Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Aliens visiting us (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/22/2024 9:42:13 AM EDT
Radio waves started emitting from the Earth 122 years ago, in about 1902.
That is 63240.87 astronomical units. You figure out the miles.

Under the "Contact" scenario, we have been announcing ourselves to the universe for that long. There is a sphere 244 light years in diameter that has the possibility of "hearing" us.

How many stars are in that sphere? How many have habitable planets? How many of those planets are inhabited? How many of them have LOOK (Life Of Our Kind*) inhabiting them?

Life Of Our Kind means living organisms capable of communicating with us. I'm not interested in fungus balls, I want alien organisms... green skinned ones, preferably.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It's coming, don't worry.

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#2]
It might take a bit....probably not this week.

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ngc1300:

https://i.imgur.com/Xz2dmka.jpeg
View Quote

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." I'll take my chances with aliens, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Our radio waves that far out are likely indiscernible from background noise.

Then you have the distinct possibility that we don't really want them to know we are here
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

Under the "Contact" scenario, we have been announcing ourselves to the universe for that long. There is a sphere 244 light years in diameter that has the possibility of "hearing" us.

How many stars are in that sphere? How many have habitable planets? How many of those planets are inhabited? How many of them have LOOK (Life Of Our Kind*) inhabiting them?

Life Of Our Kind means living organisms capable of communicating with us. I'm not interested in fungus balls, I want alien organisms... green skinned ones, preferably.
View Quote

Yes green skinned ones with long blonde hair and big bobbies that wear heels.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ulster:

https://i.postimg.cc/vmKkQsD0/1503605069-20130115-radio-broadcasts-2.jpg
View Quote
ANY DAY NOW!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By feudist:
ANY DAY NOW!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By feudist:

ANY DAY NOW!!!

Also....this.

We live on the edge...

Scientists have discovered that our Galaxy, the Milky Way, may be located on the border of one of these voids in one of the corners of the Universe, known as the “Local Void”. Previously, it was determined that the size of this void was about 60 megaparsecs (about 200 million light-years). But this is only part of the overall map.

The Local Void can be much larger – up to 600 megaparsecs across. It is known as the Local Hole or the Keenan-Barger-Cowie (KBC).

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mach:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

Then you have the distinct possibility that we don't really want them to know we are here
View Quote

I sort of lean in this direction. Even if they are benevolent, contact with such creatures will be destructive of Earth culture.

"I can never look now at the Milky Way without wondering from which of those banked clouds of
stars the emissaries are coming. If you will pardon so commonplace a simile, we have set off the
fire-alarm and have nothing to do but to wait.
I do not think we will have to wait for long."
-Arthur C. Clarke, "The Sentinel."
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Someone doesn’t understand inverse square law.

Our radio transmissions become indistinguishable from background noise before they leave our solar system.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

Our radio transmissions become indistinguishable from background noise before they leave our solar system.
View All Quotes

That's exactly what a secret Greenie would say...
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ceetee:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ceetee:

Nah, I got a prescription for that and I’m all better now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is the thing....

For any lifeforms out there that can receive our signals, and decode them. I figure it goes like this.

Alien 1. Hey we got a signal!!!!!

Alien 2. What number is it coming from?

Alien 1. Earth.

Aliens 2 and 3. It is a spam call. Ignore it and put it on the block list. All they want to do is sell us fake shit, take our hard earned resources and limit our freedoms. I wish they would put in as much time to expanding freedom, let people keep what they earned, and stop scamming each other, as they do with all their B.S.

Alien 1. Hey Marvin. How it that earth death ray coming?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I've long imagined some warlike alien species picking up old I Love Lucy episodes and declaring war on planet Earth.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#16]
we are alone in the universe.  

yes i know: but muh waste of space, too big durrrr
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tct1000:

View Quote

That is what they want you to think.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#18]
wasn't there a Netflix documentary on this already?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Darrellbear:
I've long imagined some warlike alien species picking up old I Love Lucy episodes and declaring war on planet Earth.  
View Quote

It would more likely be radio broadcasts about world wars
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Also....this.

We live on the edge...

Scientists have discovered that our Galaxy, the Milky Way, may be located on the border of one of these voids in one of the corners of the Universe, known as the “Local Void”. Previously, it was determined that the size of this void was about 60 megaparsecs (about 200 million light-years). But this is only part of the overall map.

The Local Void can be much larger – up to 600 megaparsecs across. It is known as the Local Hole or the Keenan-Barger-Cowie (KBC).

View Quote

It's hilarious how humans think we know absolutely anything about the greater Universe, and put all these cutesy names on everything.  For all we know we're in a shoebox under something's bed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#21]
These threads are always so annoying.

Apparently all alien life in the universe is made up of pretentious, psychopathic assholes.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#22]
They’re already here bro. Still here from the last experiment.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
These threads are always so annoying.

Apparently all alien life in the universe is made up of pretentious, psychopathic assholes.
View Quote

And yet, here you are.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#25]

And yet, here you are.
View Quote

It's a reflection of how most people think about these things. Either they don't think about alien life at all, in any context. Or aliens are snootier than the most pretentious Ivy League graduates and their only possible interest in humanity is hunting us for sport.

Probably an inevitable result of decades of science fiction tropes. It just gets annoying when you see the same story over and over and over and over again.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Thanks, I was going to go find this image, 244 light years doesn't even span 1/100th of the Milky Way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

You are missing the fact that it took 4 billion years of "evolution" on earth to arrive to the point we can launch a man into space.  

The older I get the more I sense that we are it, the universe is just a backdrop, even the distances is a sign from God to humble us.  

