Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2002 7:34:09 AM EDT
...in your state? In my state they dont.

In California Possession of Marijuana is technically a misdemeanor. However the fine is only about $50.00.

A recent restructuring of the courts has resulted in Marijuanas being further decriminalized. anyone cited for marijuana possession now appears in [b]traffic[/b] court before a commissioner, rather than criminal court before a judge.

So it has esentially being lowered to the point of a traffic ticket.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell ya.

Some dudes got caught in Lake county, and got 10 million in bail.

Had 100lbs with them.
c-rock
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a friend who got busted in Austin.  Cops just made him stand there, scatter it into the wind and they let him go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have to ask this , then you need to cut back on your intake :)
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#5]
legal of not, do you think it is okay for the money to be supporting Colombia's FARC and others thus terrorism ?? I guess if you home grow that would be different.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think anyone goes to jail in any state for possession of weed. Only if you have enough to be selling it. Like a quarter pound or more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, but it not so if you are buying pot from central and south america or hashish from the middle east you are supporting terrorism, because they run the drug trade. So, i guess (being a product of the 60's and an ex-smoker) i am saying know your source if you are going to smoke it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
legal of not, do you think it is okay for the money to be supporting Colombia's FARC and others thus terrorism ?? I guess if you home grow that would be different.
View Quote

Damn are you beeing serious? You believe the commercials they have that your marijuana money goes to buy AK's for terrosists?

From what I understand almost all marijuana in FL at least is locally grown. The hardcore stuff ie coke and heoin are the ones smuggled b/c that is where the money is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#10]
thee12nv, my wifes uncle's family is from Columbia. I know it maybe hard for you to grasp it but a lot of pot still comes from this part of the world, how do you think these rebel armies finance themselves ,lottery tickets ? Maybe Hunter223 can add some input.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Hell yes, millions of people do time for simple possession. Here is the penalties in Texas for possession:

2 oz or less misdemeanor 180 days $2,000
2 to 4 oz misdemeanor 1 year $4,000
4 oz to 5 lbs misdemeanor or felony 180 days - 2 years $10,000
5 to 50 lbs felony 2 - 10 years $10,000
50 to 2,000 lbs felony 2 - 20 years $10,000
More than 2,000 lbs felony 5 - 99 years $50,000

If you want to see what the penalties are in your state go here: www.natlnorml.org/states/index.shtml
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#12]
California is one of the most lenient states but you can do time there as well:

28.5 g or less misdemeanor none $100
More than 28.5 g misdemeanor 6 months $500
28.5 g or less on school grounds while school open  misdemeanor 10 days $500
More than 28.5 g on school grounds while school open  misdemeanor 6 months $500

Even there you can do 6 months for having 1 oz or more. The problem is that lots of people think that no one does time for simple possession but the reality is that 80% of drug offenders are in jail or prison for just that.
When will the madness end?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Back in 98, I went to jail for marijuana. I was just smoking a joint with my friend in front of his house. Next thing you know, the police come over, take the rest of the joint, step on it, and takes me to jail. I guess they put me in de-tox because I was in there for only a few hours. I didn't get fined or anything. Hell, I wasn't even driving or causing any trouble!!! Too bad I don't smoke anymore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#15]

People who smoke marijuana don't go to jail...
... they go to [red][b]HELL[/b][/red] [devil]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

No one has seen much columbian pot since the 80's. The majority of the weed smoked in the USA comes from Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, and within the USA. Pot smokers are not supporting any terrorists. Oil users are.

Why is our government having such a hard time coming to a decision on whether or not to destroy the poppy fields in Afghanistan? That's the kind of drugs (opium, heroin) we should be warring against if any.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was a prosecutor for 7 years, and in all that time I don't think I ever had anyone do jail time for straight possession.  When people got time, it was always for felony possession of large amounts with intent to deliver.  No one ever did time on misdemeanors.
View Quote

Yes in your state felony possession is 30 grams or more:

30 to 500 g (first offense) felony 1 - 3 years $25,000
30 to 500 g (subsequent offense) felony 2 - 5 years $25,000
500 to 2,000 g felony 2 - 5 years $25,000
2,000 to 5,000 g felony 3 - 7 years $25,000
More than 5,000 g felony 4 - 15 years $25,000

So I had a little over an ounce in your state I would be looking at 1-3 years, just for possession of a relatively harmless substance. Rather harsh don't you think, proabably not since you were a prosecutor.

