User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/31/2010 3:15:15 AM EDT
Backpacker shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska park
           Buzz up!4 votes Send
Email IM .Share
Facebook Twitter Delicious Digg Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks .Print ..24 mins ago
ANCHORAGE, Alaska – A backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park, officials said.

A man and woman reported that they were hiking Friday evening when the bear emerged from trailside brush and charged the woman, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

The two reported the shooting to rangers, who restricted access to the Igloo Canyon area for fear that the bear was wounded and dangerous.

On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site.

Park officials are determining the justification for the shooting. It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

Rangers said it was the first known instance of a grizzly bear being shot by a visitor in the wilderness portion of Denali, formerly called Mount McKinley National Park.

glad it turned out good for this couple....
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Good shoot.  Good thing he did not have a 9mm

Max
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:17:39 AM EDT
[#2]
If he was carrying a 1911 with 8+1 on board I hope he was carrying a spare mag....
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
He did not have to shoot the poor thing.  Just rack the slide on that bad boy and the grizz would have run off!
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
When I saw the post I was going to say "lucky shot," but after reading the details, I'll say hes lucky he managed to fire 9 rounds at the bear...
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If he was carrying a 1911 with 8+1 on board I bet he was carrying a spare mag....

im thinking either a springfield xd, or a glock.......... if i was gonna go with a auto..... i guess it would be a 10mm glock...
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:38:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he was carrying a 1911 with 8+1 on board I bet he was carrying a spare mag....

im thinking either a springfield xd, or a glock.......... if i was gonna go with a auto..... i guess it would be a 10mm glock...

shit stirrer
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:39:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Heard about this from my friend working there. He was almost on rotation to sling it out with the helicopter. He was really hoping to get to cut it up with a chainsaw to get it to fit. Boss said no BTW.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
This can't be right!   If he unloaded 9 rounds of potent .45 ammo at the bear, there should have been a smoking, hairy, crater where the bear used to be!
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:56:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This can't be right!   If he unloaded 9 rounds of potent .45 ammo at the bear, there should have been a smoking, hairy, crater where the bear used to be!

As opposed to a smoking crater where he would have been standing had he been armed with a Glock.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:02:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

was not thinking earlier..... it could well have been a 1911, if he only fired 9 rounds. .....either way sounded like he was lucky the bear decided not to eat his ass, if it wandered 100 yards before dying, thats plenty of eating time...
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

was not thinking earlier..... it could well have been a 1911, if he only fired 9 rounds. .....either way sounded like he was lucky the bear decided not to eat his ass, if it wandered 100 yards before dying, thats plenty of eating time...

Bear went 100 FEET from where it was shot. Not enough time to eat, but plenty of time to kill.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:06:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:18:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Park officials are determining the justification for the shooting. It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

LOL THIS HAS TO BE A JOKE DON T KILL THE BEAR,  BEAR KILLS YOU. KILL THE BEAR AND YOU GO TO JAIL.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As opposed to a smoking crater where he would have been standing had he been armed with a Glock.

So a Glock 21 in 45acp wouldn't have done anything?

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL THIS HAS TO BE A JOKE DON T KILL THE BEAR,  BEAR KILLS YOU. KILL THE BEAR AND YOU GO TO JAIL.

Fucking stupid park nazis
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:34:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Well shit.

I thought the common consensus on this board was that NOTHING short of a .375 H&H would kill a bear, and that to attempt to kill a bear with less would end up with the bear shoving the gun up your ass and then eating your face off.

I would hope this would end all the endless and stupid threads about this subject, but it is only 8:30 am eastern.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a Glock 21 in 45acp wouldn't have done anything?

Killed man, woman and bear when it fragmented?

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Now come on I think you are narrowing the real choices in this situation deliberately. He could have talked to the bear. Found out if maybe it had a shitty childhood and was just acting out. I'll bet the bears mom was quoted as saying, " Mah baby didn do nuffin."
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Ban Bears.

or

Bush's fault.

or

Bear worked for BP and was scouting out a new drilling location.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:43:10 AM EDT
[#20]
He should be glad it was a bear and not Chuck Norris. The only thing that will stop Chuck Norris is a second Chuck Norris.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#21]
The bear should not have attacked and that man should not have shot. Two wrongs don't make a right
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The bear should not have attacked and that man should not have shot. Two wrongs don't make a right

What the fuck?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Well shit.

I thought the common consensus on this board was that NOTHING short of a .375 H&H would kill a bear, and that to attempt to kill a bear with less would end up with the bear shoving the gun up your ass and then eating your face off.

I would hope this would end all the endless and stupid threads about this subject, but it is only 8:30 am eastern.

Honestly I dont think the odds were in the guys favor. He should go buy a lottery ticket.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:01:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The bear should not have attacked and that man should not have shot. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Sarcasm???

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My guess is that it's illegal to discharge them except to save your life, meaning you can carry, but don't do any plinking during your hike.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The bear should not have attacked and that man should not have shot. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Sarcasm???
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:04:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Bears, as well as most other animals, do 3 things. They eat, sleep and shit.  By shooting, he was planning on not being in the bears shit the next day.  Called self defense.  Or.  Maybe they both could have had dinner and some wine and talked things over first.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:07:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Hikers old lady was probably on the rag.. Better armed than not in this case...I'm sure the tree huggers will make a stink about carry in parks....
Let's see...no gun...bear kills 2 people...parks locate bear...bear is killed anyhow... 3 souls.
Vs...
1 bear... no brainer.

