Page / 3
Posted: 3/9/2010 5:43:58 PM EDT
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0923528620100309

U.S. herpes rates remain high - CDC
2:43pm EST

*1 in 6 Americans infected with herpes

*Highest rates found among blacks, women

By JoAnne Allen

WASHINGTON, March 9 (Reuters) - About 16 percent of Americans between the ages of 14 and 49 are infected with genital herpes, making it one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases, U.S. health officials said on Tuesday.

Black women had the highest rate of infection at 48 percent and women were nearly twice likely as men to be infected, according to an analysis by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

About 21 percent of women were infected with genital herpes, compared to only 11.5 percent of men, while 39 percent of blacks were infected compared to about 12 percent for whites, the CDC said.

There is no cure for genital herpes, or herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), which can cause recurrent and painful genital sores and also increases the likelihood of acquiring and transmitting the AIDS virus. It is related to herpes simplex virus 1, or oral herpes, which causes cold sores.

Several drugs are available to treat herpes symptoms and outbreaks, including acyclovir, which is available generically or under the Zovirax brand name, and valacyclovir, known generically as Valtrex –– both made by GlaxoSmithKline PLC <GSK.L>. Ganciclovir, sold as Zirgan, is made by privately-held Sirion Therapeutics, Inc.

The CDC estimates that more than 80 percent of people with genital herpes do not know they are infected.

"The message is herpes is quite common. The symptoms can be often very innocuous," Dr. John Douglas of the CDC said in a teleconference.

"Because herpes is so prevalent it becomes ... a really important reason to use condoms on a consistent and correct basis with all of your partners," Douglas said.

Douglas said the increased rate of infection in blacks is not do to increased risk behavior but likely due to biological factors that make women more susceptible as well as the higher rate of infection within black communities.

The CDC estimates that there are 19 million new sexually transmitted disease infections every year in the United States, costing the health care system about $16 billion annually.

(Editing by Paul Simao)

On that note:

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yet another obsessed prude.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
damn, guess black chicks are out for me then
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
A 1 in 2 chance a black woman has herpes?

Holy moly.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Holy moly.

Now we know why they are always mackin on the white girls, they are hoping their shit won't get rotted off after a little lovin.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Douglas said the increased rate of infection in blacks is not do to increased risk behavior but likely due to biological factors that make women more susceptible as well as the higher rate of infection within black communities.

)

So the increased rate of infection is partially caused by the higher rate of infection? Did I read that correctly?

Um...why is he partially blaming the increased rate of infection in BLACKS on biological factors common to ALL women regardless of skin color?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, even more of an incentive not to bang sistas.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

)

So the increased rate of infection is partially caused by the higher rate of infection? Did I read that correctly?

Um...why is he partially blaming the increased rate of infection in BLACKS on biological factors common to ALL women regardless of skin color?

I read that five times over and had that exact same reaction.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

)

Aren't circumcision rates lower among black males?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Now we know why they are always mackin on the white girls, they are hoping their shit won't get rotted off after a little lovin.

Face palm

Also race probably has a lot less to due with the rate of infection, compared to sexual activity and number of partners.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

)

I'll bet whoever wrote that could balance my checkbook.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0923528620100309

Translation: I'm invoking the rules of doublespeak so I don't have to talk about the real reason and sound racist.

edit: beat on that one I guess. The 12% for whites is an encouraging number. Just avoid the known sluts and you should be fine.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Lot of nasty ass hos out there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy fuck half of black chicks have herpes. I bet the other half is the older half too. I wonder what the rate would be for 18-35 black woman.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

)

I'll bet whoever wrote that could balance my checkbook.

But I wonder if he can spell 'tautology'?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

)

the elephant in the room told him to.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#18]
My clean bill of health must be like winning the powerball kinda odds if that's true, I should buy a ticket.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#19]
snatched this quote from the comments section, not all that great with math but the numbers seem in range:

The numbers are deceptive: blacks are 12% of the population and 40% are infected (5 in 12). While hispanics (15% of the population) are either ignored or lumped in with the whites and others (the remainng 88% of the population). Perhaps they were lumped in with blacks? I am pretty sure hispanics fall somewhere between whites and blacks contribution wise. Thus, dragging the numbers for whites irresponsibly higher than they actually are. Seeing as blacks (12% of the population) constitute 5 of the overall 16% infected that leaves just 11 infected that are not black, two thirds of which are female… resulting in fewer than 8 non black females and fewer than 4 non black males. Far from a crisis for white guys. (blacks guy 2/6, white guys 4/43… its a huge problem for the blacks compared to whites, no wonder our health insurance premiums are so high… if only the sick had to pay for themselves they might stop doing those things that plague them disproportionately.
SoulLeister

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I had the hots for a woman until I heard her phone in a prescription for Valtrex.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

)

Aren't circumcision rates lower among black males?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
snatched this quote from the comments section, not all that great with math but the numbers seem in range:

