Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2002 7:13:30 AM EDT
   I have been reading a few threads dealing with a certain hog hunting issue. Thread was too damn long so I started another.

From the responses that the tree huggers and bambi protectors. It is obvious that they are suffering from the same illness that the anti-gunners are suffering from .......MISINFORMATION.

Before you guys make yourself look like idiots in front of your ar15 brothers. You might want to ask a few questions before you try and flame somebody for basically providing a service to the community by dispatching feral hogs in his area.

I understand that your concerns are about true ignorant non-caring hunters who take game illegally or immorally. But your information (like the anti-gun movement) is tainted by sensationalistic garbage who blindly stop at nothing to get their opinion across. They twist facts and ignore others that do nothing but make their position look high-handed at best.

This is not a flame to people with conscience and purpose. But to all you NERDS with pink fuzzy balls who don't have enough info to know what the hell you are talking about. This is a gun website glorifying the presence of one of the greatest battlefield weapons in our time. What the hell are you (anti-killing stuff)people doing here? Did you not think that blowing the shit out of something or someone might come up?

If you don't like what is on your computer then change the channel stupid ....... but don't come here and press your radical views on us. Hunting or necessary dispatching of problematic animals have been around a lot longer than your bullshit save the anything campaigns.

Wasn't Jesus a fisherman at one time? A little help here as I am unsure. If he was then the PITA pissants have got a bigger opponent than they can imagine.........

Edited to say:  I am starting this one and finishing it....[:D]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
According to Norman McLean Jesus was a fisherman, however he was a dry-fly catch and release fisherman.

No seriously, hog hunting IS a public service.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
    From the responses that the tree huggers and bambi protectors

you guys make yourself look like idiots in front of your ar15 brothers.

your information (like the anti-gun movement) is tainted by sensationalistic garbage who blindly stop at nothing to get their opinion across.

all you NERDS with pink fuzzy balls who don't have enough info to know what the hell you are talking about.

What the hell are you (anti-killing stuff)people doing here? Did you not think that blowing the shit out of something or someone might come up?

If you don't like what is on your computer then change the channel stupid ....... but don't come here and press your radical views on us.

(and) bullshit save the anything campaigns.

[:D]
View Quote

Yeah! [^]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Thanks for clearing that issue up for me Schnert.

If Jesus was a fisherman, it seems that PITA's argument is now a religous issue also. Any anti-hunters want to comment on this?
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I largely stayed out of that thread because of my ignorance on the subject.  However, I do take issue with inhumane killing.  By that I mean that I think people should make their best effort to kill an animal as quickly as possible, rather than subject it to extensive or unnecessary suffering.  However, I did not criticize him for that (or anything else for that matter), because feral hogs are not something I have ever had to deal with.  I'm not at all against the killing of feral dogs, cats, hogs, etc.  

Sorry if you don't like my "radical views".  Last time I checked, people were allowed to disagree.

EDITED for clarity and spelling.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Jesus was not only a avid fisherman, but also cooked and ate fish, lamb, beef, and fowl, if He was your typical Jew of the First Century AD, who ate a typical Jewish diet.

Which He was.

So anyone who says that meat-eaters are less moral people than vegetarians, doesn't know what the Hell they're talking about.

Animals were made for humans in every respect, not just as beasts of burden, pets, campfire companions, etc.

Eric The(GoodEnoughForJesus,GoodEnoughForMe!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#7]
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Chimborazo
I largely stayed out of that thread because of my ignorance on the subject. However, I do take issue with inhumane killing. By that I mean that I think people should make their best effort to kill an animal as quickly as possible, rather than subject it to extensive or unnecessary suffering. However, I did not criticize him for that (or anything else for that matter), because feral hogs are not something I have ever had to deal with. I'm not at all against the killing of feral dogs, cats, hogs, etc.

Sorry if you don't like my "radical views". Last time I checked, people were allowed to disagree.

EDITED for clarity and spelling.

