Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2010 10:07:20 PM EDT
Anyone else notice the officers that have a number of years on the job or are retired are extremely quiet, and unassuming?

I work in a retail business and I had a customer yesterday that was the nicest guy I helped all day. Very polite, yes sir, no sir etc. He said he was married for 40 years, I asked him what was his secret? It came out that he was a retired NYPD cop who worked in some very dangerous precincts. He had the same demeanor as a family friend who is also a seasoned retired LEO, the two cops that transferred from the NYPD to my town PD, the investigators who did my background check for my pistol permit, the NYPD ESU officer I used to roll with in BJJ, and a few of the SWAT officers I have meet at shooting classes. Not one of these guys are particularly big, scary, or intimidating but I bet they have all seen some shit. Generally they are the last people who want you to know what they do or have done. I also noticed this among a customer with multiple tours in Vietnam and another who did ten years in Attica.
It's odd because I deal with a ton of desk jockeys all day long and their demeanor is completely different. From the way they act you would think they were rambo.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, it all depends on the individual. I've seen high strung senior officers (albeit, very few of them) and some unusually friendly/laid back rookies. Given, most of your new guys are gonna be by-the-book, high-energy types because they haven't "seen it all yet." A few years OTJ will usually throttle them back.

As for the retired guys, I guess they've been "bad-ass" for all those years. Now it's time to relax and get to enjoy life.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Honestly, it all depends on the individual. I've seen high strung senior officers (albeit, very few of them) and some unusually friendly/laid back rookies. Given, most of your new guys are gonna be by-the-book, high-energy types because they haven't "seen it all yet." A few years OTJ will usually throttle them back.

As for the retired guys, I guess they've been "bad-ass" for all those years. Now it's time to relax and get to enjoy life.

Pretty much.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
"license and registration please"

"here you go,  and just so you know I have a CCW and I'm carrying a firearm"

"OK,  thanks... don't go for yours and I won't go for mine..."

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

VS

ZOMG!!

OK don't move,  where is it,  ok get out slowly....why do you have a gun ZOMG!!

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Old school is best,  but unfortunately most big departments have run of all the dinosaurs and have hired folks better suited to be social workers...

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:34:57 AM EDT
[#4]
People who are confident in their abilities have no need to show off or project an attitude.  When I hear people talking smack,  I think of posers.
Not an LEO
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The old joke comes to mind (came from the movie "Colors")

2 Bulls were on a hill looking down at a herd of cows.

The young bull says to the old bull, "hey, how about we run down there and fuck one of those cows?"

The old bull looks at the young one and says, "No.  How about we walk down and fuck them all?"

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Old school is best,  but unfortunately most big departments have run of all the dinosaurs and have hired folks better suited to be social workers...

That's what society wants.

The current society would NOT stand for "old school" law enforcement.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The old joke comes to mind (came from the movie "Colors")

2 Bulls were on a hill looking down at a herd of cows.
The young bull says to the old bull, "hey, how about we run down there and fuck one of those cows?"
The old bull looks at the young one and says, "No.  How about we walk down and fuck them all?"

This.
We need more Hodges (Duvall's character), the older, cool headed peace officer who actually got co-operation from the locals because he was firm but fair.  We need a lot less JBT "Pac-Man" McGavin (Penn) young hot head bullyboy badgetards who with their "respect may authoritay!!!!" dickheadedness piss away the good will & respect cops like Hodges garner.
IIRC Frog (from the mixed race 21st St gang) tipped off the cops re the gangster "hit" order out on McGavin...not because he gave a shit if douchebag McGavin got smoked but because of the respect he had for Hodges.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People who are confident in their abilities have no need to show off or project an attitude.  When I hear people talking smack,  I think of posers.
Not an LEO

Agreed, same goes for military and many other professions. Would be odd to hear a doctor talk like someone from the WWF when he comes into look over your chart.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#9]
The old guys who still work the streets or worked them for quite awhile have nothing left to prove, they don't need to jump into the dick measuring contest.  Its the same with combat vets of several engagements.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what society wants.

The current society would NOT stand for "old school" law enforcement.

this too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top