Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2002 7:28:03 PM EDT
I'm getting my FFL and they called today. The agent is going to drive 5 hours to come to my house to interview me, etc. Anyone had a similar experience? What can I expect?

Oh my God. Black choppers...Circling now...bullhorns. Oh shit, where is that damn tinfoil hat? I can feel the waves hitting m-m-my b-r-r-ain. Oooooooooooohhh. Surrender your guns. surrender your gunnnnsssss.....

Seriously, though, I am not kidding. Anyone been through this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
My uncle has, and so have two good friends of mine.  Not a big deal, really.  Put on your best coffee and just be yourself...as long as that's a GOOD thing, mind you!

The agent's job is just to ensure that you're a decent guy who doesn't seem like the type who wants to get into gun running or go out in a blaze of glory or anything like that.

Oh, and the interview would NOT be a good time to start asking about rulings on stuff that we'd LIKE to see ruled as legal that currently isn't.
The only question along those lines that I'd ask about is how the NFA registry update (under the half million dollar grant from Congress) is going.   I wouldn't even appear to be overly interested about that,  but it would show that you are reasonably aware of what's going on with the BATF and since they'll be an agency you have a direct responsibility to, that's a good thing. Much better than being totally ignorant, anyway.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Well dont know if this is pertinent anymore or not, but when I had my FFL 10 years ago they came and visited me and mostly wanted to be sure I knew how to keep the records.
I am thinking about applying for one again as I gave mine up after Clinton took office and jacked up the fee and said they were going to weed out the little guys like me.
Did you post store hours or are you by appointment only?
Can anyone with a FFL tell me, does a firearm have to be shipped to the address on your FFL or can it be shipped to where you work if the gun business is not you full time job?
I used to do that all the time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
While we're at it...also, does anyone know if you have to sell a certain number of guns a year, be actively in business, have a storefront, etc.  I have heard in the past yes to all these questions, but don't know if it has loosened up any.  I assume that it's still a no-no to just order for yourself and friends.  I mean, if you are going to sell guns, they want to make sure you sell a lot of them?  That makes no sense, but anyhoo they didn't ask me...lol.  Thanks for the info folks
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't need a storefront. You do need to adhere to your local zoning ordinances. That is the biggest issue for selling out of your home.

According to ATF regs posted on their site you must have an FFL for each address at which you plan to do business. I believe the gun must be shipped to the address you list on your FFL.
I think you are expected to make money and operate as a business. I think that is an issue for renewal but I don't know how much they track that.
I plan on building a bus over the next year or two, expanding into gun parts and accessories, hopefully mail order as well and getting out of the doc bus. I figure it will open alot of doors to have an FFL.

Hey, I'm the one asking the questions here[+]:D]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
....and just be yourself...as long as that's a GOOD thing, mind you!

CJ
View Quote

hahaha. Thanks alot, CJ.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't sweat the petty shit and don't pet the sweaty shit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Operation Forward Trace
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Operation Forward Trace
View Quote

I don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]

I plan on building a bus over the next year or two, expanding into gun parts and accessories, hopefully mail order as well and getting out of the doc bus. I figure it will open alot of doors to have an FFL.
[/quote]

I don't know what part of the state you're in, but we need that type of business up north. There's very few places to buy guns. There's Walmarts & K-Marts, but not too many gun shops, and the ones there are, don't have much inventory, especially handguns. Parts are almost non-existant, as are gunsmiths. There's not a big population base up here in the boonies, but those who do live here are pretty much into guns to one degree or another. Every year during deer season, I get a couple requests from visiting hunters to fix something that broke on their deer rifle. I'm a locksmith, and I'm pretty well known locally as a serious "gun nut". There's no gunsmiths nearby, and when a hunter with a problem asks around at bait shops, gas stations, etc., for somebody to fix their problem, lots of locals refer them to me. But I don't have an FFL. Many of these problems are easy fixes, but without that FFL, I won't mess with it, other than giving free advice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
[url]www.boogieonline.com/revolution/firearms/enforce/ferris.html[/url]

This operation still continues.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Operation Forward Trace... the Reader's Digest version... they go to manufacturers of such weapons as AR-15 type and Mini-14 rifles, and a few other "bad guns". They get the names of distributors who bought them... from there, the names of FFL's who bought them.  From the FFL, they copy his bound book, the 4473's, and are actively making a list of individual gun owners who have "bad guns".  Yes, this is illegal, it is specifically spelled out in the law as illegal, ATF has many times been told by congress it is illegal, they are to cease and desist, and yet they are doing it.

If I am in error here, someone please correct me, but this is my understanding of Operation Forward Trace.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Operation Forward Trace... the Reader's Digest version... they go to manufacturers of such weapons as AR-15 type and Mini-14 rifles, and a few other "bad guns". They get the names of distributors who bought them... from there, the names of FFL's who bought them.  From the FFL, they copy his bound book, the 4473's, and are actively making a list of individual gun owners who have "bad guns".  Yes, this is illegal, it is specifically spelled out in the law as illegal, ATF has many times been told by congress it is illegal, they are to cease and desist, and yet they are doing it.