[ Edited By CHIMBORAZO on 3/18/2002 11:39:54 AM ]
View Quote

I guess you have a problem with mouse traps then also. By the way how do you get rid of your mice? Do you pay a little mouse detective to get little mouse photographs of him with his little mouse girlfriend and run him out of town by threatening to use the photographs against him?

A mouse trap is pretty inhumane in my opinion but you know what. Who the hell cares!!! Its a mouse that has no purpose but to destroy property or pass disease along. If the only mouse trap we had available slowly stretched it apart until it became MICE it would still be an acceptable means of pest control.

Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I've also stayed out of the thread mentioned. Don't get me wrong; I hunt religiously, mostly for the spiritual cleansing it affords, and of course for the meat. I also hunt groundhogs and crow, and if a pigeon flutters within shotgun range while I'm afield, it's going to get shot at. I don't eat any of them, however, and I understand sport hunting/culling fully. Hell, the whole hog hunting thing sounds like a great time to me; I wish I was there with Redgoat, carbine in hand, pistol on my hip. The departure is that I wouldn't have hunted like he did, emptying a mag at a running herd of pigs, because it's not my way. It's Redgoat's, and it's fine, but it's not mine, so therein lies the difference. I wouldn't have said anything to RG, let alone chastise him, but if it's legal and safe, then power to him. Blaze away, RedGoat, and shoot as many as you can, but understand that that's not my style, and I respect it, so long as you respect mine. I just don't have the freezer space for more than one good sized hog, so I'd shoot at only one at a time. Clean kills are more fun for me, because it's more in line with my take on sportsmanship.

Best of luck,
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#10]
blackeye: there are other ways to catch mice. I use live traps, the mouse goes for the food and the trap closes. In the morning I let the mouse go.

I also use some of those pest control devices that emit high frequency noise. They have been VERY effective.

We live up against a farm field, and I only catch 2 or 3 mice a year.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I guess you have a problem with mouse traps then also. By the way how do you get rid of your mice? Do you pay a little mouse detective to get little mouse photographs of him with his little mouse girlfriend and run him out of town by threatening to use the photographs against him?
View Quote

A mouse trap is pretty inhumane in my opinion but you know what. Who the hell cares!!! Its a mouse that has no purpose but to destroy property or pass disease along. If the only mouse trap we had available slowly stretched it apart until it became MICE it would still be an acceptable means of pest control.
View Quote

A valid point indeed.  I've never had a mouse problem (I guess because we have cats), but I know that if I did, I would use the snap traps, NOT the sticky ones.  Pest/feral animal control probably can't ever be totally humane.  I'm not trying to take a moral high ground here.  I'm simply stating that I would deal with the situation as humanely as possible.  That's just my opinion, and I don't look down on others for their opinions (especially when I have no experience at all in the context of the discussion).
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
blackeye: there are other ways to catch mice. I use live traps, the mouse goes for the food and the trap closes. In the morning I let the mouse go.

I also use some of those pest control devices that emit high frequency noise. They have been VERY effective.

Av.
View Quote

Hey, even better.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Avalon01

Av.
View Quote

Where do you think the stupid mouse goes when you LET IT GO? It goes to the next house next door spreading disease. Does letting the mouse go make sense now? The mouse spreads disease and needs to die. Ever hear of the PLAGUE? I guess you forgot about that. But hey as long as you did the politically correct pink fuzzy ball thing. Then thats all that matters!

Edited so nobody calls me a dick [:D]

Or it might go to Orlando and open up a theme park that drains the money and life out of every parent in America.

Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Some hog info, Feral hogs can be found in 24 states, with roughly half of the nation's estimated 4 million feral hogs found in Texas. Now does anyone doubt that 4 million hogs can do some serious crop damage ?

Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Av.
View Quote

My wife prefers a Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.

My eldest son was still an infant when I came home from work one day to find my wife sitting on the couch with her legs curled up under her.  She pointed to our dictionary laying in the middle of the floor and said, "Get rid of that please."  I lifted up the dictionary and found a completely flat mouse.  She found it heading for our son's crib, picked up the first thing she could get her hands on and slammed it down on the critter.  I thought about having it stuffed and mounted, but decided against it.  [:D]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#16]
blackeye: last time I checked the CDC has not issued any warnings for the plauge.

