Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2010 11:18:57 AM EDT
I live in a subdivision that they never finished because of the real estate crash. So, I have a huge ass field next to my house which has become a kind of added bonus for me and a place where I can walk the dogs.

Well, I just did the normal after lunch routine. Took the dogs out and started walking through the grass towards the 'end' of the field. About halfway, a guy that lives across the street from me but a few houses further toward the 'end' of the field opens his door and his pitbull/mut mix dog bolts out of the house. I notice this when I start hearing the light 'thud' noises from a dog running towards you....then I hear the neighbor yelling for his dog. I would guess that the dog was about 65lbs or so.

So I tighten up the lease and stand in front of my dogs as this one is running towards us. He's getting pretty close and I am trying to assess if he is just being playful or if I need to do something here in a second when my 3 year old male pug (hes like 14 pounds) jumps in front of me and his little sister, stands up on his hind legs, starts flinging his arms out like a bear and lets out this horrible growl/yelp/bark that I have never heard before.....and the other dog just stops and stands there with the WTF look on his face. Shit, it even startled me. The owner came across the street, apologized and we actually started laughing when he brought up what my dog did.

Imagine a little pug doing this....if this doesn't make you laugh you're doing it wrong.

And yes, CSB

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Man's best friend was going to take one for the team.  Good dog.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
That's awesome. Pugs are small but they have heart.

FYI: when you and your dog are about to be attacked, I know it's reflexive to grip the leash, but you need to drop the leash at that point. Your dog will need freedom of movement to defend himself and you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#4]
My next door neighbor had a little schnauzer.  Max was a cool dog, weighed less than a bag of sugar but thought he was a pit bull.

House on the other side of them had two big GSDs.  Neighbor lets Max out one day, and the GSDs are going nuts––until Max went right up to the fence and started snarling like the queen from Aliens.  Those two German Sheperds ran like cheap paint.  

He comes walking back from the fence, does that kick-at-the-grass thing, sends one more bark over his shoulder as if he was saying "AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!" before going to sit in the shade to enjoy the peace and quiet.  Those GSDs stayed quiet whenever Max was out there from then on.

Watch out for the little dogs, they sometimes don't know they're supposed to be afraid of the bigger ones.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

FYI: when you and your dog are about to be attacked, I know it's reflexive to grip the leash, but you need to drop the leash at that point. Your dog will need freedom of movement to defend himself and you.

That makes sense.

To be honest, as quick as it went all that went through my head was that I didn't bring any pepper spray and trying to figure out if I was going to have to tackle/fight a fucking dog in the next 5 seconds.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.

To be honest, as quick as it went all that went through my head was that I didn't bring any pepper spray and trying to figure out if I was going to have to tackle/fight a fucking dog in the next 5 seconds.

I'm tracking, and know exactly how it feels. By pulling in on the leash it feels like you're protecting your dog.

It's counter-intuitive to drop the leash and say, "You got this, little guy!"
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Your dog will need freedom of movement to defend himself and you.

No, my dog needs to stay out of the way of the lead and copper that's going to be moving towards the attacking dog at a high rate of speed.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, my dog needs to stay out of the way of the lead and copper that's going to be moving towards the attacking dog at a high rate of speed.

This.
10mm...the natural enemy of the pitbull.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Where are TheGSDs?

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome!

...but would have been cooler if you had an anteater.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I live in a subdivision that they never finished because of the real estate crash. So, I have a huge ass field next to my house which has become a kind of added bonus for me and a place where I can walk the dogs.

Well, I just did the normal after lunch routine. Took the dogs out and started walking through the grass towards the 'end' of the field. About halfway, a guy that lives across the street from me but a few houses further toward the 'end' of the field opens his door and his pitbull/mut mix dog bolts out of the house. I notice this when I start hearing the light 'thud' noises from a dog running towards you....then I hear the neighbor yelling for his dog. I would guess that the dog was about 65lbs or so.

So I tighten up the lease and stand in front of my dogs as this one is running towards us. He's getting pretty close and I am trying to assess if he is just being playful or if I need to do something here in a second when my 3 year old male pug (hes like 14 pounds) jumps in front of me and his little sister, stands up on his hind legs, starts flinging his arms out like a bear and lets out this horrible growl/yelp/bark that I have never heard before.....and the other dog just stops and stands there with the WTF look on his face. Shit, it even startled me. The owner came across the street, apologized and we actually started laughing when he brought up what my dog did.

Imagine a little pug doing this....if this doesn't make you laugh you're doing it wrong.

And yes, CSB

Too bad you didn't catch that on video.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't stop laughing... Your dog "sharted" him self!!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#13]

My mom has a little pug that gives my 50lb, 17 wk old GSD hell. My dog is playing, but the pug is serious business. Funny as hell to watch.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh god... Was it like this???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eFBdG8qHWE&feature=youtube_gdata

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently not everyone has that option, huh?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#16]
My idiot Maltese has faced down dogs that outweigh him five or six to one.  I think they're worried that he'll run between their legs and latch on to their tender parts.

Jane
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
My friends Pug would bark at the post he was tied to.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome.  That's your dog showing his love for you.  Willing to put himself between you and a much bigger dog.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yes, CSB

Too bad you didn't catch that on video.

No kidding. Sounds like he put on a good show.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Awesome.  That's your dog showing his love for you.  Willing to put himself between you and a much bigger dog.

That's why they are called man's best friend.

My 57Lbs Elkhound often tries to stand between my wife and cars when they are at an intersection.   Some days, I really do believe he could take down a Kia or Chevy if he thought it would protect my wife.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#21]
we watch our neighbors little pug every once in awhile and its a riot. It snorts like a pig and goes ape shit all the time
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#22]
My neighbors little rat dog got under the fence once and went straight for my 50 pound red heeler female. He jumped all over her and I only had time to get one shot off.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#23]
thats funny,

my malamute and husky do that somtimes when im walking them around the neiborhood,  one time i was cutting through one of the grassy field/parks and a pit bull came out of no where charged and got mauled,  could of been an episod of when keeping it real goes wrong,lol

same thig has happend with 1 wiener dog, a toy poodle, an american bulldog,  odly enuff they were more gentle with the little ones,

its cool though, my two can take care of them selves, and i can take care of them so it doesnt really bother me to much,  i just hope that they dont get hit by a car
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#24]
We have a pug. A bigger pug than normal, but not a fat one. He gets mistaken for a bulldog. Get him near the neighborhood tough-guy GSD, and he stands his ground, barks, howls, then charges forward and runs in circles under the bigger dog. The shepherd gets confused and starts whimpering. It's hilarious, and the blowhard yuppie that owns the GSD loses his "big man" syndrome when he watches his big dog getting owned by a pint-size pup. I just stand back and reap the lulz.....

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#25]
stands up on his hind legs, starts flinging his arms out like a bear and lets out this horrible growl/yelp/bark that I have never heard before.....and the other dog just stops and stands there with the WTF look on his face.

Ours actually did this today when a Black labrador retriever/dachshund mix (don't ask me how) came close to us today while we were walking at a local track. It was like our pug was boxing the other dog, one-two-left hook-right jab- YIPE! Then the other dog ran away! It was hilarious!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top