Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 1:36:49 PM EDT
An interesting article from Oregon Live / The Oregonian. A PSU student gave a presentation discussing the inferiority of the AR-15 in comparison to the AK-47 and is now in hot water for having brought a broken down AR to class for the presentation. Thoughts about either part?

FTA:

"One afternoon last November, a Portland State University economics student gave a class presentation on what he described as the U.S. military's flawed reliance on one of its key combat rifles.

As a visual aid, Zachary Bucharest hauled out a duffel bag and withdrew the disassembled parts of a Colt AR-15, a semiautomatic version of the military M-16. For the next 15 or 20 minutes, he kept  professor John Hall's class engrossed as he lectured about the weapon's inferiority to the foreign-made AK-47."

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I pulled out some Mosins and Mausers for a WWII presentation in undergrad... and that was only about 4-5 years ago.  

No problems (though the people in the classroom, who had no advance notice, were floored. The prof, a Jesuit Korean War vet loved it).
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Im assuming that there is a no firearms policy for that school. If so I guess he shouldnt have brought one to school.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If guns aren't allowed on Campus, then they aren't allowed. Would have been a good idea to talk to the campus cops and get a permission letter or somthing. Ar-15>ak47 too
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
He's full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I pulled out some Mosins and Mausers for a WWII presentation in undergrad... and that was only about 4-5 years ago.  

No problems (though the people in the classroom, who had no advance notice, were floored. The prof, a Jesuit Korean War vet loved it).

I gave a presentation comparing the differences between the M-16/M-4 series and the AK for one of my engineering classes my Junior year of undergrad and had to stick with powerpoint.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#6]
That's what he gets for claiming a AK is superior to a AR.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
That's what he gets for being wrong

ETA: beat by under a minute
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#8]
He probably should have got in trouble for not giving a factual report.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was in school a kid brought a DRAGON MISSILE LAUNCHER to for the current events class.  It was AWESOME.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Watch this:

"We are ..."

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#11]
He brought an AR to class and then called it inferior to an AK?

Yep, he's a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually read the story...... all sorts of

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#13]
What a fucked up situation. Professor claims student is an FBI informant Check the teacher's desk, I bet there's a tinfoil hat in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I drove a Ford and a Chevy into my classroom to show why one was better than the other and the stupid people at the school expelled me for some dumb-ass reason.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Im assuming that there is a no firearms policy for that school. If so I guess he shouldnt have brought one to school.

Well, assuming he didn't bring the lower receiver, it would be on the school to define "firearm," since what he brought would not qualify as one by any legal definition.

But that's just pure speculation on both our parts.

As to the OP, the only thing the AK has going for it is the piston system - and that's only particularly beneficial if you need a SBR and/or suppressor.

The M-16A2 (and similar versions, including semi- variants) is a true "rifleman's rifle."  It is reliable when properly maintained and is capable of repeatable hits on a man-sized target out to 500 yards if the shooter does their part.  The same cannot be said of the AK.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#17]
That article jumps all over the place.

I got this much.  Isreali sniper sounds full of shit, teacher is a bit off and maybe the student is a fed anyways.

But seriously, the superiority of the AK, really, people play to much call of duty.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's what he gets for claiming a AK is superior to a AR.

YEP!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#19]
but was he professhunal enuff to whip out a gun in a classroom
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wow, you aren't kidding!  

Reading that almost made my head asplode.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He's full of shit.

This

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Watch this:

"We are ..."

Penn State!

What the fuck is Portland State?  PDX.edu is their website.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

FBI agents in schools promoting violence? Wut?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  

+1

Good luck to any jury that has to wade through that mess.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He's full of shit.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FBI agents in schools promoting violence? Wut?

Which ARF memebers are the Teacher/Student?      That story is
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#27]
So the professor begins to fear that this Guy is mentally unstable, and decides that the best way to deal with it is to devote classtime to calling the Guy out as a government spy, complete with visual aids?

That whole story is as fucked up as a football bat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He's full of shit.

Anybody who says the AR-15 platform is inferior to the AKM because of DI, is a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When I was in school a kid brought a DRAGON MISSILE LAUNCHER to for the current events class.  It was AWESOME.

When I was in school, I did a presentation on J. Robert Oppenheimer, and used black powder to create a mushroom cloud.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
He brought an AR to class and then called it inferior to an AK?

Yep, he's a fucking idiot.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Oregonians
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#32]
sounds like the kid was right on the money. I don't know what was wrong with that we used to bring guns to school and the only time we got in trouble was when a kid brought in a live dud from Fort Dix artillery range
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Odd go around to say the least.

Both strange.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oregonians

Have fun with that AWB.

Californians

( I am from Merced)
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oregonians

Yeah, you know soon they're going to start invading California

(Born in Eugene, raised in Portland)
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oregonians

couldnt help yourself could you?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

Seriously.  For you ADD kids, story goes like this.  Everybody like professor, everybody likes kid.  Kid claims to be former IDF sniper, talks a lot about war, killing, bombs, etc.  Prof and kid seem to get along, then one day prof goes ape shit and puts up a letter in class that he sent to the FBI saying he knows the kid is a snitch, is being run by FBI and is trying to lure other kids into crimes.  Professor is now on paid leave.

Final score, kid seems iffy, prof is deifnitely a nut.  Shocker, I know.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So the professor begins to fear that this Guy is mentally unstable, and decides that the best way to deal with it is to devote classtime to calling the Guy out as a government spy, complete with visual aids?

That whole story is as fucked up as a football bat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Said it better than I could.

I took my Mosin-Nagant in for a class during undergrad. Was presenting on the battle of Stalingrad. Then again, I cleared it with the prof and campus security beforehand.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#39]
AR > AK

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Epic fail all around.  Paranoid professor who attacks the lifestyle of a student and makes insanely wild accusations publicly. Retarded  A student who takes a firearm to class without letting the teacher or campus security know?  Poor choice.  I know I am going to get flamed for that one, but right or wrong, it sounds like this guy knew the campuses firearms rules.  There is a huge amount of BS on both sides of this case. Student made a poor choice, the professor went full retard and made personal, violating attacks on one of the people who looked up to him.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oregonians

couldnt help yourself could you?

Just had to.

I mean I read the entire article and went.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#42]
What a cluster.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Dang, you know what I just did.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Dam, there is a lot of WTF in that article.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top