Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/2/2010 10:19:39 PM EDT
In your opinion what is the best sci-fi book ever written?

I just read Ender's Game and I really liked it, but it wasn't jaw dropping great like a lot people say.
Reading the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis right now and gonna read Hyperion next.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Gee I wonder what Arfcom will say...
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably Dune.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My bet is the hive's consensus will be Starship Troopers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Dune

/thread
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a good one
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a good one

I thought it was kinda meh as a sci-fi novel, honestly.

As a treatise on several of the author's beliefs with solid backing and explanation all the way around though, I found it extremely good and quite convincing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#7]
enders game.

/thread
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know about the best, but the Lensmen series was totally awesome.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Im pretty sure Ender's Game is the only book Ive read twice in one day

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't name just one...  But here's a short list for me...

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Armor by John Steakley
Ringworld by Larry Niven
Artifact (can't remember the author's name) Edited:  Authors name is W. Michael Gear  
Berzerker Wars by Fred Saberhagen
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, Starship Troopers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
My fav:

"Under the City of Angels". Wonder scenes, great technology, fantastic dreams of getting away from it all.

After that, "Startide Rising"

..............................but what do you expect? I'm marine biology!
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#13]
What the fuck is with all these retards "/thread"ing this like it's going to end the thread? Your opinion is not the only one silly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#14]
First you must define what is "sci-fi"
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Read Ender's Game last week. Liked it a lot, didn't love it.
Reading The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis right now and Slaughter House Five is sitting here on the table next inline.

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Snow Crash was pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Heinlein's collection of short stories. What is truly unique about them is that they all exist in the same universe/time line. Quite remarkable.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Snow Crash was pretty damn cool.

Heard that a few times now, I guess I will download the free sample right now on my gaypad.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What the fuck is with all these retards "/thread"ing this like it's going to end the thread? Your opinion is not the only one silly.

because my opinion is so influential that it /s the thread
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a good one

As a treatise on several of the author's beliefs with solid backing and explanation all the way around though, I found it extremely good and quite convincing.

Yeah, but that's like all of Heinlein's work. You do get tired of him screaming at you through his characters.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yet here we are, still posting
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Starship Troopers
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#23]
"The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman

"Ender's Game" was pretty cool but I clued into the plot twister well before it was revealed.  Still good, though.

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Contact.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sticking with Dune, but Neuromancer was pretty good too... just surprised no one mentioned it yet...
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i am not ashamed that I am a helping out a thread with a great recommendation unlike others who come to poop on it
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Starship Troopers

a close second is Armor

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm sticking with Dune, but Neuromancer was pretty good too... just surprised no one mentioned it yet...

I'm reading Neuromancer now. I'm desperately waiting for it to get good, because if not I'll have to face the fact that I 'just don't get it'.

Seriously, I can barely follow this thing. It's just a touch to styled for my tastes, I guess. Snowcrash was about a thousand times better and, so far as I can tell, it's the same basic premise and story.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Starship Troopers
Dune
Foundation
The Ship Who Sang
Enders Game
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but that's like all of Heinlein's work. You do get tired of him screaming at you through his characters.

So I've heard. Fortunately I'm not a Heinlein fan, I've just read a few selections of his. Liked them, though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

butthurt poster is butthurt
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Retards who don't understand how /thread works. You don't get to /thread your own comment, you only /thread someone else's comment, and then only if it's truly thread-endingly awesome/succinct.

Example:

Guy 1: What's the difference between Hitler and Obama?
Guy 2: Hitler got the Olympics.
Guy 3: /thread
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#33]
/dumbargument
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I've not read many, but that Stephen King one with the virus and the walkin dude ranks right up there. The Stand? Yeah, that's it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I read a sci-fi book a few years back but I can't remember what it was called.

It was about this woman who joined a space marines type organization. The marines get all sorts of cybernetic enhancements. On here first mission, things really go to shit but she proves herself. She then fast tracks and ends up in the Delta SEAL ranger Elite guard of the universe and gets even more gooder enhancements that allows her to slow down time in her own head. After another shity mission where almost everyone dies, she calls it quits. Then while living on a remote planet, pirates come and kill everything she loves. She then makes it her life mission to hunt down the pirates. Somewhere along the line she gets an A.I. stuck in her head.

