in law would come over.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had to completely cut my sister out of my life.  She's a Marxist, Libtard, enviro-fascist.

Wrong approach.  The truly lefty people are loads of fun when they start spouting their enviro-religion.  Be bigger than cutting her out of your life.  You demonstrate fear of her nonsense by doing that.

Deej, your mom feels, she doesn't think.  You are right to avoid politics with her.   Women can be converted when you just go around their B.S. and demonstrate truth to them with actions.  In other words, be a good gun owner and don't wear your seat belt around her
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Is there something in the water around here, OP?
Because you're situation sounds EXACTLY like my parents.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Tell your mom that in the name of fighting obesity, sugar and HFCS should be taxed $100 per lb.

That stuff is bad for people....
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'd imagine so.  I'm in the south 'burbs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You should introduce your mother to Dave_A, I have a feeling they have a lot in common. Especially the smoking, and drinking thing.

Ohh god yes.  In fact Dave A is your mother........And all this time
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recently had a strong conversation with my father who has liberal tendencies at the kitchen table until he got up and left the table.  I don't feel bad about it either.  I let him know how much of a mistake he made voting for Obama and what is now happening to this country.  My dead mother on the other hand was a strong conservative.  I am really starting to lose patience with the liberals around me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#35]
She's a mom, and she wants government to be everybody's mom.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I think it's time to send her to pasture.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#37]
You mean your loosing patiences with the continued stubborn liberals who refuse to recognize the obvious, mentally sleep under a rock, or honestly are rabid communist/anarchists.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
cigarettes should be $20 a pack, beer $40 a case, and whiskey $50 a bottle.

Thats where I went from "rage" to my "face just melted off."

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You mean your loosing patiences with the continued stubborn liberals who refuse to recognize the obvious, mentally sleep under a rock, or honestly are rabid communist/anarchists.

yes
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.
My mom  even made my dad give up the guns my granddad left him after he died.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I just love discussing politics with my mum.  Its usually her who ends up changing the subject, when she has no logical argument to fight back with
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.
My mom  even made my dad give up the guns my granddad left him after he died.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think it's time to send her to pasture.

Reminds about that guy who posted about his ailing grandad with senile dementia.  He was asking how to best put his grandad down, 45 and 308, as grandad was well armed and not approachable.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad's fairly conservative.  I'm working on him with guns.  Although he gets his gun knowledge from Westerns.  He thinks the .44 is the most powerful round made.  I asked him if he's ever seen a .500.

Quoted:

She was born in 1953.  She's a child of the 60s, a confirmed former hippie.''

Quoted:

I wish I could do that, but I'm still under their roof till I find a job and save up enough to move out.

I was born in 1951! Damn, it even hurt to type that.

That being said, in 1969 hippies were everywhere.

I was 'one' of them some of the time, yet still read my Bible and William F. Buckley the rest [ dichotomy at best ] of the time.

Strange times indeed my friend, but I was 18 with an erection that lasted more than 4 hours most days!    

Now slightly to the right of Reagan! Tea party! 2nd Amed. Pro Life. Christian.

Carry on!
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Let's see:

- My mother is in favor of prohibition.
- My father has described the 9/11 hijackers as being heros (seriously, he wasn't joking or anything, I could barely believe it myself).
- My mother, father, uncle, aunts, and three cousins (basically all the family on this side of the country) are basically in favor of having the government do everything for them.

Yeah, normally family events consist of me sitting down, shutting up, and waiting for the end. You can't argue with people who have made up their minds and refuse to listen to facts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Let's see:

- My mother is in favor of prohibition.
- My father has described the 9/11 hijackers as being heros (seriously, he wasn't joking or anything, I could barely believe it myself).
- My mother, father, uncle, aunts, and three cousins (basically all the family on this side of the country) are basically in favor of having the government do everything for them.

Yeah, normally family events consist of me sitting down, shutting up, and waiting for the end. You can't argue with people who have made up their minds and refuse to listen to facts.

Damn, I thought I had it bad.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I feel your pain...my mom is a greenie and a lib too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Geez, and I thought my über liberal sister was bad...
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#49]
pics of mom........
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The mother-in-law of one of my friends is the same way. Old Hippy. She's nice enough but gets stupid ideas in her head. She was going on about "Peak Oil' two or three years ago, trying to convince my friend and his wife to plant a garden and stock up on supplies. I asked her if she was going to get a gun and learn how to use it. She said no, guns are icky and did I want to get in on their preparations and gardening. I told her I wouldn't need to plant a garden, since I had guns I'd just take hers. That got a wide-eyed look and a light bulb flickered on in her pea brain for about 1/10th of a second. (I could actually see her process the idea, recognize the problem with her plans and reject the bit that didn't fit with her world view. It was weird.)  Then it was back to her saying I should really plant a garden.

I don't discuss ANYTHING of consequence with my MiL.  Not that she's a liberal or anything, she voted R all the time (not that that's saying much, I know), but damn is she judgemental and controlling.  And all the issues I have with my wife and guns (raised on Long Island, gets what I say about guns in her head, but still has an irrational fear about them) would be MASSIVELY greater with her or my SiL.

Can't wait, though, for her to be visiting a few years down the road... I'll make sure that she's around as I take my son (due in August ) out to do some shooting.  I'll have even more fun making sure that the kid's .22 and my own guns have suppressors pre mounted, so she can see 'em and have a stroke.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top