Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2002 3:55:01 AM EDT
Lookout here comes trouble... nah, I am coming down to Palm Bay for 7 days of R&R. Staying with a friend and aside from hitting Disney/Universal, I would like some suggestions on the following:

1. Do you need a License/Permit to shoot Pistols at a range? I would like to see if I can find a range where pistols can be rented to determine the best fit for my friend.

2. Either yes or no to above, can you recommend a good dealer up to 2 hours radius of Palm Bay, that has decent inventory, good prices/service?

3. Any tips/advice on the licensing process? She has been a resident for 1 year now. I do not think she will want to carry concealed, mostly for home defense.

4. If a safety course is or is not mandatory, can you recommend a good instructor around the general area?

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Lookout here comes trouble... nah, I am coming down to Palm Bay for 7 days of R&R. Staying with a friend and aside from hitting Disney/Universal, I would like some suggestions on the following:

1. Do you need a License/Permit to shoot Pistols at a range?
View Quote

No

2. Either yes or no to above, can you recommend a good dealer up to 2 hours radius of Palm Bay, that has decent inventory, good prices/service?
View Quote

No, but it's a shooter friendly area. Shouldn't be too much trouble to find a place.

There is a nice range in Malabar and another in Okeechobee, both not far away. A bit to the north in Cocoa there was at least a couple of shops with a modest inventory. Self Defense in Jensen Beach, to the south, also has a decent inventory, but no range. Ed from Gunsmoke Enterprises [url]http://www.ar15.tv/[/url] is in Okeechobee, he can either help you or point you in the right direction.

3. Any tips/advice on the licensing process? She has been a resident for 1 year now. I do not think she will want to carry concealed, mostly for home defense.
View Quote

No licensing required unless your friend wants to carry concealed. If she does, the process is fairly simple.

4. If a safety course is or is not mandatory, can you recommend a good instructor around the general area?
View Quote

Not required but always a good idea. Can't recommend anyone outside of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

Why don't you post this over at Florida Shooter's Network, [url]http://pub49.ezboard.com/bfloridashootersnetwork[/url]. You'll get better local knowledge from guys that live up there.

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#2]
taelil,
Florida is a free state, you only need a permit if you want to carry concealed. there are no other restrictive laws like you have in the PRNY. enjoy the sun, go shoot and have fun
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
taelil,
Florida is a free state, you only need a permit if you want to carry concealed. there are no other restrictive laws like you have in the PRNY. enjoy the sun, go shoot and have fun
View Quote

Yeah, where free until Reno becomes governor. [puke]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]www.packing.org[/url]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#5]
i'm originally from florida, where you don't need purchasing coupons, or licenses (called permits by NYS). however,if you make a purchase: when you try to bring it back to NYS you'll have problems getting it on your licenses, unless it's recieved by a dealer.(lot of gray areas), and a dealer can't sell to you because of residency. if someone buys it for you it's a "straw man purchase".
Otherwise its no big deal to bring a firearmto FL.
THOSE OF YOU WHO CAN JUST BUY A HANDGUN ANYPLACE, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE WITHOUT THE STATES OK, MUST PROTECT THOSE RIGHTS! IT SUCKS TO SPEND 2-3 DAYS AT BEST, PLUS TRAVEL AND FEES TO BUY A WEAPON THAT YOU ARE OTHERWISE LEAGALLY ABLE TO OWN!
lots of place to shoot, hunt and fish. get in on a wild hog hunt. you won't be dissappointed!
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Here’s a link to some [url=http://cs.fit.edu/~ellis/ThreeGun/3gun-top.html] info[/url] on the range in Palm Bay/Malabar, including a map to help you find it.

Enjoy your visit.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys thanks for the responses and info, I appreciate it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top