Anyways, that may not be the best sci-fi out there, but it is the one I enjoyed the most. Does anyone have any Idea what I'm talking about? What was that book called?
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Have any of you actually read Starship Troopers?

FUCKING SNOOZEFEST.

Without a doubt,  it is the most overrated book in that genre.

LOTR series is almost untouchable. Actually, it is. Sorry.
2nd place, would be DUNE.  
3rd place is the DARK TOWER series. Which would be before DUNE, but the ending sucked. Its almost like Stephen King got to the end and said "Fuck it"
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#38]
WASP

By Eric Frank Russell

"Wasp is a 1957 science fiction novel by English author Eric Frank Russell. Since its latest edition, published through Gollancz Science Fiction in 2000, Wasp has become controversial because the protagonist commits acts of terrorism in often humorous fashion.Notable author of the Discworld series of fantasy books, Terry Pratchett, stated that he "can't imagine a funnier terrorists' handbook." Despite this, Wasp is generally considered Russell's best novel.

The title of Wasp comes from the idea that the main character's actions and central purpose mimic that particular insect; just as something as small as a wasp can terrorize a much larger creature in control of a car to the point of causing a crash and killing the occupants, so the defeat of an enemy may be wrought via psychological and guerrilla warfare by a small, but deadly, protagonist in their midst."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp_(novel)

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I read a sci-fi book a few years back but I can't remember what it was called.

It was about this woman who joined a space marines type organization. The marines get all sorts of cybernetic enhancements. On here first mission, things really go to shit but she proves herself. She then fast tracks and ends up in the Delta SEAL ranger Elite guard of the universe and gets even more gooder enhancements that allows her to slow down time in her own head. After another shity mission where almost everyone dies, she calls it quits. Then while living on a remote planet, pirates come and kill everything she loves. She then makes it her life mission to hunt down the pirates. Somewhere along the line she gets an A.I. stuck in her head.

Anyways, that may not be the best sci-fi out there, but it is the one I enjoyed the most. Does anyone have any Idea what I'm talking about? What was that book called?

Off and on, it sounds like Sassinak.......but that didn't have the cybernetics or the AI.

Sassinak is good......up to a point. Then it encounters something I don't like about McCaffrey books: they tie into the same universe one way or another and Sassinak does it in a big way by encountering another book from a different view point. I felt rather cheated at that point.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sassinak is good......up to a point. Then it encounters something I don't like about McCaffrey books: they tie into the same universe one way or another and Sassinak does it in a big way by encountering another book from a different view point. I felt rather cheated at that point.

Why would encountering another novel's events from a different viewpoint via a character who was also a witness be inherently bad/make you feel cheated? That sounds like an awesome idea unless the author completely screws it up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Another vote for Dune.

The other titles that have been mentioned in this thread are good, and worth reading, but Dune is a masterpiece.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I see a lot of classics, but I have to go with the Hyperion books by Dan Simmons. He also wrote the Illium and Olympos, which, while not as riveting as the first Hyperion books, were an incredible concept.

Shrike owns all things:

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would encountering another novel's events from a different viewpoint via a character who was also a witness be inherently bad/make you feel cheated? That sounds like an awesome idea unless the author completely screws it up.

Because you already know what's going to happen!

Add to it that essentially I bought the same book twice and didn't know it, I wasn't told that the other book was part of deal. That's what really makes feel cheated.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Tagging for book titles to read
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#45]
American Gods, by Neil Gaiman, was pretty awesome too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because you already know what's going to happen!

Add to it that essentially I bought the same book twice and didn't know it, I wasn't told that the other book was part of deal. That's what really makes feel cheated.

I dunno, it depends on the meat of the story to me, not the end... we all know how WWII ends but that doesn't make a really good WWII movie lame just 'cause we know the Allies are gonna win. Just as a broad example.

That said, your second line edit makes your statement make more sense.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Neuromancer

Starship Troopers

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Enders Game and the whole Ender series.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:I dunno, it depends on the meat of the story to me, not the end... we all know how WWII ends but that doesn't make a really good WWII movie lame just 'cause we know the Allies are gonna win. Just as a broad example.........

People get really upset about spoilers.....which is why I am being vague about the subject at hand. It's a similar situation.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Antares Dawn.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top