Lock - N - Load
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Backpacker shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska park
           Buzz up!4 votes Send
Email IM .Share
Facebook Twitter Delicious Digg Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks .Print ..24 mins ago
ANCHORAGE, Alaska – A backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park, officials said.

A man and woman reported that they were hiking Friday evening when the bear emerged from trailside brush and charged the woman, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

The two reported the shooting to rangers, who restricted access to the Igloo Canyon area for fear that the bear was wounded and dangerous.

On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site.

Rangers said it was the first known instance of a grizzly bear being shot by a visitor in the wilderness portion of Denali, formerly called Mount McKinley National Park.

glad it turned out good for this couple....

twat?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:12:58 AM EDT
[#30]

um...........I dunno...........just a hunch...........maybe .........

the FUCKING GRIZZLY BEAR ? ! ? !

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Reminds me of an incident here in KY a few years back where a guy shot a black bear on his own property.  This went to trial and he was facing prison time but it ended up in a mistrial.  He still had to pay some fines though.  I sure hope this works out for that guy, he could be in some deep shit over this..
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I though it was illegal to be a bear in the park. I guess they just aren't enforcing the rules anymore.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I am of two minds on this.
I fully support the hiker's right to defend himself against predation by the bear by whatever means necessary.
However, as someone who has spent some time around bears, I wonder if he was experienced enough to tell if the bear was actually intent on attacking or was bluff-charging to try to scare them off.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#34]
45acp is not the best bear gun. But as we can see it seemed to do the trick here.
I used to carry my Colt 10mm Delta elite when I walked the trails. It was loaded up with 200gr soft points doing about 1200fps.
I used this same round to pig and deer hunt with and it always went through and through.
It was generally my back up gun to my 22" Win Mod 70 in 300 Win. Mag. w/ Ashley custom express sights.
I bet that dude felt like he had a Daisy red rider staring that thing down with a pistol.
When the shit hits the fan and there coming right at you you always wish you had the next size up.
I once asked a guy who hunted cape buffalo why the hell do you shoot the .500 nitro?? He said cause they dont make a .600?? They do now..
Shit i think they make a .700nitro these days.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I fully support the hiker's right to defend himself against predation by the bear by whatever means necessary.
However, as someone who has spent some time around bears, I wonder if he was experienced enough to tell if the bear was actually intent on attacking or was bluff-charging to try to scare them off.

So what is the proper action?

Wait for the grizzly to get so close you can smell his breath and then unload on him?

Not stirring the pot, just curious as to the difference between attack mode and bluff charging with grizzly's.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm not gonna over-analyze that kind of situation should I get put into one..............that bear's gonna die . ( it's the time of year for cubs to be in tow with momma , and she's kinda protective. )

Better to be judged by twelve than shat out by one .  *

*   ultramag's words of wisdom for traveling in bear country
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:31:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait for the grizzly to get so close you can smell his breath and then unload on him?

Not stirring the pot, just curious as to the difference between attack mode and bluff charging with grizzly's.

Bluff charges are short and choppy––-a sort of lunge forwards that winds up with the bear's front paws digging into the dirt to stop himself short.
The proper action when faced with an agressive grizz is to start backing up, speaking in a firm, calm voice but not shouting, standing up straight and with everyone in the group together to make youself look larger, and getting whatever defense you have handy ready.  When and if the bear attacks, you WILL know the difference because it WON'T stop,

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

He called the Bears Bluff.........he went ALL IN
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

He called the Bears Bluff.........he went ALL IN

...and WON ! !

Trouble is , the 'IRS' caught wind of it and they want their piece now

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#40]
If the bear is close enough to do a mag dump... I'm going to do a mag dump from my 1911. I'm not going to wait to see if the bear stops 3' away from my wife.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:47:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Good Shoot. and Nice Shootin' Tex.

This could have turned out completely differently.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well shit.

Well obviously it must have been a baby bear !  Duh !
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

um...........I dunno...........just a hunch...........maybe .........

the FUCKING GRIZZLY BEAR ? ! ? !

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bluff charges are short and choppy––-a sort of lunge forwards that winds up with the bear's front paws digging into the dirt to stop himself short.

The proper action when faced with an agressive grizz is to start backing up, speaking in a firm, calm voice but not shouting, standing up straight and with everyone in the group together to make youself look larger, and getting whatever defense you have handy ready. When and if the bear attacks, you WILL know the difference because it WON'T stop,

And it will be too late. Wouldn't matter much if you had a .45 or a .500 s&w. You're dead. Bear may be, too, but that's of little consolation to you cause....you're dead.

Hiker probably screwed up. Surprised the bear...etc. He was in the bear's woods. I don't really see a problem with raking him over the coals a bit just to make sure every Tom, Dick and Harry doesn't go blundering around the the woods full of grizzlys and blasting them willy nilly. There's a fine line here with no really good answer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#45]
On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site...................

Looks like you have to rework the 21" Rule for bears.

Like ridgerunner said, I wonder if they were making noise, etc. to let said bears know they were in the area.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Those people were lucky
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Just more proof the .45ACP is gods caliber
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Bear walked off, ie not dead.

Who knows how long it took to die from its wounds.

They were dang lucky.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Who says all nine of them hit the bear?

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give him the picinic basket.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top