Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:55:55 AM EDT
For the last 18 months I've been putting half my income into savings, retirement and investment accounts.   To make it happen I had to move to a smaller apartment and put off all large expenditures, but I've gone from being in debt to having enough liquid assets to cover 2 years worth of normal expenses should my job disappear.  I also get a big thrill out of watching the dividends roll in.

Any other ARFcommers with aspirations for early retirement?

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been putting roughly 50% into guns and ammo this last year.  Does that count?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#2]
trying too, but I only make about 26k a year takehome, so 12 k or so in saving builds up slowwww.

But then I am 26 and have 40k in the bank and zero debt.  If i could just decide where to settle down I will soon be able to buy a house in just about any rural are for cash
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#3]
not 50%, but I did just up my 401K contribution % again.  As soon as I finish paying off my debt, I'll be socking away a lot more.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]
No, I have to eat unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm around 40% gross income going into savings/investments/paying down mortgage early.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I wish I could get to 50%, now I save about 20% of income.  I just don't feel good unless I have ~2 years worth of mortgage payments in the bank.  Good job man.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been putting roughly 50% into guns and ammo this last year.  Does that count?

Only if you plan to sell them for a profit at some point in the future.  Otherwise they're just collectibles.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#8]
finishing paying off some debt right now, but i expect to pocket at least 50% of my salary this year between 401K, cash, and stocks :)
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I probably save about 80%
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Good for you I'm actually trying to talk my wife into moving so we can do something similar. Tired of just getting by we have a paid for house that we cannot get rented(inherited in 08) .Instead of paying a mortgage of $1500 man I could do a lot better things with that $$. We may end up having to do it anyway due to my work dwindling to very little. Good job and good luck . BTW  you listen to Dave ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice!  Any tips?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm doing the same thing...except I'm closer to 60-70% saving/paying off debt.  I'm splitting the savings between all sorts of dividend yielding stocks and my student loans (6.1%).  

I've been doing a bit of research on the dividend stocks, and what I like is a stock that pays less in dividend than it makes (you gotta be careful on some of those...GM was "yielding" over 10% before its stock went to zero).  If they aren't making more money than they are paying out, they either have to start making more money or they are going to cut the dividend.

Another criteria I look for is that historically the dividend has been going up.  I look back 10 years and see what the quarterly dividend was and compare it to now.  For instance, I like AT&T (ticker :T) right now.  It makes more than it pays out, and its dividend has gone up from 0.244 (Jan of 2000) to .42 each quarter in the last 10 years.  Right now at 6.7% yield its not too bad.

I rent and don't have a payment anymore on my car, thankfully.  When I do buy a car, I intend to pay cash.  I am going to start saving a set amount monthly just for a vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good for you I'm actually trying to talk my wife into moving so we can do something similar. Tired of just getting by we have a paid for house that we cannot get rented(inherited in 08) .Instead of paying a mortgage of $1500 man I could do a lot better things with that $$. We may end up having to do it anyway due to my work dwindling to very little. Good job and good luck . BTW  you listen to Dave ?

I don't agree with all of Dave's advice, but I think his basic message is sound.   Good luck on the path to financial independence!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#14]
are savings rates that good now?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice!  Any tips?

He lives in his van, you know, down by the river.

ETA:  My wife and I are about at 60% paying debt down using min payments then paying whole debt sources off at once (one at a time).

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't worry..........the Government is saving for you. And, they keep on extending unemployment bennies........there is no end.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!  Any tips?

He lives in his van, you know, down by the river.

My goal is to move onto a sailing catamran, down by the Carribean.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!  Any tips?

Make good money, keep your bills and desires low. That's about it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#19]
We live on 10% of my income, I invest the rest in me mostly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
are savings rates that good now?

Interest rates on CDs are garbage now, but there are lots of high quality stocks with growth potential that offer 3-6% dividend yeilds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I can't afford to set aside 50 %
Even when I was overseas, the best I could manage was 25%.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I wish I could put away that much.

I like to party too much, and buy new things.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to do that. I'll do more than that in the future because I like watching compound interest grow.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For the last 18 months I've been putting half my income into savings, retirement and investment accounts.   To make it happen I had to move to a smaller apartment and put off all large expenditures, but I've gone from being in debt to having enough liquid assets to cover 2 years worth of normal expenses should my job disappear.  I also get a big thrill out of watching the dividends roll in.