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#18]
note quite, less than 1/3 of the pot smoked in the U.S. was grown here. So the other 2/3's is smuggled, now since the profit from 700 lbs. of pot can be made from a kilo of coke you can see the problem, You need to import tons to make any money and who has the resoucres for this , only the major cartels and narco-terrorists. Don't kid yourself, just do the math. I'm not saying don't buy it , just grow it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#19]
   Of the 682,885 marijuana arrests in 1998, approximately 88% (600,938) were for simple possession. The remaining 12% (81,947) were for "sale/manufacture", an FBI category which includes marijuana grown for personal use or purely medical purposes. These new FBI statistics indicate that one marijuana smoker is arrested every 52 seconds in America.

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
note quite, less than 1/3 of the pot smoked in the U.S. was grown here. So the other 2/3's is smuggled, now since the profit from 700 lbs. of pot can be made from a kilo of coke you can see the problem, You need to import tons to make any money and who has the resoucres for this , only the major cartels and narco-terrorists. Don't kid yourself, just do the math. I'm not saying don't buy it , just grow it.
View Quote

Yes, most of the pot is smuggled in, from Mexico and Canada, very little from Columbia, cuz as you said, cocaine is where it's at for them. On growing your own, you are crazy, do you know what the penalty is for growing your own pot? Property forfeiture, kiss away your house, your car, your kids, your life. Crazy stuff.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Hellraiser, back in the 60's and early 70's (when i smoked) every seller claimed it was panama red, or thai stick, etc. because that is what the people wanted, in reality it was almost all from colombia. Now I hear that British Colombia has earned some dubios title for its hydro. so the sellers have just changed the name, the sources remain the same. Also it comes the through the boarders you mentioned , that does not mean it was grown there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hellraiser, back in the 60's and early 70's (when i smoked) every seller claimed it was panama red, or thai stick, etc. because that is what the people wanted, in reality it was almost all from colombia. Now I hear that British Colombia has earned some dubios title for its hydro. so the sellers have just changed the name, the sources remain the same. Also it comes the through the boarders you mentioned , that does not mean it was grown there.
View Quote

So your saying that weed that is smuggled over the canadian border is actually columbian and everyone is fooled into thinking that it's canadian hydro - that's a real stretch there. I think you've been out of the pot smoking culture too long to know what's up - no offense, but no one above 16 years old would fall for that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I had a little over an ounce in your state I would be looking at 1-3 years, just for possession of a relatively harmless substance. Rather harsh don't you think, proabably not since you were a prosecutor.
View Quote

You forgot the part where I said the only people who did time were convicted of felony possession WITH intent to deliver.  I never put anyone in jail for smoking pot.  And for someone to go to jail for straight possession, I imagine it would have to be a multiple offender, who'd already gone through Section 10 (drug offender, non-conviction probation), conditional discharge (conviction, no reporting to probation officer), straight probation (just what it sounds like), and TASC probation (intensive probation with drug treatment).  

And if you fvck all that up, you're going to jail because you're stupid, not because you smoke pot.
View Quote

But the problem is that you (well maybe not you personally) take a simple possession case and you turn it into an "intent to deliver". Seen it happen all the time. Someone gets busted with a bag they just got which was meant for personal use, but you search their house and find ordinary items (plastic sandwich bags, postal scale, etc.) that everyone has in their house and turn him into a drug dealer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you honestly think enough hydro can come from BC to supply Canada and the US ? I guess I better start buying stock in some Canadian Utility companies then, thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#26]

If you start out like this:

[img]http://www.azcreative.com/vietphotos/cancerman.jpg[/img]
Then you might end up like this:

[img]http://www.azcreative.com/vietphotos/smokeryard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Where I live you will do about 6 months for residue unless you give up your source
[50]            TNT
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

In OREGON, Nor Cal. and Washington - it is very much home grown. However, some of these operations are very large. Last week they pinched 3 folks for 2,300 plants. Can you say FEDERAL TIME?

I have heard of guys that bury containers (semi truck shipping containers) underground and then run them off of generators. This reduces the heat signature.

