Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2002 7:46:17 AM EDT
I saw discussion of this in the SBS Hero thread.  I tried to post this the other day, but it may not have worked.  I can't comment on the veracity of this, it was going around the email chain on the Army side.  I removed the originator's name and rank.

Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 10:56 AM Subject: Neil Roberts, Navy SEAL I think Roberts memory is worth more than Bronze Star.

"I apologize in advance for the lengthy e-mail, but I have just gotten back from Neil's funeral. There were over 1,000 people in attendance and needless to say, it was moving. I had the opportunity to speak with several individuals, both in the Teams and in the Agency, who were in country at the time of Neil's death and who had also viewed the Predator video as well as another video. The following is merely a sanitized compilation of the conversations I had and tid-bits from Fitz's eulogy.

The usual disclaimers apply and there is some stuff I need to leave out.

And I know I will not do the story justice, nor could I ever hope to.

Supposedly...as the helo was on final, it came under fire. An air-crewman fell off the back ramp and was dangling by his tether. Neil reached down to pull him back in. An RPG hit the nose of the helo (didn't explode) and
the pilot subsequently made an evasive maneuver. Neil tumbled out (the
air-crewman may have also mistakenly pulled Neil out while Neil was trying to recover him or that may have not even of happened -  doesn't matter - bottom line, Neil fell from about 10ft and was on the ground alone). It is unclear as to whether or not the guys on board the helo knew that they lost a man. Helo peeled away, developed hydraulic problems, and crash-landed about a click away.

Neil turns on his beacon and low crawls to a position under fire. Neil takes the offensive, firing and maneuvering against the enemy and
allegedly storms a machine-gun nest. Neil was shot several times, but continued the fight. Apparently, the Predator video shows the mortal wound and Neil falls to the ground (~an hour after he fell from the helo).
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#1]
He had expended all of his ammo, both primary and secondary, as well as his grenades. The video has Neil point shooting with his pistol at very close ranges to the enemy.

He was dead by the time the enemy arrived and dragged him off. Not sure on whether they intended to use Neil's body as a decoy for an ambush or as a bargaining chip or for another Somalia street dragging episode.
Doesn't really matter. Then the boys came. The force was a mix of operators and arrived about 2 hours later. As they expected, they
encounter significant hostile fire, but returned fire immediately.

Apparently, a lot of undisclosed heroics occurred that night and there was
significant payback (and I mean significant). Several of our brothers were
wounded, two of which were flown back to CONUS (one of whom may lose a
foot).

People are talking CMH level heroics - we'll see. After fierce fighting
and a valiant rescue, Neil's body was recovered, as were the other dead,
and all were evacuated. Payback has continued in various ways and that is
the stuff I can't go into. But rest assured, what comes around, is going
around. Neil went down fighting and took many of those @^%$ with him (an
unconfirmed number). The ridge upon which he died is now called Roberts
Ridge. He was post-humously awarded the Bronze Star with a V and a Purple
Heart.

Neil is now SpecOps folklore and a legend in the Teams for the rest of
eternity.

Neil also left a wife (Patty) and an 18-month old son (Nathan). I believe
Patty intends to move to Pennsylvania to be with her family (and as of
this afternoon, Neil will also be in York, PA). Guys, I hope this helps -
it has been cathartic for me, especially after the press has royally
screwed this one up (as expected). In the near future, several of us who
knew Neil and his family plan to work on the scholarship fund to ensure
that Nathan has anything he needs. More to follow on that-"
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
God Bless Roberts and his family , they are the reason we live in such a great country .

A true American Hero !!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
rangedog keep us posted on the scholarship fund. This is something I would like to donate to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top