If I am in error here, someone please correct me, but this is my understanding of Operation Forward Trace.
View Quote

This is my beef with the NRA(to which I am a member). They have millions of dollars of our money. Why don't they file suit against such illegal and unconstitutional intrusions? Our battle can only be won in the courts, where in fact, we have few friends unfortunately. However, there is nowhere else to take this fight.
My belief is that they are as interested as the anti's in perpetuating the status quo in order to keep making money. Let's face it. They get plenty of our money and are now just another big business. I'd put them in the same category as the United Way and Red Cross.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#15]
On my last visit to the local shop, an employee told me the ffl of record had to submit a floor plan of his house to get renewal. It might be interesting to note the efforts of this friendly visitor to observe the layout of your pad?
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, the ATF stopped by my house several months ago when I was going for my C&R License, they told me to bend over and grab my ankles,[b]waitaminute!!![/b], that was something else, anyhow it seemed to be a friendly visit by a very attractive female agent. They just want to make sure you're not some nutcase I suppose. Hey if I can get a C&R license............
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#17]
waverunner: you should of asked her if she was
married and would you like to ???? [:D]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 3:42:46 AM EDT
[#19]
What?....They call you first before coming?....That's very unusual.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 4:06:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah, the ATF stopped by my house several months ago when I was going for my C&R License, they told me to bend over and grab my ankles,[b]waitaminute!!![/b], that was something else, anyhow it seemed to be a friendly visit by a very attractive female agent. They just want to make sure you're not some nutcase I suppose. Hey if I can get a C&R license............
View Quote

Damn, they came to your house for a C&R?  Must be a NYC thing.  Nobody showed up here for mine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#21]
... Dang, and to think, 12 years ago everyone on my block had one as a novelty.

... How's business [b]drjarhead[/b]?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Okay, I've thought about getting a FFL, too, but have heard so damn many conflicting requirements I don't know what to believe.

(1) I have to have a place of business, which can be my home as long as I am not violating zoning requirements?  So, for instance, I could probably run "marvl's software consulting" from my home, but not a MacDonnel's franchise?

(2) You must be doing it as a real business, which means you must make a profit?  Seems like an awful lot of the large corporations that are traded publically on the stock exchanges are losing millions each year.  So define profit: "At least a dollar a year?"  "At least 100 dollars a year?"  "You must lose at least 1 million a year?"

Can anyone shred some unrefracted light on this?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm getting my FFL and they called today. The agent is going to drive 5 hours to come to my house to interview me, etc. Anyone had a similar experience? What can I expect?
View Quote

That the agent will ring the doorbell urgently and ask to use yor bathroom.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Okay, I've thought about getting a FFL, too, but have heard so damn many conflicting requirements I don't know what to believe.

(1) I have to have a place of business, which can be my home as long as I am not violating zoning requirements?  So, for instance, I could probably run "marvl's software consulting" from my home, but not a MacDonnel's franchise?

(2) You must be doing it as a real business, which means you must make a profit?  Seems like an awful lot of the large corporations that are traded publically on the stock exchanges are losing millions each year.  So define profit: "At least a dollar a year?"  "At least 100 dollars a year?"  "You must lose at least 1 million a year?"

Can anyone shred some unrefracted light on this?
View Quote

Can't say for sure, but I would be willing to bet that the standard is "trying to make a profit"  Like with the IRS.  You can loose money, but you must convince them you are conducting a buisiness.  ie. Financial records, buisiness hours, advertisements.  Certainly, they cannot demand that you make a profit?  

Can anyone comment on this?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

This is my beef with the NRA(to which I am a member). They have millions of dollars of our money. Why don't they file suit against such illegal and unconstitutional intrusions? Our battle can only be won in the courts, where in fact, we have few friends unfortunately. However, there is nowhere else to take this fight.
View Quote

This is when you quit giving your money to the NRA, which gives exactly two craps about your rights as a gun owner unless all you care about is hunting, and join the GOA.  Sad to say, but the NRA is just as bad as the people they claim to be fighting against.  If they did their job and actually fought for the controversial things there would be no reason for them to exist.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#26]
The agent's job is just to ensure that you're a decent guy who doesn't seem like the type who wants to get into gun running or go out in a blaze of glory or anything like that.

Humm...gun running and blaze of glory....has a familiar ring to it for some reason..[thinking] UH_OHHH!!!!![rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's a question I'd like asked -

"What is the ATF's stance on home-based gun repair outfits?"

I'd like to get my FFL and go into some gunsmithing.  I have no interest in being a stocking dealer, just occasional repair and perhaps the odd custom build...

FFZ
[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top