Possesion? Depends. Less than an ounce is not gonna get more than a fine. An 1/8th might even just disappear (into the cops pocket).

In this area millions are made in the green trade. (or so I have been told)

Indoor operations have become much more prevalent as QC and production schedules can be controlled. However in the late summer / early fall - you need to be exceedingly careful when you go into the woods.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do you honestly think enough hydro can come from BC to supply Canada and the US ? I guess I better start buying stock in some Canadian Utility companies then, thanks for the tip.
View Quote

I don't recall saying Canada is growing enough hydro to supply all of Canada and the US, can you provide a quote where I said that? I said Canada is one source. All the weed grown in canada is not hydro anyway, some is, but they grow much more the natural outdoor way. My point was that you can't pass off bricked, compressed, seedy, brown, columbian shwag as prime seedless, light green, not compressed bc hydro - which you say is going on.

On the other hand you seem to think Columbia is supplying enough for the whole USA and Canada and Mexico, which is not the case. I'm sure Columbia still gets some to us, but it is not like it was 20-30 years ago. As you said earlier, Columbian farmers have learned that much more profit can be had with coke in a smaller package. And nobody I know has gotten any real columbian in a long time. Columbian pot is easy to identify cause it has a certain taste to it due to the strains they grow and the climate and soil it's grown in. Last time I had any columbian was back in 1982. Since then most of the stuff coming from south of the border is a Mexican strain which is also very easy to identify by taste and looks. And yes I know way too much about marijuana.

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, you seem to sound like someone i knew a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#31]
In Kalifornia you can smoke pot, live with a same sex partner not have an AR, and have Boxer and Feinstein as your Leadership, is there anything else to say?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
...in your state? In my state they dont.

In California Possession of Marijuana is technically a misdemeanor. However the fine is only about $50.00.

A recent restructuring of the courts has resulted in Marijuanas being further decriminalized. anyone cited for marijuana possession now appears in [b]traffic[/b] court before a commissioner, rather than criminal court before a judge.

So it has esentially being lowered to the point of a traffic ticket.
View Quote

Here if they find it growing they burn it (do they stand around the fire?). Otherwise I think it must take getting caught with a large hay truch load to do other wise. Seems to be a real cash crop.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The problem is that lots of people think that no one does time for simple possession
View Quote

I've been in the taking people to jail business for nearly 9 years. I have [b]never[/b] taken anyone to jail for Marijuana possession.

It's a simple citation (into traffic court) and released on their written promise to appear.

I'm surprised to hear any state has room in their jails for people arrested for simple marijuana possession. Of course High Times would lead you to believe otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I have to laugh at the hypocrisy of it all. The war on pot has turned into a war on civil rights. The most of the cops I happen to know seem to smoke it as well. One of my friends was working in a bodyshop in the mid-west and the sheriff's duty car was in for repairs. My buddy found a 1/4 smoked joint in the ashtray of the front seat. He smiled and fired the baby up, smoked the whole thing. When the sheriff showed up to pick up the vehicle, he remarked the car looked real clean, my buddy smiled and said, yes sir, both inside and out, nearly cracking up. The goverment has turned the pot issue into politic's, creating a climate of fear and big-brotherism. We're paying the tab all the way around. Tax it, make it legal for consenting adults, and use the profits to fight real crime. There are many medical uses for cannabis, but doctors are scared to proscribe it. My mother had glaucoma that eventually destroyed her sight. Like it our not many of my fellow Vietnam veterans smoke to relieve the anxiety and symptoms of PTSD, and were not talking Homeless vets. Better than the toxic pills the throw at you, or drinking your self to death,which BTW is legal. One day the sheep will look up. Nuff said..........

Gib187th
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem is that lots of people think that no one does time for simple possession
View Quote

I've been in the taking people to jail business for nearly 9 years. I have [b]never[/b] taken anyone to jail for Marijuana possession.

It's a simple citation (into traffic court) and released on their written promise to appear.

I'm surprised to hear any state has room in their jails for people arrested for simple marijuana possession. Of course High Times would lead you to believe otherwise.
View Quote

It happens, maybe not in your state. I have personally been arrested twice (taken to jail, spent the night in jail, posted bond, etc..) for possession of tiny amounts - a joint or less.

