Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2010 6:54:09 PM EDT
I'm ready to get my first dog and understand the responsibilities that come with it.  

I'm looking for a dog that does the following:

Doesn't shed
I don't have to worry about stepping on and killing
Moderately intelligent
Doesn't go completely nuts/good around kids
Can handle trail running/camping with me

I plan to exercise it daily in the mornings and crate it until I return from work.  I never thought I would go this way, but I'm thinking a standard poodle for me would be the best fit.  Any advice would be well appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Breed shopping is all good, but nothing compares to going to the shelter and seeing which dogs are friendly toward you.

The biggest mistake I'd caution you against is to get too much dog.  Some of these guys get a GSD or mal just because they're tough dogs, and the guys don't realize that the dogs want to be working all the time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Labradoodle won't shed. Cooler than a poodle, and cuter too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I researched labradoodles and actually most of them do shed.  I had the same thought as well.

I also agree with the size.  I'm looking for a "medium" sized dog.  I grew up with Golden's all my life and while I love them to death, I'd like a dog that I won't have to yell at if he goes on the couch with me.  Poodles are a bit on the larger size but not too big, imo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Frankly, it sounds like you'd like a poodle, whether it sheds or not.

I have a long haired cat.  Vacuum once in a while, wipe sofas and chairs with a damp paper towel every week or two, run a brush over the bed comforter once in a while, that's basically it.  No big deal.

A shedding dog wouldn't bother me.  Smelly dog might.  Don't have to bathe a cat, so I have no experience with pet smell.

If you want a poodle, get a poodle.  If anyone gives you shit about it, fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I would strongly recommend a whippet.  Great family dogs, very loyal and becomes part of the pack easily.  Also they have two speeds, 35 mph and 0 mph

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I researched labradoodles and actually most of them do shed.  I had the same thought as well.
I also agree with the size.  I'm looking for a "medium" sized dog.  I grew up with Golden's all my life and while I love them to death, I'd like a dog that I won't have to yell at if he goes on the couch with me.  Poodles are a bit on the larger size but not too big, imo.
Only a pure bred Poodle won't shed.

It drives me nuts when people talk about this breed and that breed won't shed.  If it is a mix it will shed.

There are a few other breeds(smaller breeds - you don't feel you want that) that shed minimally but they do shed more if they are mixed with another breed that does shed. </pathetic rant>
I love poodles, and would tell anyone to get them right off, but I also agree with JB that picking a breed based on standards is not always the best choice.  Not all animals in a breed will act the same and you have to be able to be ready to deal with it should you get a "black sheep".
However - based on the majority of your choosing points I would also suggest you look at a spaniel of some sort..

Brittany possibly? http://www.dovehunt.com/bird_dogs/brittany_spaniels.htm

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
My suggestion is a Miniature Schnauzer.  I have two and they are have great personalities and have been good companions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_Schnauzer
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#8]
How about a weimaraner

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vizsla

Meets your stated requirements well.  Had to put ours down recently and I miss her terribly. (Obviously not her in the picture...)

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#10]
you need an american dikfer
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Boston Terriers are low maint. in terms of fur.  Not to sure about camping.  The dog would insist you share your sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Greyhound.  Rescue societies have them.  They save them from the track when they are retired or otherwise no longer performing.  They sleep A LOT.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought I liked mutts best, but even better is 1st gen hybrids. I raised a 1/2 Chessie/ 1/2 lab for my parents. My Dad calls me weekly to
let me know how amazing he is. Calm, intelligent, and even beter than trainable, he is intuitive.

I got Lou as a replacement for Ziggy who was a 2nd gen hybrid and who was fantastic dog.........after about 4 years of training.  She was 12 or so and had bone cancer.  I raised her until she was 5.  My parents lost 2 dogs in a year and had taken a shine forwards Zig and could offer her a better home at the time.

I loved Zig. She had personality to spare and could intuit new commands as well, she was just a freakish hellion for several years. She was well worth the effort. Lou at 6 months was all that Zig ever was at 5 or 6, and that is saying alot.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Get over the shedding issue and get a Lab.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ill bite, whats an american dikfer
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#17]
The best dogs come from the pound.

PetFinder
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pissing of course.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]
German shorthair pointer. I think they shed very little or not at all and is a managable size. Thats the Dog im getting when it comes time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Labradoodle won't shed. Cooler than a poodle, and cuter too.

and has a homo name..... Stop or my labradoodle will bite you.. WTF ever.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#21]

those are wonderfull dogs.

I vote boxer.. Best dog ever...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Pissing of course.

I use mine for other stuff, too
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Get over the shedding issue and get a Lab.

This.

My boy Gunny.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Yorkie.  No shed, no allergies, smart as hell, but stubborn.  Jeff
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Leaving a dog in a crate for 8 hours or more is kind of long, even if it is exercized. What are you going to do when you go out of town?

Neglected doggies are bad doggies.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Leaving a dog in a crate for 8 hours or more is kind of long, even if it is exercized. What are you going to do when you go out of town?

Neglected doggies are bad doggies.

Agreed.

I'm actually 10-15mins from work and plan on going home for lunch.  I also work from home 1-2 days a week so it shouldn't be bad.  

When I'm out of town, I have friends with dogs that offered to help out if I help them when they leave and I can always take it with me!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I vote for goldendoodle  - Ours is 3.5 yrs old and is a great dog... Very smart (too smart at times), and he has hair (not fur) and sheds only slightly - you can hardly pull hair out of him if you even try..  

here's our Snicker wearing his UGG boots hehe

Brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top