Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2002 7:41:17 PM EDT
Found out the real meaning of pain on Wednesday morning. Living in Wisconsin in the winter we all have to deal with ice and snow, found out the hard way while walking into work, slipped on a patch of ice, no big deal, done it a million times, felt myself going down, left foot stopped where the ice ended and the dry pavement began, made that celery stalk cracking sound, down I went! Looked at my left foot and it was all twisted the wrong way, holy shit! I did it this time. Needless to say, had surgery Thursday afternoon, 2 pins and a plate, broke the small bone, tibia I belive, the worst part was the resetting, they gave me morphine, said it would knock me out for 20 minutes or so, yeah right, sitting there in the ER looking at the 2 doctors waiting for it to work, it didn't, they reset it, and I didn't pass out! Looks like 8 weeks or so at home, workman's comp and disability insurance will cover my finances OK. Not a good way to start the day! At least I can get the rest of my parts together for my new upper that I am building for my SP-1!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I still cringe when I think of that snapping sound!

In my young and stupid days (uhh.. 8 years ago) I was doing trick on my BMX bike. Came down hard and suffered a compound fracture of my left collarbone.

Nothing like hearing your own bone grind against concrete.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Been there, done that.  My sympathies Dude!

My wife slipped on stairs last summer and broker her ankle and tibia.  I was inside, downstairs, about 50 feet away, and heard the crack.  My neighbor, 200 feet away in his garage heard the snap too, and came running.

You know, I get sick to my stomach just remembering the sound.  You suck Dude!  (Just kidding).

Good luck, you will get better.  Get moving ASAP and you will heal faster.  Be thankful it wasn't your head, and remember, pain is God's way of letting us know we are still alive.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell yes, they really make "that sound"! And the sound is disgustingly louder, & more disconcerting when it's coming from you, isn't it?!?

You ought hear the sound of your own neck breaking along with your clavicle X2, your right arm snapping in three places, & having to spit out the teeth you managed not to swallow just for good measure.[BD]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Fortunately I was wearing a helmet when I hit the dirt and did not hear the sound.  I actually did not know anything happened, got up and thought just the wind got knocked out of me, then went to take off my helmet and lifted up my left arm and my hand was pointing back at my body.  I broke both bones in my left forearm about three inches back from my wrist.  Fortunately we have a family friend who was able to set both bones without plates and screws. Took well over a year to get even close to normal, but now it is good and no metal in my arm, or big scar, just lack the little bump on the outside of my wrist.  [:)]

Nothing like hearing your own bone grind against concrete.
View Quote

Ah yes BMX, did that also on my right hip, nice big strawberry down to the bone.  Between that and the solid square foot of tire rubber burned into the skin on the inside of my left leg it was just a fun time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I would tell you I heard that when I broke my nose, but I got distracted by the large concrete, uh... parking lot... hitting me face-first.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Well at least no one else here broke both legs at once ! god that was the most awful summer of my life !
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Get well [:X]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I race motocross, so I know your pain....2 summers ago I totally smashed a bone in my foot, and needed surgery, had to have a chunk of bone taken outta my hip, and put into my foot to replace the one I smashed, then had 6 pins to hold it together....3 months outta work (didnt say it was ALL bad :) lol )  hopefully yours heals up nicely.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:51:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Yikes, man I cringed when I read that!!!!  Bones make one hell of a sound when they snap.  I broke my leg in the backyard of a friends house when I was but a wee lad.  My friends dad heard it snap out front of the house! Then heard me scream for my life basically.  

I was on a tramploine.  You know, on the rectangle ones where they have those braces around the outside?  They form kind of a long triangle.  Well I went off on an angle while jumping.  My leg went into the V and my head hit the ground. Well my leg was still caught in the V and I had what looked like a second knee except this knee went the opposite way a normal knee does.  I tell you, that can change a 5th graders life pretty quick.  

I feel for you.  Take care of yourself.  Speedy recovery I wish you.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I was sitting in a sidewalk cafe in San Juan.
Along comes this group of drunken tourists.  One girl was walking along the edge of the curb, when she stumbled and fell.  
That sound.  
There she was, laying in the street, with her bone trying to pop through the skin of her lower leg, making a huge swelling lump.
Her friend comes over and sees the swelling.  The idiot takes an ice cube out of his drink, and starts rubbing it on the spot where the bone is trying to poke through...
I come over and tell him:

"Dude, that swelling won't go down by rubbing an ice cube on it, that's the bone.  AND, that's not the kind of pain that ONE ice cube is going to help relieve.   Just try not to let her see it, she might go into shock..."

Moron tells her about the compound fracture- she passes out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:18:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh, the sound of breaking bones. I've heard it many times....fingers, arm, toes, feet, collar bone, hand. The only ones I couldn't hear were the ribs from a motorcycle wreck and the time I cracked my skull when the only thing I could hear was a loud ringing noise.

Just hang in there man, they all heal eventually. [BD]

PonyThe(AlwaysGettingHurt)Boy
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:40:01 AM EDT
[#13]
46 years old and never had a broken bone or stiches and I ("used to") lead a fairly robust life with dirt bikes, down hill skis, chain saws, rock climbing/spelunking gear, tree stands for archery....

Actually I still own all that stuff I'm just a little more afraid/respectful of it now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
46 years old and never had a broken bone or stiches and I ("used to") lead a fairly robust life with dirt bikes, down hill skis, chain saws, rock climbing/spelunking gear, tree stands for archery....

Actually I still own all that stuff I'm just a little more afraid/respectful of it now.
View Quote

You should consider yourself lucky. I just turned 25 and I've broken about 20 bones and had two surgeries due to injuries. Somehow I've stayed away from stitches not counting surgery. I also tore two tendons in my foot playing softball last year.

Maybe I just play too rough [:)]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I really wish you hadn't brought this up. I broke both my ankles a different times in my life and both times it hurt like hell! Neither time was it as bad as yours. I never needed pins or anything like that, just 6 weeks in a cast both times.
Both times were stupid. Once playing basketball the guys said there was a crack in the asphalt under the far side net and I assumed they meant the small crack and ignored their warnings. In reality there was a 4 inch crack that was 3 inches deep. The other time I had tripped walking down a flight of stairs, totally stupid!
I still get pain when I hear other people talking about breaking ankles.

I wish you a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Hate to hear that, But it looks like your making the best out of it.[bd] Hang in there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well at least no one else here broke both legs at once ! god that was the most awful summer of my life !
View Quote

oh boy!!!

mid december my father was walking into the bank for a delivery and slipped on some ice, the bank hadn't put rock salt out yet).
not broken but about as close to it as you can get.
blew his knee right out. emergency room visit ambulance the works.

but wait it gets worse, 1 week later going in for a check up at the docs office. crutch slips out from under him, blew his OTHER knee same way.

emergency room visit, ambulance and this time he doesnt leave the hospital for a good two months, had to have surgery on both knees then he spent about 4 months homebound.

he still doesnt walk the same and physical activity is somewhat limited.

we will be paying off the uninsured bills for many years to come.

the bank payed for the first knee only. and he was trying to take the staires when the doc had a accessable ramp, (albeit unmarked)..

so there you have it. i know what  its like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top