The last time was perhaps 7 or 8 years ago. Here is how it went:
Dropped off a friend at his house, drove down the street and was literally surrounded by cop cars. After getting the spotlights in the face, and guns drawn on me, thrown to the ground, the cops say they had reports of gunshots in the neighborhood and wanted to search my car for a gun. Like a dumbass, I said sure, I didn't have a gun on me, I didn't have anything to do with the gunshots. I figured they would search the car, find no guns, call me in and find no warrants and let me go as they said they would do. Of course they found a tiny amount of marijuana in the car that I didn't even know I had. They weighed it later and it was less than half a gram. That was enough for the overzealous cops to "take me in". So I spend about 36 hours in jail, then get released on $5000 bond with a court date. My lawyer tore their case apart and after $3000 in legal fees, case was dropped and my record expunged. All this over half a gram of weed. Good thing I had money for a real lawyer. This is Texas by the way which has some of the worst marijuana laws.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#37]
The Drug War, The Gun War and The Terror War are All One in the Same War.

Divide And Conquer.

With the War on Terror Killing Two Birds with one Stone.
The Patriot Act, The One that blew a hole in the Constitution.

Liberation Day, Saturday May 04, 2002
[url]www.cures-not-wars.org/[/url]

Truth Will Liberate Earth.

The government wouldn’t legalize it because it's an illegal/hidden source of Money (i.e.)
for covert CIA operation’s, Iran / Contra’s.

Drug’s and it's problems should be treated the same as Alcohol and Tobacco.

The War has Always been a PRETEXT for Racism and Control of People.
Like when the government tried to Deport John Lennon For old British Drug violation.

[b]Simple Possession[/b] of Any DRUG Is No Longer jail offense in Calif by Prop 36 voted in by the Voter's.

The Gun War Like The Drug War, The Government wants to Make Simple Possession of an GUN without a license Illegal, A [b]PRETEXT[/b] for Confiscation.

^[size=1]
[url]www.cures-not-wars.org/[/url] Truth Will Liberate Earth.
[url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]Allege 1993 [b]feinstein/hci[/b] master plan
for TOTAL Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.
[url]http://www.DigitalAngel.net/[/url]Revelation 13:18  ID-GPS-MONEY Implant Micro-chip

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth , Liberate Your Mind
We Are At WAR
[/size=1]
FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:53:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Around here simple possesion is good for 10 days in the county lockup.

METH is the real problem.

that shit is NOT good for ya.

Don't bogart that joint my friend,pass it over to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:54:27 AM EDT
[#39]
People go to jail all the time for minor possession cases around here. That is just the way it is. Most of the possession cases I have seen equate to pure stupidity; speeding 20 over the limit, booming your stereo (a well publicized local ordinance) while smoking a joint are not the hallmarks of a rocket scientist.

Most get probation, depending on their criminal history. DWI with marihuana possession tacked on (seems to be dope of some kind seems to be involved, along with alcohol in about 20% of the DWIs I have worked) will really get the driver hammered (pun intended) by our local prosecutor. In my personal experience, someone who has just been smoking dope is not okay to drive, but usually isn't as much of a threat to others as someone who is drunk. However, someone who is stoned AND drunk, or on any other drugs for that matter, is very dangerous and can often be very unpredictable.

Most of the marihuana in our area is from Mexico. Our proximity to the border
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:58:39 AM EDT
[#40]
From another board. quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
jail them all. i work with a pot head they are worthless.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have to disagree 100%. As a State Trooper I have found over the past 12 years that alcohol causes much more problems than marijuana
Alcohol/DUI
Alcohol/Domestic Violence
Alcohol/Fatal Crashes
Alcohol/Road Rage
Alcohol/Medical Cost
Alcohol/Insurance Cost
I would vote yes to make pot legal and yes to make alcohol illegal. If you don't get high at work, then it's no ones business.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:25:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Agree with BoWilliams

Tate
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#42]
BoWilliams - you are a smart man. I would vote to make pot legal and alcohol illegal. The stupidest things I've ever seen people do were on alcohol. I'm sure alot of people regret the things they have done on alcohol as well. This would also be a huge blow to all the hypocrites out, make their drug of choice illegal (again) and see how they feel about that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top