The numbers are deceptive: blacks are 12% of the population and 40% are infected (5 in 12). While hispanics (15% of the population) are either ignored or lumped in with the whites and others (the remainng 88% of the population). Perhaps they were lumped in with blacks? I am pretty sure hispanics fall somewhere between whites and blacks contribution wise. Thus, dragging the numbers for whites irresponsibly higher than they actually are. Seeing as blacks (12% of the population) constitute 5 of the overall 16% infected that leaves just 11 infected that are not black, two thirds of which are female… resulting in fewer than 8 non black females and fewer than 4 non black males. Far from a crisis for white guys. (blacks guy 2/6, white guys 4/43… its a huge problem for the blacks compared to whites, no wonder our health insurance premiums are so high… if only the sick had to pay for themselves they might stop doing those things that plague them disproportionately.
SoulLeister

If the other numbers are correct it would still be 16% female and 8% male, I'm not sure if he got it completely wrong or just worded it weird.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Guess black chicks are out of the question, then.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#24]
In reference to the video-I want my 7 minutes back.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Holy moly.

Clearly the CDC is both racist and sexist.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy moly.

Clearly the CDC is both racist and sexist.

Not really but that perception is why you will never hear these statistics on the news or from your elected officials.  Look up the Uniform Crime Report and National Crime Victimization Survey while your at it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had the hots for a woman until I heard her phone in a prescription for Valtrex.  

I have to take Valtrex, to safeguard against Shingles.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, it is a fact that it isn't a random distribution.

Stay away from whores/sluts, barflys, hippies and your normals pyscho "I miss daddy" types and you have a MUCH lower chance of getting it.

Better yet, live morally and only have sex with who you are married to, or at least in a serious considering marriage with, relationship and you will have even a LESS chance of getting it.  Less drama also.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I had the hots for a girl until I saw her after she returned from a trip to the beach. Apparently, lots of sun caused her face herpes to manifest. I made some logical assumptions from there and looked elsewhere.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Working in an ER, I can tell you that looks alone are pretty deceiving.  Seen plenty of clean, attractive looking females with vag's that would set your dick on fire
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Working in an ER, I can tell you that looks alone are pretty deceiving.  Seen plenty of clean, attractive looking females with vag's that would set your dick on fire

But look at the bright side - you would be inspired to write a great song from the experience. It would go something like...."Whooaaaooh, this sex is on fire..."

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

But look at the bright side - you would be inspired to write a great song from the experience. It would go something like...."Whooaaaooh, this sex is on fire..."

Probably best sang by a metal band, so the screaming matches the sensation.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm never having sex again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#35]
This is what happens when a government decriminalizes sexual immorality, disease and death.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is what happens when a government decriminalizes sexual immorality, disease and death.

EVERYBODY PANIC
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Insightful.

Pray tell, expound on this further, sir.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How about always use a condom unless married, even in a relationship.  I know of several examples of a woman attempting to get pregnant to "keep" a man.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about always use a condom unless married, even in a relationship.  I know of several examples of a woman attempting to get pregnant to "keep" a man.

Flat out happened to my best friend.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Tell me you are not serious. You want criminal charges for getting some ass? Is Herpes a felony or a misdemeanor in your world?

Oh and last time I checked criminalizing death is a zero sum argument. No way to prosecute the offender.

Most of the posts that you make have me doing this because I don't know if you are serious or if you just live in a basement.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me you are not serious. You want criminal charges for getting some ass? Is Herpes a felony or a misdemeanor in your world?

Oh and last time I checked criminalizing death is a zero sum argument. No way to prosecute the offender.

Most of the posts that you make have me doing this
because I don't know if you are serious or if you just live in a basement.

Let me help a little. "This is what happens when a government decriminalizes sexual immorality - disease and death."

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#42]
i dont believe those stats at all.  they must have been taken in an inner city poverty stricken area.  

if these stats are true,  at least 2 of my previous girlfriends have had herpes.  if this is true, i should have it as well but i am squeaky clean.

i think they write these statistics in order to be news/shock worthy
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#43]
My interpretation of this study is that 21% of women have slept with me.

Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Got me a new sig line!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sounds about right.

Bravo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the posts that you make have me doing this
because I don't know if you are serious or if you just live in a basement.

You're only confused because you're a few generations removed from the generation that decriminalized things such as sexual immorality. Consequently you've not been exposed to the ideas or concepts behind those laws.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#47]

WTF? Are you serious?

Perhaps you would be happier in Iranian or living under the Taliban. Very few countries have laws on the books about what consenting adults do sexually.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

WTF? Are you serious?
Perhaps you would be happier in Iranian or living under the Taliban. Very few countries have laws on the books about what consenting adults do sexually.

Actually, most governments do. You are probably removed from the generation that decriminalized sexual immorality. As a result, the very idea that morality has any connection to law seems like a foreign concept thanks to the efforts of legal positivists.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sounds about right.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You're only confused because you're a few generations removed from the generation that decriminalized things such as sexual immorality. Consequently you've not been exposed to the ideas or concepts behind those laws.

Because no one got syphilis before or during WWII.

No one.

Didn't happen.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top