Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2002 8:02:20 PM EDT
While the FBI says they are "sorry", they apparantly don't feel responsible for helping to pay for the medical care for Joseph Schultz, since it was a "good shoot"

Considering he was shot with an M4, which is a brother to the AR-15, maybe we should use out site's Brother's in Need Funds.  [;D]

A fund has been established for people who want to help pay for the medical expenses of Joe Schultz.  He's the 20-year-old mistakenly shot by the FBI during a traffic stop.

Schultz, whose condition had been downgraded to critical but stable, may have been reaching for his seat belt when he was shot.

Those wishing to donate may take their contribution to any First Union National Bank branch.

The right side of Schultz' jaw bone is shattered, and a bullet remains lodged in the side of his jaw. Schultz' nasal passages are also damaged.  More surgery is scheduled Wednesday.

FBI spokesman Barry A. Maddox said the agent involved in the shooting has been assigned to duties not likely to involve armed confrontation.  Maddox would not identify the agent.

"We're very sorry it happened, and we wish it never would have happened," Maddox said. "It'll be investigated to bring out the facts, and those will be turned over the Department of Justice."

View Quote

[IMG]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/paulbritton/pics/FBI%20victim.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell get the kid a Lawyer!

Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#3]
This guys family should be SCREAMING for a lawsuit!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
nice sentiment but i think the brothers in arms fund should be reserved for our board members.

If there is a fund setup for him i would be willing to donate.

mike
View Quote

I was being sarcastic.  

Why should anyone of us need to donate?  The FBI had the bad shoot, they should pay.

If I blasted the neighbor kid by accident, do you think I'd have to pay?   YOU BET.  (and I'd be in jail)
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#5]
When he is talking with attorneys, no doubt he can get his medical expenses advanced if he picks one with plenty of resources.  I envision any number of firms drooling for this case.

He will get a NICE settlement.  The government would be more stupid than we can imagine to take this to trial.

In fact, I'm guessing that while there are laws that on their face may make it seem hard to get special damages, when you're in the custody of the government at gunpoint, that creates a special relationship.  Could we have a lawyer chime in here?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess you all don't remember the Supreme Court had ruled 2 years ago that Federal Agents cannot be held legally responsible for their actions while on duty. This was a result of the Lon Horiuchi case.

The feds are immune. There will be no settlement. Equal protection under the law no longer applies. How much more are you people going to take?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Imbroglio

I believe that you can not sue individual agents but you can sue the FBI.  Maybe we can get an attorney on the board to respond to this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top