If they did, I would kill the mice. Otherwise, they go free.

I have no reason to kill them. I live next to  a field. Mice are expected, they have lived here long before me.

Dosen't mean they need to be killed. At least in my case.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Some hog info, Feral hogs can be found in 24 states, with roughly half of the nation's estimated 4 million feral hogs found in Texas. Now does anyone doubt that 4 million hogs can do some serious crop damage ?

View Quote

As I said, I am all for killing them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Chimborazo

Dude, you really need to chill. Just trying to have a discussion and frankly, you're being a dick.

EDITED TO ADD: I hope you don't approach anti's in this manner. It's not a very effective way to argue and make your point.
View Quote

Check revised post Chimborazo.......point taken.

I approach anti-common sense with disgust and disrespect.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Leaving the mouse tangent for a moment...

I understand Red Goat's issue with the pigs.  I hunt under the same circumstances except for another four legged rat, the whitetail deer.

I currently have the privilege of hunting in Northern Michigan with a buddy of mine, whose family farms over 1000 acres.  Primarily apples, pears, cucumbers, and corn (for the beef cattle).  Every year among the dozen, or so, of us we take around 25+ deer off the farm and surrounding public land during hunting season.  Then they take an unknown (to me) number throughout the rest of the year using crop damage permits.  All the guys and gals have taken a phenomenal number of deer in their lifetime.  My buddy just hit #72 this year.  He's 32 years old.  The first year I was flabbergasted at the no quarter attitude they took against the deer.  It's a poor year when there isn't a dozen or more deer hanging in the barn by the end of opening day.

Then they explained the situation in economic terms.  Each deer is eating hundreds of dollars of produce a year, doing irreparable damage to their fruit trees.  So in essence they are "farming" the deer and every one they take they paid for.  Next year there are always more.

It is also a very fun way to hunt.  We push the fields, like in small game hunting.

Once I heard the situation with the hogs I understood completely.  By the way, those fruit fed deer are the tastiest I have ever tried.  Any one who says they don't like venison, because it's too gamey, have not had fruit fed whitetail.

My hunting buddy has been talking about a pig hunt.  Maybe we need to work out a hunt exchange program.

Ian
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Never did hunting but years ago the neighbors did a lot of hunting.  Their goal was to down the deer or wild boars with one shot.  

Although he required multiple shots, at least Red Goat is eating the kill.  I've heard that wild boars are a nuisance in many areas of the Caliban, since we've killed off all the wolves.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Check revised post Chimborazo.......point taken.
View Quote

Thanks...deleting my post.

I approach [b][blue]anti-common sense[/b][/blue] with disgust and disrespect.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#22]

One more point that needs to be brought up is people don't understand the big picture when it comes to hunting. The very name of the sport describes what I-we enjoy the most. HUNTING... Looking for wildlife to take for consumption....Hunters do not kill everytime they set foot in the woods or it would called KILLING. "Honey I am going killing and I will be back in time for lunch".
   If I am going deer hunting, I will run across many different kinds of wildlife in my search for a buck. My common reaction to this event is to use my scope to get a better look at the squirrel, fox, turkey or whatever it maybe. I love running up on stuff like that in the wooods. Anti-hunters will never see nature like I have except maybe on TV. Hunters do not blow the crap out of everything that moves while deer hunting or they will never see a deer in all probability.
    It is not ALL about blasting the balls off a buck at 100yds. It is about trying to figure out by trails and rubs and scrapes how this animal (who is not dumb IMHO) is going to act at a certain time of day in a certain part of the terrain I am hunting. It ain't rocket science but it ain't easy either folks. Deer have made me look stupid on more occassions than I will ever admit. So I am not harvesting a dumb animal. That is why we don't have cow hunting season [:D]
    I am a hunter, plain and simple, who gets lucky enough to harvest an animal that I have matched wits with and won.......this time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top