This is usually where all of the INTJs come out of the woodwork.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Not just no, but hell no.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you plan to sell them for a profit at some point in the future.  Otherwise they're just collectibles.

They dont seem to be losing much value. Especially compared to houses , stocks,401ks ,etc over the past 5 years.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

INTJ here...
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

INTJ here...

Same.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

INTJ here...

Same.

GTFO, this thread is now owned by ESTJ's!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm doing the same thing...except I'm closer to 60-70% saving/paying off debt.  I'm splitting the savings between all sorts of dividend yielding stocks and my student loans (6.1%).  

I've been doing a bit of research on the dividend stocks, and what I like is a stock that pays less in dividend than it makes (you gotta be careful on some of those...GM was "yielding" over 10% before its stock went to zero).  If they aren't making more money than they are paying out, they either have to start making more money or they are going to cut the dividend.

Another criteria I look for is that historically the dividend has been going up.  I look back 10 years and see what the quarterly dividend was and compare it to now.  For instance, I like AT&T (ticker :T) right now.  It makes more than it pays out, and its dividend has gone up from 0.244 (Jan of 2000) to .42 each quarter in the last 10 years.  Right now at 6.7% yield its not too bad.

I rent and don't have a payment anymore on my car, thankfully.  When I do buy a car, I intend to pay cash.  I am going to start saving a set amount monthly just for a vehicle.

Check out LINE.  It's a Texas natural gas company that has structured itself to pay out high dividends to attract conservative investors who will hold on and accumulate its stock.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Check out LINE.  It's a Texas natural gas company that has structured itself to pay out high dividends to attract conservative investors who will hold on and accumulate its stock.

Pipeline companies are often structured in similar ways.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I wish I could save 50%, but try to get around 33% of my income into savings.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Linn Energy is not a traditional stock but instead an MLP, the yield is sweet but MLPs have some complicated tax implications much different from a normal dividend stock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linn Energy is not a traditional stock but instead an MLP, the yield is sweet but MLPs have some complicated tax implications much different from a normal dividend stock.

Yep.  There are tax disadvantages to holding MLPs in certain tax-advantaged accounts, like IRAs.

ETE is my MLP of choice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Early retirement?  How about aspiring to a cushy six-figure government job where you never have to retire?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Half....so that'd be 25 bucks a week.  Yeah, I could probably do that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#37]
You should really read YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIFE by Domingez.

Souds like it would benefit you and what your are doing. It is a great book.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#38]
In a regular brokerage account are any tax implications to owning MLP's like Line or do they still get taxed as regular dividends?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Taxation of MLP payouts is treated very differently, and is much  more complicated than normal dividends. some portion of the payments will be treated as a return of capital (thus you'll have to pay more capital gains tax if/when you sell your shares in the MLP), and others may be taxed at normal income tax rates rather than dividend tax rates.  You may also be required to file state taxes in every state which the MLP operates if you're above a certain limit.

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=203288
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#40]
not possible for me. Just paid off the truck a few weeks ago. Tax returns will be a little better this year due to the 3 month old so that's going to pay off the 3k on the CC bill. All I'll have left is monthly expenses and a mortgage.

The mortgage is 1/3 of my monthly take home.

Roughly 250$ goes into my retirement fund which has gotten a 21% return this past year.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#41]
yeah right.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Almost. I take home $450 a fortnight, and $200 goes in the 'no touchy' savings account.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Will not be able to do it for awhile.

Just bought a house.   House payment will be roughly 1/2 of my monthly income.

Once I manage to get out of all other debt but the house payment, I will start diverting money into savings and investments as much as possible.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I max out my TSP and Roth every year, that's about 30-40% of my income.  I refuse to invest in taxable stocks/bonds and let uncle sam have everything I earn.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I am forced to live pretty much hand to mouth. I'm lucky to put $50.00 a month into my IRA
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#47]
i've been routing fifteen percent of my take-home into a navy fed account that i opened six years ago. beyond that, all i have is 401k and some stocks.

i have to stop being so lazy and make my money work for myself.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

Bravo.  I manage 40-50%

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#49]
if you are going to invest make sure not to dump money on one or two stocks... check out various etf funds... and pay attention to fees that are charged.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How? Unless, as others have said, you live in a van....or you have a high six figure income and live cheaply.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top