We are the aliens.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

like scooping a cup of water out of the ocean and looking into it saying that there is no whales.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

I think that's very likely, and the inverse square law is a harsh mistress.  It's not like we're deliberately broadcasting as powerful signal as we can into space in as many directions as possible.  Whatever radio signals are inadvertently being broadcast (or "leaking" out) are at very low power, and diminishing dramatically over distance.  So it's not like some alien civilization would suddenly be drowning in our radio signals when they are theoretically within range.  They'd have to be looking for it, with insanely sensitive detectors, IMO.

I think the whole "our radio signals are reaching this far" thing is mostly a theoretical observation, and likely not something with any real implications.

Then again, if we are making assumptions about alien technology, who knows how sensitive it could be, and what might be detected?  If some advanced alien civilization had their own SETI program and had really sophisticated tech, I guess anything is possible.     ... I just don't think it's plausible or likely.
View All Quotes

I think that's very likely, and the inverse square law is a harsh mistress.  It's not like we're deliberately broadcasting as powerful signal as we can into space in as many directions as possible.  Whatever radio signals are inadvertently being broadcast (or "leaking" out) are at very low power, and diminishing dramatically over distance.  So it's not like some alien civilization would suddenly be drowning in our radio signals when they are theoretically within range.  They'd have to be looking for it, with insanely sensitive detectors, IMO.

I think the whole "our radio signals are reaching this far" thing is mostly a theoretical observation, and likely not something with any real implications.

Then again, if we are making assumptions about alien technology, who knows how sensitive it could be, and what might be detected?  If some advanced alien civilization had their own SETI program and had really sophisticated tech, I guess anything is possible.     ... I just don't think it's plausible or likely.

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#30]
How faint would the radio signal be at 244 light years?

After an AU or 2, I be it's mostly background noise... do radio waves suffer redshift?  If so, even less likely to hear us.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:24:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: peanutman] [#31]
How come we have never received any communication from anyone not from this planet?

We have sent out billions of transmissions.

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By timeless:

like scooping a cup of water out of the ocean and looking into it saying that there is no whales.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By timeless:

more like dipping a planet sized cup of mixed elements with only a tiny fraction of it being usable in maybe forming a primordial soup in the hope that life randomly assembles itself from it.  And then thinking that process is easy and repeatable in relatively minuscule, finite timescale.  

the odds of abiogenesis occurring will most likely far outweigh even an entire universe full of possible life sustaining planets timescale.  we are a mistake... an exception... a gift
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

I see you too have seen the documentaries of the nc-1701 …
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#34]

more like dipping a planet sized cup of mixed elements with only a tiny fraction of it being usable in maybe forming a primordial soup in the hope that life randomly assembles itself from it.  And then thinking that process is easy and repeatable in relatively minuscule, finite timescale.  

the odds of abiogenesis occurring will most likely far outweigh even an entire universe full of possible life sustaining planets timescale.  we are a mistake... an exception... a gift
View Quote

Given that we've only been at it 50 years to replicate abiogenesis in a lab setting vs nature's hundreds of millions of years, it might take us a while
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

That's my fetish
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#36]
They are already here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." I'll take my chances with aliens, thanks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
Originally Posted By ngc1300:

https://i.imgur.com/Xz2dmka.jpeg

with every passing day the creation of "aliens" right here on earth is becoming much more of a reality.  bit of CrispR here, a bit of AI over there, and bingo now you are an insignificant flea.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

this
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Space is fake and gay.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

Given that we've only been at it 50 years to replicate abiogenesis in a lab setting vs nature's hundreds of millions of years, it might take us a while
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

you do realize that Earth could have spawned numerous other abiogenesis life forms in it's billions of years, right? - since it's apparently so easy to do so.  but it didn't, it's happened only once here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:51:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaGoose] [#41]

View All Quotes

The Arecibo Message was sent at a much higher power level, so should be able to be detected across the galaxy in 100K years :).

https://www.celestis.com/blog/message-sent-into-space-and-what-we-heard-back/
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GlockZen:

You are missing the fact that it took 4 billion years of "evolution" on earth to arrive to the point we can launch a man into space.  

View Quote

Who's to say that the Zorgs didn't launch their first Zorganian in just two billion years.  Maybe the Gergs did it in just one billion years.

That gives the Zorgs and Gergs two to three BILLION years to figure out how to get here from there - assuming we started at the same time.

It's even possible their civilization started billions of years before ours.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Just a point of fact.

The inverse square law forces a radio signal into the noise floor very quickly but the signal is still detectable and usable. This is done all of the time in communications.

I took “Stochastic Processes with Random Signals” and “Electromagnetic Fields and Waves” the same semester. Fun math.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrKlahn] [#44]
5.8 trillion miles traveled  in 122 years give or take.

Speed of light is calculated to 669 million miles per hour and Is 5.8 trillion miles in distance.

So the earliest signal would’ve traveled 1 light year by now.  

With all the space, TECH and telescopes that we haven’t satellites, we should be able to pick up something within that area by now
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:58:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DefMan] [#45]

View Quote

ACK ACK? ACK ACK ACK....ACK?

ETA: This one not Star Trek one

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#47]
We'll make good pets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#48]
And how powerful were the radio signals broadcast from this planet a century ago?

To think they have somehow traveled intact as far as light speed would allow over that time is the stuff of science fiction/fantasy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:04:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#49]
Aliens are a psyop by the government to keep conspiracy folks busy with bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:05:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJ_Dual] [#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Aliens visiting us (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top